98 replies to this topic

#41 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Nobody asked him what he thought of the helmet design... and a dang helmet was sitting right there!   :wink:

I know it doesn't matter, but I bet his answer would have been entertaining somehow...

He's got a very engaging manner... not at all polished, nothing polished about it, but he reeks of being genuine... kinda reminds me of Bobby Cremins that way (although Cremins was far better at butchering the English language...).   Dunno if there's any parallels beyond their manner, but the way Cremins succeeded was by getting 5-stars to come to GT because they *knew* they were gonna play all the time, and not be just-another-star in a famous guy's stable...

Question:  he talked a couple times about how MD has a great talent pool in its own backyard... how true is that?  (I'm asking because I have no idea...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:15 PM

Nobody asked him what he thought of the helmet design... and a dang helmet was sitting right there!   :wink:

I know it doesn't matter, but I bet his answer would have been entertaining somehow...

He's got a very engaging manner... not at all polished, nothing polished about it, but he reeks of being genuine... kinda reminds me of Bobby Cremins that way (although Cremins was far better at butchering the English language...).   Dunno if there's any parallels beyond their manner, but the way Cremins succeeded was by getting 5-stars to come to GT because they *knew* they were gonna play all the time, and not be just-another-star in a famous guy's stable...

Question:  he talked a couple times about how MD has a great talent pool in its own backyard... how true is that?  (I'm asking because I have no idea...)

The talent within 2 hours of CP is good. One of the Top 20 areas in the country.   It's not FL, Texas, CA, or Georgia... but it's good.

From June 2013

http://baltimorespor...ional-analysts/

BSL: Bigger picture wise, the Terps have had back-to-back Top 35 recruiting classes, and are are off to a positive start with their 2014 class. When you look at the talent within 2 hours of College Park, is there enough consistently produced talent to regularly land Top 25 classes, if the Terps keep the great majority of those players at ‘home’?  (Including Washington D.C., Southern PA, and Northern VA as home for this question.)

Lassan: I think so. Every recruiting class is always going to be a little different and there will be a down cycle or two in talent within that area. However, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. are three areas that produce plenty of talent on an annual basis. Helping Maryland’s recruiting efforts will be the switch to the Big Ten. The Terrapins will be more visible in Chicago, New Jersey and Ohio – three other fertile recruiting areas to tap into.

Pertner: I think consistent Top 25 classes may be a stretch particularly with nearly 10 SEC schools ranking in the Top 25-30 on a yearly basis. However, I definitely think consistent Top 35-40 classes for Maryland should be the expectation and the norm provided the rich area of talent surrounding them.

Luginbill: Yes, there is enough talent, the question is whether or not Maryland is perceived as a legitimate contender for the top level players when having to go up against VT, Clemson, Alabama, FSU, UNC etc. If prospects do not view Maryland as having the same clout as other programs it makes it more difficult. The way you fix that is by winning and winning big games against teams you are not expected to beat. That can change the dynamic to swing things around.

Mandel: That’s always been the big mystery about Maryland football. There is absolutely enough talent in their backyard to produce Top 25 classes, but save for a brief period under Ralph Friedgen they’ve never been able to keep most of it at home. There does seem to be an uptick now with Mike Locksley. If they can continue to recruit competitively with programs like Penn State, Virginia Tech and Rutgers then they should get their fair share of talent most years.

#43 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland football coach DJ Durkin to make $12.5 million on 5-year contract, per report

http://www.testudoti...2543.1421091664

If he does well, they'll tear that up well before its expiration date for a new one with a bigger number....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#44 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

I think Durkin is a good hire and obviously has good pedigree. He seems like a high achiever and I think that he'll do well at MD and elevate us a bit, and then likely leave for a better gig. He seems like the kind of guy that's destined to coach at a Florida, Michigan, etc.

That could well be... but on the other hand, if he can get MD to play on the level of those places, then there's no reason for him to leave... and very good reasons not to...  

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

That could well be... but on the other hand, if he can get MD to play on the level of those places, then there's no reason for him to leave... and very good reasons not to...  

That's pretty rare nowadays. I'm sure bigger schools will sniff around Durkin at just the slightest hints of success.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

It's Day 1 of his regime. Hard to worry about him leaving. If he has success and leaves, he will have lifted MD to a better place.

#47 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

It's Day 1 of his regime. Hard to worry about him leaving. If he has success and leaves, he will have lifted MD to a better place.

Exactly. And if that is the case then MD is a more attractive destination, and maybe the next coach is the guy who sticks around and has sustained success.

#48 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

That's pretty rare nowadays. I'm sure bigger schools will sniff around Durkin at just the slightest hints of success.

Yes, it is rare... so is turning a program around to the degree that would be required for that (i.e., him having good reason to stay) to come into play...

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

You have to be able to lock down your home first, and MD's primary recruiting base (Baltimore, DC, Southern PA, NOVA, Montgomery, PG) is one of the better recruiting bases in the country.

MD isn't going to swing and miss at home, and start pulling out the best players Nationally. It's just not practical.

And if Locks leaves... and you lose out on Haskins, McLean doesnt come back, Keandre Jones goes elsewhere... that's a huge immediate impact....

(It would also just be the way it goes, and life will go on... but the immediate impact could not be casually dismissed either.)

I just don't buy it. 

From what I've read, the Maryland/DC area ranks about 15th in the country in recruiting talent. The Terps have 43 guys on their roster from the MD/DC area. For starters, recruiting from this area hasn't lead to winning and acceptable amount of games. Will Likley, the teams best player, hails from Florida. 

Looking at a place like Oregon. A state ranking 22nd in recruiting, the University of Oregon only has 20 players on it's roster from the state. That have 39, about double that , from California. 

Obviously easier for Oregon to recruit there, but it's not like Cali is around the corner. It's seven, eight hours from Eugene to the Bay area. It's like if Maryland recruited in Ohio, or the Carolinas.

Oregon isn't sitting there saying that it's real important that they get Oregon kids. Yeah, you want to get the best kids in your state because it's easier to make those home visits. These days, every football player from Oregon probably wants to go to Oregon. But you have to go where the talent is. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I just don't buy it. 

From what I've read, the Maryland/DC area ranks about 15th in the country in recruiting talent. The Terps have 43 guys on their roster from the MD/DC area. For starters, recruiting from this area hasn't lead to winning and acceptable amount of games. Will Likley, the teams best player, hails from Florida. 

Looking at a place like Oregon. A state ranking 22nd in recruiting, the University of Oregon only has 20 players on it's roster from the state. That have 39, about double that , from California. 

Obviously easier for Oregon to recruit there, but it's not like Cali is around the corner. It's seven, eight hours from Eugene to the Bay area. It's like if Maryland recruited in Ohio, or the Carolinas.

Oregon isn't sitting there saying that it's real important that they get Oregon kids. Yeah, you want to get the best kids in your state because it's easier to make those home visits. These days, every football player from Oregon probably wants to go to Oregon. But you have to go where the talent is. 

The thing is, MD hasn't recruited the kids in state, at least not successfully. Most years they are lucky to get two of the Top 10 players from MD. If they got more, I'd bet the results would show. The DMV is pretty good for top-end HS talent....what the area lacks is much depth. Once you get outside the Top 10 or so, you pretty much have to hope you find a diamond in the rough.

As for Oregon, you just can't compare them getting players from CA to MD going to Ohio.....the geography is so much different between here and back there. There are no major colleges between Eugene and the Bay Area, while there are several between DC and Columbus. I'm surprised Oregon ranks #22 in HS recruiting. I'd put it in the 30s if I were just guessing.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

I just don't buy it. 

Mike... look at the comments above I included from that June 2013 interview...  it includes ESPN's National Director of Recruiting Tom Luginbill.  Also FOX's lead CFP Analyst in Mandel.

Zack has interviewed a number of recruiting analysts, including Tom VanHaaren (also ESPN)...  they've also said the same thing about the in-state talent existing.. and in other comments about the need for MD to secure their recruiting area first.

Yes... if you are Nebraska... and there is no talent in-state, you have to go completely outside your borders. When Nebraska does that, they can sell that Nebraska was at one time a huge power, and has certainly been solid since.

Same with Oregon at this point... they are a National program, with 15 years of high success, and existing great facilities.

MD can't survive alone with talent in the DMV, but home talent will always be the key. When MD improves, they can and will attract from a larger pool....

And Birds nails it...   to date, MD hasn't ever locked down their own borders...  hence why what was being built this year was so important, and noteworthy.

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

Fair enough. You guys know more about this stuff than I do. On the surface..,heavy recruiting in MD hasn't lead to a ton of wins. Sounds like that is about to change, and we'll see.
@BSLMikeRandall

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

Washington Post: Maryland’s Mark Turgeon, others weigh in on the hiring of D.J. Durkin

https://www.washingt...g-of-dj-durkin/

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

Balt Ravens.com: John Harbaugh: New Terps Coach D.J. Durkin Is 'Special'

http://www.baltimore...20-963c13560a54

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland DT Adam McLean 'on board' with D.J. Durkin hire, urges Maryland to hire Alabama assistant

http://www.testudoti...ges-maryland-to

That's pretty big. Get McLean back in, and hope he's ready to produce in the middle. Would be good if he transfers back in for the Spring.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland DT Adam McLean 'on board' with D.J. Durkin hire, urges Maryland to hire Alabama assistant

http://www.testudoti...ges-maryland-to

That's pretty big. Get McLean back in, and hope he's ready to produce in the middle. Would be good if he transfers back in for the Spring.

That gives me mixed feelings. I really don't like the idea of 17-18 year olds thinking they are going to leverage the university to hire certain coaches. As important as recruits like McLean are, this sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

That said, I'm very high on the idea of hiring Abdul-Rahim. With Locksley likely gone, it would be a good idea to have someone on the staff with local ties. And that he was both hired and subsequently promoted by Nick Saban I think speaks to his abilities.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

That gives me mixed feelings. I really don't like the idea of 17-18 year olds thinking they are going to leverage the university to hire certain coaches. As important as recruits like McLean are, this sounds like the tail wagging the dog.

That said, I'm very high on the idea of hiring Abdul-Rahim. With Locksley likely gone, it would be a good idea to have someone on the staff with local ties. And that he was both hired and subsequently promoted by Nick Saban I think speaks to his abilities.

Completely agreed on both accounts...  but am pleased that McLean is apparently in. He's talented at a position of need, cares about recruiting locally... and could have been gone. I'll be even happier when he's officially back, and shows he's ready to produce.

#58 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Durkin already meeting with 5 star recruit Rahshaun Smith (IMG) today at UMD.

• BSLChrisStoner and clapdiddy like this

#59 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

Durkin already meeting with 5 star recruit Rahshaun Smith (IMG) today at UMD.

Aim high!!

#60 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Completely agreed on both accounts...  but am pleased that McLean is apparently in. He's talented at a position of need, cares about recruiting locally... and could have been gone. I'll be even happier when he's officially back, and shows he's ready to produce.

Please forgive my ignorance... but Huh?... he was here, then he left, and now he might come back? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=