#41 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:32 PM

If they are switching back to a 3-4 then I agree. But he looks like a natural pass rusher to me, not sure how he'd do in coverage. You could use him early just in pass-rush situations from anywhere until he grows and develops, and then take it from there. I really like his potential and am glad they got him.

He'd fit in that "Buck" position that Durkin likes. Hybrid DE/LB, it's what Aniebonam will play this year.

@BSLZackKiesel

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

I think you missed my joke :)

Yea I did.   Smiling Nick, doesn't need any inducement help does he?

@mikeghg

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

@brandoncparker 4h4 hours ago

McNamara QB Ramar Williams has committed to play at Navy. Some still clamoring for #Terps to offer him, but it's likely too late #allmets

• Greg Pappas likes this

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

The latest chatter seems to be that Hall will sign with Alabama, while Pigrome will sign with the Terps.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

@brandoncparker 4h4 hours ago

McNamara QB Ramar Williams has committed to play at Navy. Some still clamoring for #Terps to offer him, but it's likely too late #allmets

I think had Durkin wanted him, they would have already made the offer.  Also, maybe it is just me, but not sure poaching a kid from the Naval Academy, is the right thing to do for a new coach in a neighboring area, and with it being Navy.

@mikeghg

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

The latest chatter seems to be that Hall will sign with Alabama, while Pigrome will sign with the Terps.

That hurts.  

Pigrome is a good get though.  I have heard some chatter about him not qualifying though.  Anything to that?

@mikeghg

#47 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Pigrome commits to Maryland.

Bell has his work cut out for him, if he stays at QB (which I doubt), he likely won't be able to start until a few years in.

@BSLZackKiesel

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Pigrome commits to Maryland.

Bell has his work cut out for him, if he stays at QB (which I doubt), he likely won't be able to start until a few years in.

You really dislike this guy, which is odd since, no offense, you like pretty much everything about MD football.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

You really dislike this guy, which is odd since, no offense, you like pretty much everything about MD football.

Unless I'm completely missing something from watching his tape, he's a slot receiver who played QB in high school. I just can't see him being able to make the throws necessary to win in the Big Ten.

@BSLZackKiesel

#50 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

Unless I'm completely missing something from watching his tape, he's a slot receiver who played QB in high school. I just can't see him being able to make the throws necessary to win in the Big Ten.

So the people that rated him a 3 star QB don't know what they're talking about?

Not trying to be snarky, I just don't get the disconnect between what they all see and what you do.  Do you have a background scouting QBs?

@bopper33

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,289 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

If he had gone to VaTech, he would have gone as a WR.... he's going to MD because the coaching staff is going to give him a shot to QB.

I think he has a good chance to stay there myself... open offense, ability to run, out athlete guys.

We will see how Bell and Company develop him.

At the very least, he's going to get every opportunity at QB first before any position switch happens.

It's a nice get.

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

FWIW, Testudo Times is saying he has the arm strength to accurately throw the ball 40 yards down field.

If Bell is truly going to go with a wacky (not a pejorative term) offense then this guy looks like a solid fit.  After the crap sandwich of QBs we have been forced to eat over the past three years, this is a welcome addition.

@bopper33

#53 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

So the people that rated him a 3 star QB don't know what they're talking about?

Not trying to be snarky, I just don't get the disconnect between what they all see and what you do.  Do you have a background scouting QBs?

They didn't rate him a 3-star QB, they rated him a 3-star ATH. 9 times out of 10, a guy who is considered an "athlete" but played QB in high school means scouts see more of a slot receiver/running back in him than a quarterback.

People get so hung up on these star ratings. The only true way to know what you're getting from a guy is by watching his tape. When I watch his tape, I see a guy with very poor footwork who consistently throws off of his back foot. I see a run-first guy who can easily do whatever he wants on the ground in high school, but will struggle working through his progressions in college. I see a guy who can easily hit his receivers when they're wide open, but will struggle throwing the ball into any sort of traffic.

At the very least, he'll need 2-3 years of development if he wants to compete for the starting QB job, likely 3-4.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#54 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

I think he looks pretty solid with his throws.  I don't know how anyone can watch this stuff and definitively say anything.  Around the 3 minute mark he makes a couple good deep throws.  Either way, the kid has got some moves in the open field.  He certainly looks like he has a better arm than Hills.

http://www.hudl.com/v/Nb08M

• RShack likes this

@fuzydunlop

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Which of these recruits could we expect to see on the field immediately? 

And which current freshman or redshirts profile as guys who will get some run next season?

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

It might be a situation where they promise him a chance to compete at QB, and if he can not cut it, they have a heck of an athlete to play receiver.  

I give Durkin Credit, he has kept searching in his short time on the job.

@mikeghg

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

VT wanted him at WR... PSU wanted him at QB. Feels good to take one away from Franklin. Especially considering how late we got in on him.

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

I think he looks pretty solid with his throws.  I don't know how anyone can watch this stuff and definitively say anything.  Around the 3 minute mark he makes a couple good deep throws.  Either way, the kid has got some moves in the open field.  He certainly looks like he has a better arm than Hills.

Yea looking at the tape, it looks like he can throw and seems to be able to set his feet quickly to get rid of the ball.

He has some speed and swivel.

I remember watching Cockerill at Gilman and I never thought he would be able to throw anywhere near good enough to play QB at a D1 school.  Just based on this film, watching the kid, he has the look of a terrific athlete

@mikeghg

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

Well, that was fun to watch...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Based on everything I've read and viewed, you seem to be all on your own with this point of view. Not the first time though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=