970 replies to this topic

#21 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

I'm not going to get excited for a top pick until the end of the season. We'll end up coming back and winning enough games to ruin our chance at an impact rookie next year.

Im not going to be excited for a top pick until said pick suits up earns a starting job.

There is just as much bust potential in the top 10 picks than in the rest of the first round. And a bust in the top ten costs a lot more money.

Everyone salivated at the thought of Clowney and Watt together. I called Clowney being overrated as the hype from one single play is what made him a household name. Hes trending dangerously close to bust.

Its all a lottery. For every Beckham there is a Travis Taylor. For every Reed there is a Matt Elam.
@BSLMikeRandall

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:19 AM

Everyone salivated at the thought of Clowney and Watt together. I called Clowney being overrated as the hype from one single play is what made him a household name. Hes trending dangerously close to bust.

If Houston wants trade Clowney, sign me up for that lottery.

Beyond that, I agree with the general point that you never know for sure what you are getting... and that the higher the pick, the more $ is involved (thus risk).... but you should in theory have that much more talent available to you to draft. It's on the scouting department to figure out who provides the best combination of ceiling, and minimal risk.

#23 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:26 PM

I trust the Ravens when picking in elite talent spots. Say the top 10 or even 15. Taylor is the only bust they've had in the top 10. Next worst is probably Starks and he was a solid starting CB. McAllister, Ogden, Boulware, Suggs, Jamal were All Pros. Ngata was chosen at 11. He was an All Pro.They pulled the big trade back in '08 that netted us Joe. So I definitely trust this FO with an elite 1st round pick
  • BSLChrisStoner and Biggsy like this

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,542 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

The great thing about a high draft pick is picking high in the subsequent rounds as well. I would expect the Ravens to have a field day. There's a lot of value still in moving up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Say we pick 10th instead of our normal 22-28'ish...

The trickle down effect is something like having your first 4 rounds of picks being 10, 42, 74 and 106. This instead of, say, 26, 58, 90 and 122.

Captain obvious... but that's a pretty significant difference and could be huge for a team with cap issues.
  • BSLChrisStoner, Biggsy, GabeFerguson and 1 other like this

#25 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

The mock that has us taking a corner with the 3rd pick, NO!!! NO, no, no!!!! Our corner talent isn't where the problem is at. It is getting pressure on the QB. We need a successor to Suggs and Doom. If no one is there justifying a high pick, trade down and get two ones. Also, replacing Pees would be like a top pick in itself!

#26 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

The mock that has us taking a corner with the 3rd pick, NO!!! NO, no, no!!!! Our corner talent isn't where the problem is at. It is getting pressure on the QB. We need a successor to Suggs and Doom. If no one is there justifying a high pick, trade down and get two ones. Also, replacing Pees would be like a top pick in itself!

I think CB is a pretty big need, and if the Ravens could land a player like Hargreaves or Ramsey it is absolutely worth taking a CB high.

If you were to ask me in a vacuum which position is a bigger need, I'd say OLB, but I'm not in favor of trading down in the one draft where the Ravens have a high pick in the past 8 seasons to go after an edge rusher instead of some other position that may not be quite as big of a need.

@gabefergy

#27 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

Im not going to be excited for a top pick until said pick suits up earns a starting job. There is just as much bust potential in the top 10 picks than in the rest of the first round. And a bust in the top ten costs a lot more money.Everyone salivated at the thought of Clowney and Watt together. I called Clowney being overrated as the hype from one single play is what made him a household name. Hes trending dangerously close to bust. Its all a lottery. For every Beckham there is a Travis Taylor. For every Reed there is a Matt Elam.

As bnick pointed out, the Ravens have a great track record on top 15 selections. If we completely tank and have a chance at Bosa, I'd feel extremely happy.

In any case, like Ricker said, we also would have top picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and have a chance at falling talent in those rounds. Seems like every year a guy like Landon Collins drops and a team in the top of the 2nd lucks out with 2 first round talents in the same draft. Be nice if we could potentially get a guy like Bosa, Ramsey or Tyler Boyd and then land another 1st round talent like Elliot (unlikely he'd drop, but RB's aren't looked at as 1st round picks any more.) Henry, Kendall Fuller or Leonard Floyd.

#28 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

What do you guys think of getting a tackle or guard with the first round pick if it is in the top 5?

Its not sexy, but those positions are the surest thing of all positions when drafting that high. Have to consider if Wagner and KO are long term options. Probably not KO.

The entire offense runs better when you have a strong line. Star WRs cant make plays when Flacco has no time. Mediocre RBs are aided by better O-Lines.
@BSLMikeRandall

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:40 PM

As bnick pointed out, the Ravens have a great track record on top 15 selections. If we completely tank and have a chance at Bosa, I'd feel extremely happy.

In any case, like Ricker said, we also would have top picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and have a chance at falling talent in those rounds. Seems like every year a guy like Landon Collins drops and a team in the top of the 2nd lucks out with 2 first round talents in the same draft. Be nice if we could potentially get a guy like Bosa, Ramsey or Tyler Boyd and then land another 1st round talent like Elliot (unlikely he'd drop, but RB's aren't looked at as 1st round picks any more.) Henry, Kendall Fuller or Leonard Floyd.

I get that it would be exciting for some. But for me, ill be excited if Bosa dominates camp like Mosley did. Until then....nothing to be excited about.
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

What do you guys think of getting a tackle or guard with the first round pick if it is in the top 5?

Its not sexy, but those positions are the surest thing of all positions when drafting that high. Have to consider if Wagner and KO are long term options. Probably not KO.

The entire offense runs better when you have a strong line. Star WRs cant make plays when Flacco has no time. Mediocre RBs are aided by better O-Lines.

Against it. The OL isn't a problem right now, and even though KO is probably going to take off for FA, Urschel seems like a solid replacement. Monroe is only 2 years into a 5 year deal. Yanda is locked up. Zuttah is under contract through 2018. Wagner has been a good player overall, and even if he leaves in FA after next season it's hard to see the value in taking a rookie tackle under the auspices of Wagner possible leaving. 

Too many other positions are far more pressing to pass on.

@gabefergy

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:13 PM

Guard, no. Way too much talent at that position later in the draft. Tackle, if he's a top tier talent better than anyone else on the board, it'd be hard to get mad about. Especially if he's like Zack Martin, Brandon Scherff or Glen Robinson and can be used at guard as well. It's not sexy.

Only one tackle I think would be worth a top 5 selection though. With Smith retiring, and Perriman's injury. It'd be hard to ignore a great WR prospect.

Edit: pass rusher would also be hard to ignore. I'd say our pick should ultimately come down to deciding between WR and a great pass rusher.

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:39 PM

CBS Sports: Mock Draft 10/18

http://www.cbssports...in-connnor-cook

10. Baltimore Ravens : Leonard Floyd, DE/OLB, Georgia
With Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil on the wrong side of 30 years old and struggling to stay healthy, pass rusher is a need area for the Ravens. Floyd is a twitchy, long athlete who can bend the edge and drop in space if needed.

• Roll Tide likes this

#33 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

CBS Sports: Mock Draft 10/18
http://www.cbssports...in-connnor-cook

10. Baltimore Ravens : Leonard Floyd, DE/OLB, Georgia
With Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil on the wrong side of 30 years old and struggling to stay healthy, pass rusher is a need area for the Ravens. Floyd is a twitchy, long athlete who can bend the edge and drop in space if needed.

So this guy has us picking ten...if the Ravens do well enough from here on out to drop to the tenth spot I think i will puke.
Roll Tide

#34 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

So this guy has us picking ten...if the Ravens do well enough from here on out to drop to the tenth spot I think i will puke.

I think they end up in the 10-16 range. This isn't a team that should lose 12 games, even after starting 1-5.

@gabefergy

#35 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:37 AM

I think they end up in the 10-16 range. This isn't a team that should lose 12 games, even after starting 1-5.

The defense is terrible and is getting torched every week. The offensive has its own problems . Their is no reason to be believe it's going to get better.
Roll Tide

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:20 AM

The defense is terrible and is getting torched every week. The offensive has its own problems . Their is no reason to be believe it's going to get better.

Well that's wrong.

First of all, they will hopefully get healthier.

Also, a big issue in the secondary is communication, hopefully that gets better.

On the offensive side, every week Joe should get more and more comfortable with this offense.

Lastly, they are at home a lot in the second half.

#37 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:14 AM

Well that's wrong.

First of all, they will hopefully get healthier.

Also, a big issue in the secondary is communication, hopefully that gets better.

On the offensive side, every week Joe should get more and more comfortable with this offense.

Lastly, they are at home a lot in the second half.

Not true Rob ...the secondary lacks enough talent. You don't bring new corners in from the scrap heap every few weeks and have the right guys.

Smith has a bad foot per the Ravens site and Kendrick Lewis has could be better after the bye. But the rest of the secondary is really inadequate. Webb is a slot player at this point and is out of position. Arrington was shown the door by the Patriots at the right time and Brooks can't stay healthy. Will Hill is perhaps the best we have and outside of a few plays is really ordinary.
Roll Tide

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Not true Rob ...the secondary lacks enough talent. You don't bring new corners in from the scrap heap every few weeks and have the right guys.

Smith has a bad foot per the Ravens site and Kendrick Lewis has could be better after the bye. But the rest of the secondary is really inadequate. Webb is a slot player at this point and is out of position. Arrington was shown the door by the Patriots at the right time and Brooks can't stay healthy. Will Hill is perhaps the best we have and outside of a few plays is really ordinary.

He's not saying the secondary will become the Legion of Boom.  Just that it should get better as the year goes on.  It almost certainly can't get worse.  It wouldn't require being particularly good to be better than it's been.

Jimmy when 100% is capable of performing as a shut-down corner, one of the best in the league.  Who knows if he'll actually get back to that level this year, but it's certainly possible, and at the very least I think him improving his play to a decent level is likely to happen..  Will Hill is also very good, saying he's ordinary I think is a really bad analysis of his abilities.  Webb hasn't been very good this year and I think it's fair to wonder if he'll ever get back to being an asset.  Arrington also I think it's fair to question if he can be helpful.  But at the very least, if those guys can get on the field they should be better than guys like Wright have been.

Would agree that there is no reason to believe it's going to become a good secondary.  But there is clearly reason to believe it is going to get better. 

#39 GabeFerguson

GabeFerguson

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:49 PM

The biggest problem in the secondary right now is Jimmy Smith. He got paid to be a top 10 CB and based off his play 2013-2104 it made a lot of sense. Unfortunately, his play is more in line with a bottom 10 CB than a top 10 CB.

I'm really hoping it's because he isn't 100% healthy and if that is the case, he will hopefully bounce back. I'd even consider sitting him a couple weeks or even IR if it means getting him back to what he was. Right now, he is not doing much positive.

Webb is pretty much what I expect him to be. He's solid in the slot, and that has value. Not what the Ravens are paying him, but he is still useful. I do think switching him strictly to a FS/slot CB role would help the defense.

Arrington is meh. Not terrible, but he can take some snaps in the slot and not be a complete liability.

Shareece Wright was awful in his first week but looked better vs Arizona. Too early to say much definitively. I don't think he is someone you count on moving forward.

All that said, I think drafting a CB high makes a lot of sense. Getting someone like Ramsey or Hargreaves could take a mediocre/poor group to a very good/elite one if Jimmy Smith bounces back, and if he doesn't you have a massive need at CB anyways.

Bosa would probably be my #1 choice, but I still doubt the Ravens get the #1 pick which is likely where Bosa goes. Tunsil is a very nice option at OT, but I think I would prioritize CB or pass rush over OL. WR might be an option as well depending on where the pick is.

@gabefergy

#40 wickedsolo

wickedsolo
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'd entertain a first rounder on Ezekiel Elliott, but only if the Ravens traded down and were picking in the 20's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=