98 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Agree with a lot of what you say, but nitpicking on your Mullen point. It's been widely reported that he interviewed with Miami. At this point, MD has more to offer a coach than Miami does. Richt went there because it's his alma mater. But if Mullen interviewed at The U, he definitely was available for a Big 10 team with a 160 million indoor facility, a stadium actually ON CAMPUS, UA, and 6 million to spend on a coach. 

And within a 2-hour radius of Miami is arguably the deepest pool of HS football talent in the world to recruit from. Plus they have a who's-who of NFL alumni that stay very close to the program (that stuff impresses recruits). Plenty of coaches think those factors make it easy to overcome the disadvantages you mention.

#82 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

This is a good question. He missed on the guy he obviously wanted (Miller) and I remember that some thought he settled for Turgeon. I wasn't a big fan of Turgeon the first year or so. My opinion began to change after he began to prove that he could be an effective recruiter who was also willing to bring in great recruiters as assistants (such as Bino Ranson and Dalonte Hill). I also like that he likes to pay homage to Maryland's past success. Turgeon has won me over (winning admittedly helped with that). As for Durkin he obviously didn't meet what they were originally looking for. Once it became obvious they weren't going to get a big name (I don't buy the rumor that they had a real chance to land Mullen) they were in a position where they might have to scramble. I think they're fortunate that Durkin hadn't been scooped up by someone else. They're also fortunate that the Harbaugh family was willing to push him forward as a candidate for the job.
  Agree with a lot of what you say, but nitpicking on your Mullen point. It's been widely reported that he interviewed with Miami. At this point, MD has more to offer a coach than Miami does. Richt went there because it's his alma mater. But if Mullen interviewed at The U, he definitely was available for a Big 10 team with a 160 million indoor facility, a stadium actually ON CAMPUS, UA, and 6 million to spend on a coach. 
Thinking that MD Is anywhere close to the job at UM is peak regional bias.
  • 1970 likes this

@fuzydunlop

#83 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:54 PM

The U is a legacy program and can be easier to recruit to than UMD.  

#84 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

And within a 2-hour radius of Miami is arguably the deepest pool of HS football talent in the world to recruit from. Plus they have a who's-who of NFL alumni that stay very close to the program (that stuff impresses recruits). Plenty of coaches think those factors make it easy to overcome the disadvantages you mention,

Facebook-thumbs-up.jpg

#85 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

We'll agree to disagree. Mullen was a pipe dream from the start, IMO.

#86 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

Lol at Maryland clearly being the better school for a coach than the U.
  • BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

Lol at Maryland clearly being the better school for a coach than the U.

Yeah, I'd agree. Miami has some issues that I think the USC job was better... and would have thought the same if LSU had become open... but whatever issues they have... their name, history, and local talent mattes considerably.

#88 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Damn

http://www.testudoti...cks-terps-coach

#89 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

With so many coaching changes the marquee assistants will be thinned out.

#90 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Since every new coach usually keeps one or two holdovers, what members of the current staff would you like to see stay? (Assuming Locksley is out of the equation) It would be Corey Robinson and Keenan McCardell for me.

#91 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

Since every new coach usually keeps one or two holdovers, what members of the current staff would you like to see stay? (Assuming Locksley is out of the equation) It would be Corey Robinson and Keenan McCardell for me.

Those guys are definitely up there, I'd stick John Dunn on there as well. Very accomplished recruiter.

@BSLZackKiesel

#92 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

Adam McLean put out a couple cryptic Tweets a while ago that make it sound like Lane Kiffin could be joining the staff.

JrIArKE.png

#93 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:20 AM

Actually, Alex Kirshner tweeted "Kiffin looks like a *very* strong candidate to be Maryland's next quarterbacks coach" earlier.

So there you have it. If that's true, MD will have the sickest stable of recruiters in the country. They will also have at least 5 guys with head coaching experience (if you include Durkin). I'm not so sure that part is a positive.

#94 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:30 AM

Thats true. Durkin will have a lot of egos to keep in check below him. I still don't believe Kiffin is coming here and especially not for anything but the OC position. 

#95 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:52 AM

Here's the most recent comment from Kirshner (off the TT board, not Twitter):

I don’t think it’s likely and don’t have it nearly solid enough to write about it and give it more weight, but I’ve had two conversations tonight that are at least interesting enough to think about it.

Having Kiffin could really be the tipping point to flip Diggs.

#96 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Testudo Times is also reporting that Mike London will be associate head coach and defensive line coach, citing an SI report.

Honestly I'm concerned we're getting a bit too many cooks in the kitchen.  Needs to be very clear that Durkin is the head chef.

#97 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Honestly I'm concerned we're getting a bit too many cooks in the kitchen.  Needs to be very clear that Durkin is the head chef.

Same situation as any time you get a bunch of former HC's on the same staff... seems to me that it's a good problem to have...  

As for the need to be clear, Durkin doesn't seem like the shy sort   :wink:

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#98 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

Check out the video at the bottom of the page. They had a camera following Durkin around his first day. There's a couple clips of his first time addressing the team.

http://www.umterps.c...eatures/durkin/

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#99 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:23 AM

ESPN.com: D.J. Durkin challenges Maryland players in first meetings

When D.J. Durkin sat down to meet individually with his new players at Maryland, he wanted to bring along some notes on each of them. Durkin, having spent most of his first two weeks as the Terps’ new head coach on the recruiting trail, didn’t have time to break down their film, so instead he decided to show them the scouting reports he put together while game-planning against them as Michigan’s defensive coordinator.

Some were complimentary. Some were not. All of them drew interesting reactions.

“I think some of them were probably kind of shocked. They looked at me a little crazy,” Durkin said. “But that’s OK. That won’t be the last time they look at me like I’m crazy.”

This stood out to me....it's the kind of attitude you need at MD. I like him more each day.

Durkin said he got plenty of well-intentioned calls in the last few weeks asking if he was sure that taking the Maryland job was the right move for his foray into head coaching. Given the competition, it’s a valid concern. He said each call made him more confident in his choice. The Terps likely aren’t going anywhere without some nay-saying fuel.

“It’s such a positive,” he said. “I want to recruit guys that embrace challenges and embrace adversity and embrace competition. If you’ve got a team full of guys that embrace those situations, you’re going to be pretty good. If a guy is shy of that or doesn’t really want to do that, then this is probably not the right place for them.”

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=