391 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

If we're going to trade Tillman for a third baseman I'd rather see Headley coming to Baltimore. San Diego, of they are looking for a deal, should be all over that. Tillman would be a really nice starter in Petco Park.

I hope you don't mean to imply here that Tillman alone would be enough to get Headley back. Or that Tillman could be the best player in a package to get Headley.

I think Tillman could be the 3rd, or possibly the 2nd if the best player is much better, guy in a Headley package. But he's not coming near even 50% of the cost it'll take to pry him loose. I do think Tillman would have a much better chance at success in Petco than here or any other park, but that doesn't make him more valuable to the Orioles or the Padres. He's still the same person with the same resume and the same trade value.

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

I wish the O's would have landed him...

I think we could have matched that deal. Tillman and Andino and maybe a little more seems similar to me. This time last year Boston may have made that deal. Now they look at the Orioles as an obstacle. I doubt whether the Red Sox even looked at us.
@mikeghg

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Stewart and Lillibridge is, what, Tillman and Flaherty? Would you make that trade for a half-season of Youkilis?

I want to see how he does the rest of the way, and wait for a team to decline that option, before I go for him.

I thought Andino. The Red Sox and their fans love Andino. ;)
@mikeghg

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

I hope you don't mean to imply here that Tillman alone would be enough to get Headley back. Or that Tillman could be the best player in a package to get Headley.

I think Tillman could be the 3rd, or possibly the 2nd if the best player is much better, guy in a Headley package. But he's not coming near even 50% of the cost it'll take to pry him loose. I do think Tillman would have a much better chance at success in Petco than here or any other park, but that doesn't make him more valuable to the Orioles or the Padres. He's still the same person with the same resume and the same trade value.

Of course I meant as part of a deal. I'm not insane :P

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Baseball Analytics: Dunn Demolishing Fastballs During Comeback Season
http://www.baseballa...ack-season.html

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:21 AM

ESPN: Kenny Williams, most unappreciated GM

http://espn.go.com/b...ated-gm-in-game
@levineps

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

ESPN: Kenny Williams, most unappreciated GM

http://espn.go.com/b...ated-gm-in-game

I don't know how unappreciated he is, because his teams generally seem to underachieve and he has questionable taste in managers. However, he's done a nice job this year with a team that didn't seem like strong contenders. It does help that Adam Dunn bounced back...

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

I don't know how unappreciated he is, because his teams generally seem to underachieve and he has questionable taste in managers. However, he's done a nice job this year with a team that didn't seem like strong contenders. It does help that Adam Dunn bounced back...

What do you mean he has questionable taste in managers?, Ozzie worked out for the most part. Robin Ventura has been doing a pretty good job this year. Jerry Manuel won a MOY(I believe). There on their third manager in a decade plus, you could do a lot worse than that (like say the Orioles).

The point is Reinsdorf won't let him spend on draft picks (not a problem anymore) and not so much on FA, so he does a lot with little. I think he's done a pretty good job all things considered. Andrew Friedman and Billly Beane have done more with less though.
@levineps

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

What do you mean he has questionable taste in managers?, Ozzie worked out for the most part. Robin Ventura has been doing a pretty good job this year. Jerry Manuel won a MOY(I believe). There on their third manager in a decade plus, you could do a lot worse than that (like say the Orioles).

The point is Reinsdorf won't let him spend on draft picks (not a problem anymore) and not so much on FA, so he does a lot with little. I think he's done a pretty good job all things considered. Andrew Friedman and Billly Beane have done more with less though.

Manuel isn't exactly the model of a great manager, Guillen is OK other than being completely insane and thus untrustworthy in the job, and the reports on Ventura haven't impressed me.

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Manuel isn't exactly the model of a great manager, Guillen is OK other than being completely insane and thus untrustworthy in the job, and the reports on Ventura haven't impressed me.

What reports are you talking about? Results > Reports, Anyways, I'll take Kenny Williams track record over 2/3 of the GMs out there.
@levineps

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

... and he reports on Ventura haven't impressed me.

I don't know much about it, I don't follow them... but I just can't see why people mention him as a MOY candidate... it's not like he was handed a bad ballclub... he was handed a club that's been pretty good for a while... and you could expect that club minus Mr. Uproar could/would/should do better...

I've got nothing against Ventura, I just don't understand why he would get a bunch of credit, that's all... can someone clue me in?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

I don't know much about it, I don't follow them... but I just can't see why people mention him as a MOY candidate... it's not like he was handed a bad ballclub... he was handed a club that's been pretty good for a while... and you could expect that club minus Mr. Uproar could/would/should do better...

I've got nothing against Ventura, I just don't understand why he would get a bunch of credit, that's all... can someone clue me in?

The WSox weren't supposed to be that good this year and he's a first year manager.

I'd put him 3rd after Buck/Melvin. Obviously, I'm biased towards Buck but I think a good case could be made for melvin and less so for Ventura.
@levineps

#33 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

If we make the playoffs, hopefully the division, the White Sox are who I wanna play in the divisional round.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

If we make the playoffs, hopefully the division, the White Sox are who I wanna play in the divisional round.

Ditto!
@levineps

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

What reports are you talking about? Results > Reports.

When he screws up and blows a playoff game, with that be enough of a result?

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

When he screws up and blows a playoff game, with that be enough of a result?

I mean no one is going to bat 1000, so probably not. He hasn't even managed a playoff game. Can you give specific reasons?
@levineps

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yahoo: WS set Chris Sale free as Nats shut down Strasburg
http://sports.yahoo....strasburg-.html

#38 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

ESPN: White Sox promote Rick Hahn

http://espn.go.com/c...liams-rick-hahn
@levineps

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Full Count Pitch: Stability and Wisdom in WS choice to promote Hahn
http://www.fullcount...o-promote-hahn/

#40 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

MLB Trade Rumors: White Sox exercise 2013 option for Gavin Floyd, decline 2013 options for Kevin Youkilis and Brett Myers

http://www.mlbtrader...d-youkilis.html

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=