#1 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Might as well start this up, officially.

Frank Beamer announces retirement after 2015 season

So we can talk about that. And we can talk about how there are already eight jobs to be filled this offseason.

Virginia Tech

Maryland

Miami

Illinois

UCF

USC

USC

North Texas (OK, we can skip this one)

EDIT to add:

Minnesota

Hawaii

@DJ_McCann

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

Anyone else remember someone posting that MD would be easily the best open job this year?

@fuzydunlop

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Pretty sure Minnesota's coach only has the "interim" tag.

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

Pretty sure Minnesota's coach only has the "interim" tag.

Nine jobs.

@DJ_McCann

#5 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

I thought Beamer's retiring was not a big surprise, and that there's a HC-in-waiting on his staff.   But I have no idea why I thought that....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

I thought Beamer's retiring was not a big surprise, and that there's a HC-in-waiting on his staff.   But I have no idea why I thought that....

For a long time there was speculation that Bud Foster would be in line for the job if/when Beamer retired. I can't recall whether he's had serious suitors for other head coaching jobs, but I would think it's no accident that he is the highest paid assistant coach in college football (makes something like $1.3 million/yr). That said, he's been an assistant so long that his window of opportunity may have come and gone (he's in his mid-50s now, not terribly old, but older than most coaches get their first shot at a HC job). More recently Beamer's son has been the rumored successor.

Officially I'm pretty sure the NCAA did away with the "coach-in-waiting" title a few years ago, but that doesn't mean that you can't unofficially have a succession plan in place.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

It's one of those things where it's surprising (because you are never expecting someone in his position to leave at any given time) but not shocking (because of how long he's been there and his age).

Looking him up, I never knew that he was at Maryland for a time (graduate assistant in '72, went with Bobby Ross to The Citadel the following year).

@DJ_McCann

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

It's one of those things where it's surprising (because you are never expecting someone in his position to leave at any given time) but not shocking (because of how long he's been there and his age).

Looking him up, I never knew that he was at Maryland for a time (graduate assistant in '72, went with Bobby Ross to The Citadel the following year).

That's when he and Friedgen became such good buddies. Lots of interesting names in college/pro coaching have passed through MD over the years that you might not guess....Bear Bryant, Lou Saban, Lee Corso, to name a few.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Hawaii just fired Norm Chow.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

Has there ever been a year with more in-season firings than this one?

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

That's when he and Friedgen became such good buddies. Lots of interesting names in college/pro coaching have passed through MD over the years that you might not guess....Bear Bryant, Lou Saban, Lee Corso, to name a few.

Didn't know Corso, but knew the other two (I think every Maryland fan ought to know by law that Bryant coached here :P).

@DJ_McCann

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:30 PM

Hawaii just fired Norm Chow.

Just in time to get that USC job.

@DJ_McCann

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Didn't know Corso, but knew the other two (I think every Maryland fan ought to know by law that Bryant coached here :P).

He was only an assistant, but Corso was who recruited Friedgen to play at MD. After UM he only had to drive east a little to get to his next coaching gig, at Navy.

EDIT: Here's something I didn't know about the Corso/MD/Navy connection. Corso was the coach who convinced Darryl Hill, the first black player at UM or any ACC school, to transfer from Navy to UM.

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

He was only an assistant, but Corso was who recruited Friedgen to play at MD.

I looked for a photo of Corso with a Testudo head, but they've never done a Terps game :(

EDIT: Close enough!

univarch-004005-0001-medium.jpg

@DJ_McCann

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

I looked for a photo of Corso with a Testudo head, but they've never done a Terps game :(

Last year at the Inner Harbor is probably as close as you'll get before Corso calls it quits.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

Last year at the Inner Harbor is probably as close as you'll get before Corso calls it quits.

Not that I think you're wrong here, but I think he just signed a multi-year deal last year (maybe 3 years?). Also in a recent article, I remember ESPN brass saying, he's welcome to stay as long as he wants. He's only doing GameDay right now, I could see them reducing his role further to just the picks (and a few segments maybe). In this case, I tend to believe ESPN since his end-of-the-show picks are a must-see for cfb fans. 

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

For a long time there was speculation that Bud Foster would be in line for the job if/when Beamer retired. I can't recall whether he's had serious suitors for other head coaching jobs, but I would think it's no accident that he is the highest paid assistant coach in college football (makes something like $1.3 million/yr). That said, he's been an assistant so long that his window of opportunity may have come and gone (he's in his mid-50s now, not terribly old, but older than most coaches get their first shot at a HC job). More recently Beamer's son has been the rumored successor.

Officially I'm pretty sure the NCAA did away with the "coach-in-waiting" title a few years ago, but that doesn't mean that you can't unofficially have a succession plan in place.

Is this still the case -- Kirby Smart? Lane Kiffin? Will Muschamp?

@levineps

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

This says he was as of last year: http://sports.usatod...tball/assistant

This article, though, from before this season, says he's now tied for tenth (and shows his pay as being significantly less): http://www.saturdayd...stant-salaries/

• Oriole85 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

This was my source, but it's slightly dated. Safe to say he was in 2014 though.

http://www.sbnation....er-dollar-signs

• Oriole85 likes this

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

This says he was as of last year: http://sports.usatod...tball/assistant

This article, though, from before this season, says he's now tied for tenth (and shows his pay as being significantly less): http://www.saturdayd...stant-salaries/

I'm surprised it was still the case last year. I knew he was for a while, but would've thought someone else had displaced him the past few years.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=