5819 replies to this topic

#5661 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 05:17 PM

I recall The Wire being shot in Fells Point back in the day (late 90s, early 00s) and there always being police present. Not the actors in uniform of course. It's just such an unforced error for the city to allow this to happen. It gives all the troglodytes fodder for their hatred of all things urban. 

#5662 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 08:32 PM

I recall The Wire being shot in Fells Point back in the day (late 90s, early 00s) and there always being police present. Not the actors in uniform of course. It's just such an unforced error for the city to allow this to happen. It gives all the troglodytes fodder for their hatred of all things urban.

It also deters others from maybe filming their project in Baltimore which creates jobs and whatnot.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5663 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 August 2022 - 06:59 AM

Not a fan of the new start times for AACPS

• JeremyStrain likes this

#5664 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

Not a fan of the new start times for AACPS

Yeah not even a little bit. Yesterday, they got home, and we had 4 minutes before we had to leave for practice. We get a little break this year because we are out of elementary for one year, but next year we have one in K, one in 7 and one in 9th.

Having 5 year olds catching the bus at 720am is NOT the answer for letting HS kids sleep longer.

@JeremyMStrain

#5665 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:16 AM

Yeah not even a little bit. Yesterday, they got home, and we had 4 minutes before we had to leave for practice. We get a little break this year because we are out of elementary for one year, but next year we have one in K, one in 7 and one in 9th.

Having 5 year olds catching the bus at 720am is NOT the answer for letting HS kids sleep longer.

Absolutely.  We are lucky in that we are the last stop so our bus doesn't get there until 7:35 but this is just absurdly early for the elementary students.   

It also stinks for HS sports,  I help coach cross country.  Last year our practices would usually be over around 4:30 worked out well as the youngest were just getting home around 4.   This year we don't start practice until 3:45.  

My kids are 2nd, 5th and 7th, so I've got two years before the  3 kids 3 schools routine.

#5666 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2022 - 08:31 AM

Absolutely.  We are lucky in that we are the last stop so our bus doesn't get there until 7:35 but this is just absurdly early for the elementary students.   

It also stinks for HS sports,  I help coach cross country.  Last year our practices would usually be over around 4:30 worked out well as the youngest were just getting home around 4.   This year we don't start practice until 3:45.  

My kids are 2nd, 5th and 7th, so I've got two years before the  3 kids 3 schools routine.

Yeah, it's just so dumb. Now the elementary aged group is going to fight to change start times again. Just like the HS group did for a few years. The answer is that they need to go concurrently. No one cares about their "well there aren't enough buses" excuse anymore because they got the schedule they want for that and half the buses don't run anyway.

Yeah 100% does, you guys got lucky you have the later practice time for soccer now, I'm sure it's a 30 min drive for you too. Liv got home at 415 yesterday, and we had to be out the door by 420 to make it to SP in time. They were all so dead on their feet during practice because they had ALL just got out of their first day (almost all of our team are in 6th, most of the 7th are on the other team) and come STRAIGHT from school. I wonder if this isn't part of why there was such a spike in county soccer sign ups at these ages this year. General years, there's not enough to field a HS team or BARELY is, and there's like one MS team even with combining 3 years for each. This year there's 3 MS teams and 2 HS teams. Been trying to figure out why for a while now, just really weird, but there's a couple variables there so hard to say.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5667 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like initial reports about the Lady in the Lake thing might have been exaggerated.

Happening now: Police say an investigation into purported threats that temporarily halted filming of "Lady in the Lake" shows the initial reports appear grossly overblown. Story to come.

#5668 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 11:37 AM

Sounds like initial reports about the Lady in the Lake thing might have been exaggerated.

Happening now: Police say an investigation into purported threats that temporarily halted filming of "Lady in the Lake" shows the initial reports appear grossly overblown. Story to come.

This is strange. I saw an article on WBALTV.com that said the BPD were investigating "discrepancies" in the claims, but didn't offer any source material from the police in terms of a quote, or what caused them to suspect something was amiss...Which of course made me wonder as to the value of WBAL's journalistic efforts.  :!:  :idea:

#5669 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:27 PM

This is strange. I saw an article on WBALTV.com that said the BPD were investigating "discrepancies" in the claims, but didn't offer any source material from the police in terms of a quote, or what caused them to suspect something was amiss...Which of course made me wonder as to the value of WBAL's journalistic efforts.  :!:  :idea:

there was numerous that did say this, not just WBAL.

All they did was, report news.

Wouldnt be the first time, Hollywood fabricated news for publicity.

Sad part about it, when we all first heard this, we thought, yup, dang, terrible the way things are going in the city.

Not the response. This doesnt pass the smell taste, lets see what followup we hear.

#5670 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:32 PM

Police say a "Lady in the Lake" location manager and set security supervisor told them of a gun being brandished and extortion/violence threats, but that they had secondhand information and changed their stories

Police scale back accusations related to alleged threat on set of ‘Lady in the Lake’ - The Baltimore Banner

• Old Man likes this

#5671 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,243 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:26 PM

Whatever actually happened on Park Avenue may never be actually clear. However, something must have occurred, because the crew moved to another location in the city to finish shooting the scene.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5672 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 30 August 2022 - 02:58 PM

Sounds like a game of telephone, where some driver had a minor incident with a street vendor complaining about the filming hurting his business, and the story kept getting exaggerated as it was told to each new person up the ladder, to the point where the last person thought someone had demanded $50,000 at gunpoint.  And then that last person reported it to the police as if it had personally happened to them.

#5673 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,751 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 September 2022 - 06:38 AM

Sounds like a game of telephone, where some driver had a minor incident with a street vendor complaining about the filming hurting his business, and the story kept getting exaggerated as it was told to each new person up the ladder, to the point where the last person thought someone had demanded $50,000 at gunpoint.  And then that last person reported it to the police as if it had personally happened to them.

650265.jpg?b64lines=IFdFTEwhIFdFJ0xMIFNI

• Nigel Tufnel likes this

#5674 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 07:27 AM

Seams that a street vendor made threatening comments, as hollywood paid inconvenience money to the surrounding stores, and nothing to him.

Not sure how much truth there is, in that comment, but  it doesnt sound outrageous either.

#5675 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 04:04 PM

8 cars totaled and burned out, due to grill left on after tailgating over and fans went in to watch the game.

This happens way too often.

Is it really that hard to remember to turn the frecking grill off, or is alcohol really clouding their brain power?

#5676 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 September 2022 - 01:13 PM

Drank way too much yesterday. Anyone else feel super depressed when they wake up the day after a bender? Lousy feeling.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5677 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 02:19 PM

Drank way too much yesterday. Anyone else feel super depressed when they wake up the day after a bender? Lousy feeling.

Alcohol is a depressant.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5678 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 02:26 PM

Its depressing when its all gone, amirite!?

I had a crippling hangover yesterday.  We went to a big neighborhood party and then afterwards impromptu invited people back to our house and ended up with a keg and the liquor from the bar here with like 30 or so people until about 3am.  I've been up at 3am frequently in the past few years, but haven't stayed up until 3 in quite some time.  Really beat the hell out of me.  Got worse as the day went along, in the morning I actually was close to ok and took the kids for a walk while my wife rested.  By mid-afternoon I was puking (and not just from watching the Ravens).

#5679 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2022 - 02:35 PM

Yup, hangovers get worse as the day goes on for me too. Now they last for more than just one day as well. Getting old sucks.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5680 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 September 2022 - 03:42 PM

Something something responsible alcoholic

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=