5819 replies to this topic

#4601 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:32 AM

Pepe seemed pretty rough even when I was a kid.

Where does it stop?

Yeah, Pewe wasn't one of the top favs.

If you look hard enough at something, you are liable to find something about it that would offend somebody.

#4602 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:33 AM

Yeah, even as a kid I thought he was completely unfunny.  His cartoons always just made me feel sorry for the poor cat.

• KWebz likes this

#4603 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

Where does it stop?

Yeah, Pewe wasn't one of the top favs.

If you look hard enough at something, you are liable to find something about it that would offend somebody.

I'm always curious when I hear this kind of complaint, in what specific ways does news like this negatively impact your life?

• mweb08, RShack, KWebz and 1 other like this

#4604 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:21 AM

Pepe seemed pretty rough even when I was a kid.

Same, always made me feel awkward. Not to mention how the French must feel about the stereotype.

• KWebz likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4605 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

Same, always made me feel awkward. Not to mention how the French must feel about the stereotype.

I get it.

Where do we stop.

Elmer Fudd talks funny.

Puddy Cat is always trying to get the Bird

Foghorn Horn, called people BOY

Tom and Jerry are always blowing each other up

Wilie Coyote kills himself over and over trying to catch the Road Runner

The Martin has a ray gun and likes to vaporize people

The news ones arent much better.

Barney / Spongebob / Simpson / South Park / Family Guy / Dexter's Laboratory

#4606 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 12:55 PM

I get it.

Where do we stop.

Elmer Fudd talks funny.

Pepe le Pew sucks. The cat was always depicted as scared. Unwanted male attention and stalking is a very real issue that women deal with all the time. The fact that a cartoon was made about this AND that was supposed to be funny is messed up. I always felt very icky while watching it. The character is super rape-y now and was super rape-y then.

Your comment uses "whataboutism" to minimize this and is a disappointing take.

• mweb08, Mackus, Mashed Potatoes and 3 others like this

#4607 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:38 PM

I get it.

Where do we stop.

Elmer Fudd talks funny.

Slippery slope argument is such a lame argument, in almost any application IMO. You stop where it makes sense.

Pepe Le Pew's only character trait is that he is a sexual harasser. Defend that if you want, but I think you're gonna look bad doing so.

Miss Piggy and Steve Urkel have other character traits, you could rework the slightly uncomfortable things about them and still have a real character.
  • You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, RShack and 3 others like this

#4608 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

I would chime in but I'll let Jon Oliver answer for me

NSFW ( do people still go to work?)

• KWebz likes this

#4609 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:36 PM

The Dave Chappelle stand-up routine about Pepe le Pew is...pretty on-brand.

#4610 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 March 2021 - 02:44 PM

Slippery slope argument is such a lame argument, in almost any application IMO. You stop where it makes sense.

Pepe Le Pew's only character trait is that he is a sexual harasser. Defend that if you want, but I think you're gonna look bad doing so.

Miss Piggy and Steve Urkel have other character traits, you could rework the slightly uncomfortable things about them and still have a real character.

Yep.

I'm sure most won't admit this if it applies to them, but I think many slippery slope arguments are made because the person either knows how it will make them look to defend whatever it is head on and/or because they know they can't make a strong argument.

My suggestion, or plea really, is that if you want to defend an animated rapey French skunk, or an old racist children's book, or thousands of monuments to people who fought a whole war to leave our country for the purpose of preserving slavery, then step up to the plate and really defend it. Otherwise, step aside and wait for the possibility of a related matter to come down the slope enough for you to take it on, and hey, at that point you will probably have a better argument and more people on your side. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLRoseKatz like this

#4611 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:25 PM

I would never advocate any type of sexual harassments. I have daughters, daughters-in-laws and granddaughters, not to mention a wife, a mother and a mother-in-law. Whoppi is as liberal as they come and evens he has come out and said this is silly.

Pepe gone doesnt move the meter for me. But, who is next, Elmer, because he mispronounces his words and talks funny?

Even Fluffy was asking in tweet land, if his character Speedy was next on the chopping block.

#4612 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:30 PM

Even Fluffy was asking in tweet land, if his character Speedy was next on the chopping block.

I thought Speedy was already gone tbh. Dude's been problematic for his own reasons.

#4613 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:32 PM

I thought Speedy was already gone tbh. Dude's been problematic for his own reasons.

Mel Blanc the original voice is dead, but they signed Fluffy for Speedy in Space Jam 2.

#4614 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 March 2021 - 03:59 PM

I would never advocate any type of sexual harassments. I have daughters, daughters-in-laws and granddaughters, not to mention a wife, a mother and a mother-in-law. Whoppi is as liberal as they come and evens he has come out and said this is silly.

Pepe gone doesnt move the meter for me. But, who is next, Elmer, because he mispronounces his words and talks funny?

And this negatively impacts your life, how?
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#4615 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 11 March 2021 - 04:43 PM

Mel Blanc the original voice is dead, but they signed Fluffy for Speedy in Space Jam 2.

Random aside, I didn't know Iglesias was known as Fluffy now. I remember him back from his ComcView days. Dude is friggin' hilarious.

#4616 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:26 PM

I feel like it's not that hard to distinguish between "this character is a jerk in a comedic way" and "this character is a jerk in a way that's uncomfortably close to real life scenarios" 

When there's suddenly a very real concern over people pretending to be their neighbor, complete with a comically large nose, then I'll worry about Spongebob's behavior

#4617 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 11 March 2021 - 05:56 PM

So if you didn’t have daughters and granddaughters, you’d be cooler with it?
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

@fuzydunlop

#4618 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 06:15 PM

California cancelled Abraham Lincoln. So if there is a slippery slope, they jumped off a ramp and went right to the bottom of it.
  • Mark Carver likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4619 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:03 AM

California cancelled Abraham Lincoln. So if there is a slippery slope, they jumped off a ramp and went right to the bottom of it.

No, California did not...

It was a handful of candy-asses on the SF school board... not SF, not SF gov't, and not the bulk of parents of kids in SF schools... but a *handful* on the school board who voted against naming anything in a way that anybody (including ignorant people) complained about...  but, of course, that's not what Fox News told their viewers...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#4620 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 04:30 AM

I would chime in but I'll let Jon Oliver answer for me

NSFW ( do people still go to work?)

And it wasn't even Dr. Seuss's publisher who decided to stop publication of those measly 6 of his 68 (!!) books... it was his very own estate that pulled them... 

So, apparently, Fox News thinks it's no longer OK for the *owners of private property* to decide whether or not sell their very own property...

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=