• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Please forgive my ignorance... but Huh?... he was here, then he left, and now he might come back? 

He enrolled in the Fall... left in September due to an eligibility issue, and the plan has always been for him to be back in the Spring.... however, he had recently given signs his path back to MD would depend on Locksley...   apparently that isn't true, but until he is officially back, it remains a bit of a question.  Though I think you have to like the odds at this point.

#62 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

I hate this signing.  When it doesn't work Anderson needs to be shown the door.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:43 PM

I hate this signing.  When it doesn't work Anderson needs to be shown the door.

Why are you down on it? Who did you want?

#64 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

Choice #1 was Kelly.  I was also hoping Miles was getting fired down at LSU.  

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Okay, but Miles wasn't fired obviously... and Kelly hasn't been yet.  Terps needed to make a hire, and couldn't wait to see if Kelly would be available (and interested)... so was there someone available now, that you preferred?

#66 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

So you want Kevin Anderson fired for not hiring a coach who wasn't even available in the first place? I'm not a fan of the guy myself, but blaming him for that is too much.

#67 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Okay, but Miles wasn't fired obviously... and Kelly hasn't been yet.  Terps needed to make a hire, and couldn't wait to see if Kelly would be available (and interested)... so was there someone available now, that you preferred?

No not really?  I would also have loved Richt.

So you want Kevin Anderson fired for not hiring a coach who wasn't even available in the first place? I'm not a fan of the guy myself, but blaming him for that is too much.

I really want him fired for screwing up the Fridge decision and plunging the program into crap.  

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, would have loved Richt as well.  MD was clearly interested, but he went back to the Alma Mater.

I like the Durkin move by itself though. Young, energetic, been around a lot of good coaches... well spoken, good recruiter.

#69 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

I really want him fired for screwing up the Fridge decision and plunging the program into crap.  

If by screwing up you mean saying Friedgen would return just a month or so before firing him, then that's one thing. But it was very clear it was time to move on, so Anderson was right to seize the opportunity for a change when it arose (Franklin taking Vanderbilt job and getting UM out of the $1 mil payout). Totally agree Anderson made a poor hire though once he got that opportunity. But I feel a hell of a lot better right now about Durkin than I did five years ago about Edsall.

#70 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

That was Fridge's last yr.  That would have been made clear.  Also make it very clear early that Franklin will be taking over right after the season.  In fact I woudl have given Franklin a raise to keep him in College Park.

#71 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm not a Franklin fan, so I'm glad they "let him get away." By the way, I'm good friends with a couple of Penn State grads - and they would have been very happy to give Franklin back to MD. They actually think Franklin could be out of a job if PSU doesn't take an obvious step forward next year. They told me Franklin is pushing very hard to get Locksley because he thinks Locksley can then get Haskins and many of his frineds to PSU.

I personally love the Durkin hire. I think Anderson got as lucky with this hire as he did with the Turgeon hire.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Agreed Anderson got lucky.

I'm honestly surprised Franklin isn't already squarely on the hot seat. What has he done?

#73 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

They would be foolish to let Franklin leave.  Look what he did at Vandy.  If you can win there you can win anywhere.

#74 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

I'm honestly surprised Franklin isn't already squarely on the hot seat. What has he done?

Just walked in the door less than a yr ago.

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

He's 14-11 with a fair amount of talent at Penn State. Not impressed.

#76 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

Actually, he will have been there two years in January.

#77 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

He's 14-11 with a fair amount of talent at Penn State. Not impressed.

So I guess those sanctions were not in effect.

Actually, he will have been there two years in January.

I guess it has been that long

#78 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:20 PM

I personally love the Durkin hire. I think Anderson got as lucky with this hire as he did with the Turgeon hire.

When you say lucky, what do you mean?  That you're surprised that each one of those guys took a job at MD?  Or lucky that they were available?  Or what?

Not disagreeing, just not sure exactly what you mean, that's all...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#79 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

When you say lucky, what do you mean?  That you're surprised that each one of those guys took a job at MD?  Or lucky that they were available?  Or what?

Not disagreeing, just not sure exactly what you mean, that's all...

This is a good question. He missed on the guy he obviously wanted (Miller) and I remember that some thought he settled for Turgeon. I wasn't a big fan of Turgeon the first year or so. My opinion began to change after he began to prove that he could be an effective recruiter who was also willing to bring in great recruiters as assistants (such as Bino Ranson and Dalonte Hill). I also like that he likes to pay homage to Maryland's past success. Turgeon has won me over (winning admittedly helped with that).

As for Durkin he obviously didn't meet what they were originally looking for. Once it became obvious they weren't going to get a big name (I don't buy the rumor that they had a real chance to land Mullen) they were in a position where they might have to scramble. I think they're fortunate that Durkin hadn't been scooped up by someone else. They're also fortunate that the Harbaugh family was willing to push him forward as a candidate for the job.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#80 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

This is a good question. He missed on the guy he obviously wanted (Miller) and I remember that some thought he settled for Turgeon. I wasn't a big fan of Turgeon the first year or so. My opinion began to change after he began to prove that he could be an effective recruiter who was also willing to bring in great recruiters as assistants (such as Bino Ranson and Dalonte Hill). I also like that he likes to pay homage to Maryland's past success. Turgeon has won me over (winning admittedly helped with that).

As for Durkin he obviously didn't meet what they were originally looking for. Once it became obvious they weren't going to get a big name (I don't buy the rumor that they had a real chance to land Mullen) they were in a position where they might have to scramble. I think they're fortunate that Durkin hadn't been scooped up by someone else. They're also fortunate that the Harbaugh family was willing to push him forward as a candidate for the job.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but nitpicking on your Mullen point. It's been widely reported that he interviewed with Miami. At this point, MD has more to offer a coach than Miami does. Richt went there because it's his alma mater. But if Mullen interviewed at The U, he definitely was available for a Big 10 team with a 160 million indoor facility, a stadium actually ON CAMPUS, UA, and 6 million to spend on a coach. 

@PeterDiLutis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=