#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

I understand what you are saying and I'm not disagreeing with you about the hypocrisy of some things the NFL does....But the way I guess I look at the marketing strategy is if you are a woman who knows football like the men that the NFL markets to, then you are not what they are going after, as, again IMO, what works for the men will also work for the big time woman fans. An NFL fan is an NFL fan no matter their gender. To me it seems they may be trying to get women like my fiancee, who likes the pink jerseys etc , who was a cheerleader in high school or whatever but didn't know much about football and just needed an "in". Which may be a pink jersey that she gets and then wants to learn more about the sport to become a bigger fan that the normal marketing accounts for. Please let me know if that makes sense at least! I'm not meaning to be disrespectful towards women or anything like that, I'm just trying to say how I see it.

It definitely makes sense, and that's even acknowledged in the article as the authors point out that much of what they bring up isn't individually a problem (and they point out that some of it they enjoy, too). But when you put it all together with the NFL's record on women, even currently--so there's no claim that they've changed--it shows that the league likely isn't doing this to try and create real football converts, but just pandering for eyeballs.

@DJ_McCann

#22 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Imagine how much money this league would make if they actually had competent leadership?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#23 bmking24

bmking24
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

Ok. Understood. Technically though they don't have to even do the pandering. Except for the domestic violence stuff, that's not cool in any form, they need to get their shit together in a legit and positive way on that. But they don't really have to do anything to try to get women involved at all. I know it's a business and any good business grows and has more and more followers, but it was a billion dollar entity before they started with the pink jerseys and the glittery thongs (which I can not say I'm not a fan of!) etc... I feel that what they are doing on the marketing to women front is better than not doing anything at all.

#24 bmking24

bmking24
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Imagine how much money this league would make if they actually had competent leadership?

I agree, they already make an ABSOLUTELY INSANE amount of money....I dont even know how many zeros would be involved if they weren't somewhat idiots

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Deadspin: Why Is The NFL Giving More Super Bowl Ad Time To Its Favorite Sham Domestic-Violence Group?

What does matter is that for 30 seconds, the league will look as if it is deeply concerned about domestic violence and sexual assault. It will look good and nobody will turn off their TV—basically, mission accomplished for Roger Goodell. After all, this is the NFL, and the motto isn’t protect the players or protect the wives or protect the children. It’s protect the shield.

@DJ_McCann

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

PFF: Cordy Glenn tops the list of free agent offensive tackles

https://www.profootb...nt-tackle-list/

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

CBS Sports: AFC FA Primer

http://www.cbssports...or-all-16-teams

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

Sports on Earth: 32 bold predictions for the Off-season
http://www.sportsone...ble-predictions

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

If your favorite team was a car...
http://dailysnark.co...02/CarsList.jpg

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

Football Outsiders: 2015 FO Awards

http://www.footballo...utsiders-awards

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

Sports on Earth: Go Long: QB Outlooks for the Future
http://www.sportsone...situations-2018

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

Jared Allen retires. He tweeted out himself on a horse and literally riding away.

#33 BSLJasonBHirschhorn

BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

A move to save cap space for each of the NFL's 32 teams:

http://www.sportsone...moves-cap-space

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is the co-founder of The Leap and an award-winning sportswriter with bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports Illustrated, and other major outlets. He is also a Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Randy Gregory suspended 4 games.

A lot of Ravens fans wanted them to draft him but his off the field concerns were an issue.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,088 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

CBS Sports: The 50 most sought-after free agents this offseason

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:05 AM

Report: Arbitrator Rules NFL Hid As Much As $120 Million In Revenue From Players

No, I didn't pick this version of the story because of the photo...

@DJ_McCann

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

ProFootballTalk: NFLPA’s latest win over NFL was a blowout

In that regard, the league’s behavior fairly could be called conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football.

@DJ_McCann

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

Deadspin: NFL Careers Are Shorter Than Ever

In seven years, the length of the average NFL career has dropped by almost half, from 4.99 seasons to 2.66.

@DJ_McCann

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Browns C Alex Mack is voiding the 3 years remaining on his contract and is set to become a free agent, per source. One more free agent OL.

Someone the Ravens fans have targeted for a while. 

Cutting Zuttah would cost $2.1M in dead money, and save $2.1M against the cap. Owed $4.2M on the books this year.

@BSLMikeRandall

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,762 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:12 PM

Someone the Ravens fans have targeted for a while. 

Cutting Zuttah would cost $2.1M in dead money, and save $2.1M against the cap. Owed $4.2M on the books this year.

Mack's giving up $8M in guaranteed 2016 salary (plus $8M more in non-guaranteed salary in 2017 and 2018) by voiding his contract (an NFL opt-out!). 

He obviously is expecting to get a pretty big deal.  Maybe if we lose KO and cut Monroe and find a cheaper option at LT (or if they really love and expect to be able to get Stanley at #6) then we could afford a pricey C. 

I have no idea how Mack voiding his deal applies to comp picks.  I could see that being similar to if he had been released or it being similar to if he was a UFA, either seems reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=