#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

I'm surprised it was still the case last year. I knew he was for a while, but would've thought someone else had displaced him the past few years.

That much for an assistant is a LOT of money. If you check the link I posted for last year, Locksley is #29 on the list at ~$625,000. Everyone outside of the top-five was closer to Mike than to #1.

This year saw a bunch of big assistant hiring like Muschamp.

@DJ_McCann

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

That much for an assistant is a LOT of money. If you check the link I posted for last year, Locksley is #29 on the list at ~$625,000. Everyone outside of the top-five was closer to Mike than to #1.

This year saw a bunch of big assistant hiring like Muschamp.

I know, I don't think Bud Foster is the commodity he once was.

@levineps

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

If Virginia Tech or Minnesota go outside to hire their next head coach, I'd be very surprised. Bud Foster has been the coach-in-waiting at VT forever, and he's always near the top of potential coaching lists. Tracy Claeys is Minnesota's best chance of continuing the success that Jerry Kill had there.

The only jobs that are better than Maryland right now are the two USCs (and maybe UCF). 

@BSLZackKiesel

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

If Virginia Tech or Minnesota go outside to hire their next head coach, I'd be very surprised. Bud Foster has been the coach-in-waiting at VT forever, and he's always near the top of potential coaching lists. Tracy Claeys is Minnesota's best chance of continuing the success that Jerry Kill had there.

The only jobs that are better than Maryland right now are the two USCs (and maybe UCF). 

Bud Foster is in his mid-50s now. I think a decade ago that would've been beyond the logical choice, but VTech has been heading south for sometime. New blood might not be a bad thing. Regardless in both cases, I think casting a wide net would be a good thing. The college football head coach at any major university is usually the biggest decision a school can make. The Alabama President was quoted as saying Nick Saban was the school's "best investment ever."

@levineps

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:40 AM

Cross Minnesota off the list. Claeys got a deal to be the Gophers' permanent HC through 2018.

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Add Missouri. Gary Pinkel is resigning effective at the end of the season.

@DJ_McCann

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

When I first saw the Pinkel headline I thought he was somehow caught up in the racism scandal, but it's lymphoma, which he apparently was diagnosed with back in the spring and has dealt with all season. Sounds pretty treatable though, but at 63 it's probably a good choice to walk away.

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:03 AM

John Feinstein (WaPo): Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo is the most underrated coach in college football

If Navy makes a New Year's bowl, hard to imagine bigger schools don't at least call him.

#29 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:23 AM

John Feinstein (WaPo): Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo is the most underrated coach in college football

If Navy makes a New Year's bowl, hard to imagine bigger schools don't at least call him.

Depends on whether they're willing to run Paul Johnson's offense...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:39 AM

Depends on whether they're willing to run Paul Johnson's offense...

Do we know for sure he would continue to run it if he thought he had the talent to do something different?

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:28 AM

Draw whatever conclusions, if any, you will from the dot-connecting they do here....either way, it's not hard to imagine Rutgers wanting to move on from Kyle Flood.

NJ.com: Why is Miami coaching candidate Mario Cristobal suddenly following Rutgers recruits?

#32 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:10 PM

Do we know for sure he would continue to run it if he thought he had the talent to do something different?

How would we know for sure?   I do know that it's the only thing he's done ever since he played for PJ @ Hawaii...

Plus, I can't imagine somebody hiring him to do something else... his success is based on making that particular O work... at the moment, he's got the world's 2nd-strongest background at being an expert on it... at this point, there's no way to know if he's better or worse at it than PJ is...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:57 PM

Don't want to jump the gun, but it sounds more and more like LSU will be on the list of schools looking for a coach (a mistake, IMO). They would definitely come before MD in the pecking order.

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

Don't want to jump the gun, but it sounds more and more like LSU will be on the list of schools looking for a coach (a mistake, IMO). They would definitely come before MD in the pecking order.

IMO, the real question would be who gets Les Miles? 

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:28 PM

IMO, the real question would be who gets Les Miles? 

He's 62. Still has a few years left if he wants, but some schools might be hesitant because of that too. He could probably recruit like hell just about anywhere. I could see him staying in the SEC with either SC or Mizzou.

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

More fuel to the fire that Les is getting the axe at LSU.

He has the #1 recruiting class for 2016, FYI.

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,549 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

God it would never happen but I'd offer him a blank check and 49% of stock in UA if he came here.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

ESPN: Source: 'Good possibility' that LSU buys out Les Miles' contract

There is "a very good possibility" that LSU will buy out Les Miles' contract, a high-ranking source involved in the decision regarding the coach's future told ESPN on Monday.

"In Louisiana, we expect national championships, and we're not in it," the source told ESPN, adding that meetings happening on Monday could lead to a quick resolution.

Before the Saban & Miles eras, what Les has done just in the recent years would have probably been considered pretty good there by comparison. Short memories.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

ESPN: FSU coach Jimbo Fisher says it's 'unfair' to discuss LSU speculation

Fisher, in his sixth year at Florida State, is considered to be a candidate at LSU if the school parts ways with Les Miles following the season.

Doesn't make sense to me for him to do that. Individually, FSU and LSU are about equivalent on the prestige scale, and I'm sure they're pretty equal on the money scale. Yeah, LSU is in the SEC versus ACC....but you gotta wonder why a coach who is recruiting SEC-type players, but only playing an ACC schedule, would want to walk away from that. Most years FSU should be the easier path to the playoff.

#40 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:01 AM

So Les Miles is staying at LSU. Saw a tweet that said, "Les pulled a fake field goal on all of us."

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=