SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Smart for Denver to let him walk IMO.

We will see if he can develop but if he does, Houston could be really good next year.

#62 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

Insane amount of money to a guy with no proven track record.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

CBS Sports: 2016 NFL Free Agency: Eagles win, Dolphins lose big in Day 1
http://www.cbssports...se-big-in-day-1

#64 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

Raiders get Sean Smith. Raiders could be really good.

I think I would put them as the AFCW favorites right now.

#65 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

If Osweiler can be league average or better, we could see Houston as the team in the AFCS, not Indy.

The AFC is getting better and the Ravens have to be keeping notice.

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

Raiders get Sean Smith. Raiders could be really good.

I think I would put them as the AFCw favorites right now.

They'll be better for sure.

I said it in the other thread -- the people who are freaking out about Denver losing Osweiler and having to sign a scrub like RGIII didn't consider the combo of Manning and Osweiler as mediocre in 2015? Shit, the Broncos could actually upgrade at the QB position this offseason. 

That said, the defense keeps them as the favorites in the west, IMO.

I also expect the Raiders to remember they're still the Raiders at crucial moments next year.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

Rotoworld.com: Top 50 NFL Free Agents Left
http://www.rotoworld...e-agency-update

Sports on Earth: NFL free agency off to frenzied start
http://www.sportsone...osweiler-vernon

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

CBS Sports: Quarterback roulette: Teams without sustainable QBs are in full panic mode
http://www.cbssports...full-panic-mode

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

Sports Illustrated: Unsettled at QB: Not a Good Place to Be
http://mmqb.si.com/m...situations-2016

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

CBS Sports: Why the revamped Raiders top the list of three new AFC playoff teams
http://www.cbssports...c-playoff-teams

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

2016 rule changes

Baltimore Ravens: NFL bans chop block....http://www.baltimore...2c-b02d1d04899f

Harbaugh pretty peeved at this, as it's essential in the stretch zone running game. There was one example of a way Seattle does it that is unorthodox, so now everyone can't do it cleanly at all.

Other changes:

PATs moved to the 15 yard line permanently, as last year was a trial run. (Cool).

OCs and DCs can talk to the players with the headsets regardless of being in the booth or on the field.  (This wasn't done already?)

Horse collar rule expanded to the nameplate area of the jersey. (I see more ticky-tack fouls called for a hand in the area. More fouls equal less fun to watch).

Delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so. (Again, this wasn't a rule already?)

Receiver touching the ball after going out of bounds then coming back in bounds is now a loss of down instead of a 5 yard penalty (Who cares? How about we define what a catch is? Or get rid of automatic first downs for 5 yard penalties for illegal contact 40 yards away from the ball).

Eliminating multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession. (???????)

-----------------------

There will be more rules to be discussed tomorrow. Among those should be the ejection after two personal fouls, or unsportsmanlike calls (After a guy gets one, opponents will go out of their way to bait him into a second. Should be....entertaining). Also making personal fouls reviewable if it will lead to ejections.

Moving the ball placement on a touchback to the 25 yard line (WHY!!!!!!?????? WHO CARES???). Actually, The current rule is that a touchback on a "free kick" comes out to the 25. Instead of moving other touchbacks up to the 25, change the one that never gets utilized anyway to go back to the 20. NFL just can't help themselves.

Expanding instant replay to all calls, or at least to a handful of judgement calls. As many challenges as you can get.

Along that line as well is giving teams three challenges, instead of the win two get one currently in place. 

Prohibiting a QB from throwing a forward pass after falling down. Like if they stumble while in their drop back. (WHO CARES???)

Eliminate OT in preseason games. (Another BS rule in the name of "player safety", eh?)

The Panthers proposed expanding intentional grounding to any pass not realistically catchable. So the "tackle box" part of the rule would be obsolete. (Gee. I wonder why the Panthers want this to pass)

Moving the down markers for penalty yardage instead of just backing up half the distance to the goal line. So if a team is 1st and 10 on their 10 yard line, and commit holding, half the distance, ball at the 5 yard line. 1st and 15. but its a 10 yard penalty. So the new rule would move the first down marker up 5 yards to make up the distance, so it becomes 1st and 20, like it would anywhere else on the field (I file this under "Why has no one thought of something so simple before?" But then what about defensive penalties at the other end that are half the distance. The offsides that moves the ball up six inches. I guess thats the trade off.)

Increase the game day roster from 46 to 48 players. Or increase it for London games, games out of the country. 

Move from two cut days to one. Instead of rosters going from 90, to 75, to 53, just go from 90 to 53 all at once. 

Allowing coaches and players to use video on their tablets instead of still photos. (Guarantee the first game with this up in Foxboro, opposing teams tablets will be buffering every time they try to watch a tape.)

And finally....from the utterly ridiculous never going to happen department......the Ravens proposal. Still feeling some kind of way about the Pats silly formations in the playoffs two years back, The Ravens want a player wearing the jersey # of an eligible receiver, who lines up in an ineligible receivers spot, to wear a vest matching the uniform that sports a jersey number signaling that they are ineligible (#50,60,70something). So if Danny Amendola (#80) lines up at right tackle, he needs to put on vest over his uni that sports #70something. A number not used on the roster. 

Ravens, I love ya. But let it go. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:16 AM

Looks like a one year trial for two rules.

Two personal fouls result in ejections, or what is being called the "red card" rule.

Touchbacks will be moved to the 25. I hate this one. One step closer to eliminating kickoffs as it gives more incentive to taking a knee in the end zone.
@BSLMikeRandall

#73 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,243 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:59 AM

Fine with the ejection rule.

If you're going to move touchbacks to the 25, just get rid of kickoffs entirely.

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

Don't like the expansion of the horse collar rule at all. Glad to see the league is learning from their mistakes and going away from more judgment calls. Oh... wait.

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

Is it any personal fouls or only unsportsmanlike conduct?

Seems crazy for someone to get ejected for a incidental facemask and then a weak roughing the passer or defenseless receiver type call.  I'm fine with ejecting people if they get multiple personal fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct or unnecessary roughness after the play.

Touchback rule has two advantages for the NFL - further reduces kickoff returns as Mike said (which is a health thing they've argued for) and will increase scoring which they seem to be greatly in favor of.

Will be interesting to see if teams now go for it more often around the 40-50 yard line if a punt in the end zone comes out to the 25 instead of the 20.  I'm strongly in the camp that thinks teams should go for it more often.  Or perhaps more accurately, I think the situation encourages a team to go for it far more often than most coaches seem to think it does.

#76 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

Variety: NFL Films to Launch New Series ‘All or Nothing’ on Amazon Video

Thank goodness. I'm just not getting enough NFL on television lately.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

It really amazes me how they continue to find ways to fill the off-season. It really, truly is a 24/7/365 league now days.

#78 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

(turns on radio)

"And an unsportsmanlike..."

(turns off radio)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#79 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

I'm not a college football fan at all and the NFL is making me dislike the sport more and more every day.

#80 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

I just wish they'd let us see the All-22 view without jumping thru hoops....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=