DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:34 PM

http://www.baltimore...0217-story.html

"In the wrong hands, this software — which does not exist today — would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone's physical possession," [Apple CEO Tim] Cook wrote. "The FBI may use different words to describe this tool, but make no mistake: Building a version of iOS that bypasses security in this way would undeniably create a back door. And while the government may argue that its use would be limited to this case, there is no way to guarantee such control."

@DJ_McCann

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm like 75% on Apple's side here.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

So when they say "hey Apple, we need you to build this thing that doesn't exist", does that get scoped and priced by Apple's project management team?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

I'm like 75% on Apple's side here.

I'm sure Apple would prefer to not be on Apple's side about this... they sure as hell don't *want* to look like they're somehow "siding with the terrorists" (which is what some maniacs are gonna claim, you just watch)...

The problem is that there's no way to do what the gov't is asking for without letting every gov't everywhere nose around in everybody's business...  if there was a way to do that, then Apple would... but there isn't, so they're not...

Plus, I don't know enough to know if Apple can even do what they're asking... because if Apple could, then you know damn well the NSA could... and if the FBI is suing Apple to do it for them, I'm guessing it's because the NSA guys told the FBI to forget it, it's not happening...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:09 PM

What could possibly be on that phone that would make it worth potentially surrendering the privacy of every American?

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

What could possibly be on that phone that would make it worth potentially surrendering the privacy of every American?

Seriously? There could be a ton of shit on there that the FBI could find useful. Depends on how well the terrorists covered their tracks.

@bopper33

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

Dick pics.

• BSLMikeLowe, tennOsfan and Markus like this
@DJ_McCann

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:11 PM

Seriously? There could be a ton of shit on there that the FBI could find useful. Depends on how well the terrorists covered their tracks.

He wasn't asking what could be on there that's important... he was asking what could be on there that would make it worth letting every cop in every country snoop on whoever they wanted to...

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

Dick pics.

That's exactly what I was going to say.....maybe some cat videos too. Then the FBI says "oops, nothing to see here....let's take this neat stuff Apple gave us and spy on some other people."

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts

Dick pics.

I def slapped my knee.

@bopper33

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts

He wasn't asking what could be on there that's important... he was asking what could be on there that would make it worth letting every cop in every country snoop on whoever they wanted to...

Some people just don't get it.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Some people just don't get it.

Yea some people. Sheesh.

@bopper33

#13 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

That's exactly what I was going to say.....maybe some cat videos too.

Don't forget about all of the dank memes stored on there.

I side with Apple 100% on this.  If the NSA/FBI can't crack one Iphone then they got some incompetent rubes working there.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#14 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

Dick pics.

Speak for yourself.

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

Speak for yourself.

I don't keep them on my phone. That's insecure.

They're in the cloud.

@DJ_McCann

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Don't forget about all of the dank memes stored on there.

I side with Apple 100% on this.  If the NSA/FBI can't crack one Iphone then they got some incompetent rubes working there.

It's not that they can't crack the passcode, it's that Apple has a special encryption that once you enter 10 consecutive incorrect passcodes it wipes out all the memory on the device. They want Apple to write them software to get around that, then they'll use their machine to hack the passcode. I just think this sort of thing falls outside of what Apple is obligated to do under the warrant/4th Amendment. Apple did hand over all of the info from that phone that was synced and uploaded to the iCloud servers....but the killer last synced it over a month before the shooting. What isn't often mentioned here is that this iPhone was a San Bernardino County work-issued phone, and that both terrorists had their own personal smartphones that they destroyed (and no data could be taken from them) and their home PC had the hard drive removed and has not been found. They obviously took measures to cover their tracks, so I think the odds that any useful info is going to be on this work phone that they didn't bother to hide or destroy are unlikely.

This really is going to open a Pandora's Box if the gov't succeeds in forcing Apple to do this. The notion that Apple can somehow write software that will allow this one phone only to be hacked has been debunked by a lot of people in the tech world. Once the backdoor solution is out there, it's inevitable that it will eventually fall into the hands of foreign governments, of countries who don't have the sort of constitutional protections we do, to spy on people (possibly even Americans)....and even more worrisome, hackers will get a hold of it too. Not to mention I think it sets a bad precedent in the US when the government can force a private company to create something that allows it to break into people's personal property.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

As he often does, Mark Cuban has a very insightful and knowledgable take on this. While I don't agree with his solution, and a couple other things he says, he makes some excellent points. I'd say it's definitely worth the read.

Blog Maverick: Apple Vs The FBI vs a Suggestion

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#18 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:46 PM

As he often does, Mark Cuban has a very insightful and knowledgable take on this. While I don't agree with his solution, and a couple other things he says, he makes some excellent points. I'd say it's definitely worth the read.

Blog Maverick: Apple Vs The FBI vs a Suggestion

The problem with his suggestion is that it would still allow God-knows-who to snoop around in everybody's phone... it wouldn't be legal for them to do it, but they could do it... trusting a legal prohibition to be an actual prohibition is naive, as has been demonstrated by every form of legal prohibition ever attempted... 

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,479 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

The problem with his suggestion is that it would still allow God-knows-who to snoop around in everybody's phone... it wouldn't be legal for them to do it, but they could do it... trusting a legal prohibition to be an actual prohibition is naive, as has been demonstrated by every form of legal prohibition ever attempted... 

Which is why I said I disagree with his solution. But at least Cuban shows that he understands the bigger picture, and acknowledges that there will be consequences....unlike some of the other actors out there that want to sell us on the false notion that the gov't can save us from terrorists if we just let them chip away at our privacy bit-by-bit, and they conveniently fail to mention the hackers out there whose intent would be even more nefarious.

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,582 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

http://www.thedailyb...mes-before.html

Apple opened phones 70 times before for Feds.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=