5819 replies to this topic

#4541 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:34 AM

I would strongly suggest hooking up your computer to a television, if you can. It's a lot easier to watch, especially for a ton of hours a day.

Thats good, when its just one. 

My kids are using my house for school, my house is larger and has good internet, but it gets them out of the house, and the wife can play lunch monitor. 4 kids in different classes on laptops and headphones. 2 in the living room and 2 in the dinning room, and my kids go back and forth monitoring. :)

• The Epic likes this

#4542 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

Have you noticed even insecure kids are posting selfies on social media every 3 nano seconds?

I dont get that, then, again, I also too old to talk in #hashtags LOL

Nah, those aren't the kids you are worried about, those are the shallow ones that are fishing for compliments. Different kind of insecure. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that won't have anything to do with social media or that aren't putting themselves out there. Smarter, but the kind of adverse affects some of these keyboard warriors can have on them is borderline traumatizing.

Back in our day (pre-internet), you could bully people, but the risk you ran was getting punched in the mouth if you picked the wrong person or they decided to stand up to you. These kids don't have those kinds of concerns, they think they are bulletproof.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4543 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:37 AM

I would strongly suggest hooking up your computer to a television, if you can. It's a lot easier to watch, especially for a ton of hours a day.

I have an old 43" Toshiba as my second monitor.

@JeremyMStrain

#4544 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

Thats good, when its just one. 

My kids are using my house for school, my house is larger and has good internet, but it gets them out of the house, and the wife can play lunch monitor. 4 kids in different classes on laptops and headphones. 2 in the living room and 2 in the dinning room, and my kids go back and forth monitoring. :)

Eesh that's tight. We just have the two actually in school, they are in the same room with their own desks, but it's just off the main living room, so I've been trying to corral the little one into hanging out in the sunroom on the other side of the house so you can't hear the TV or toys in the background for the other two.

@JeremyMStrain

#4545 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:13 AM

Eesh that's tight. We just have the two actually in school, they are in the same room with their own desks, but it's just off the main living room, so I've been trying to corral the little one into hanging out in the sunroom on the other side of the house so you can't hear the TV or toys in the background for the other two.

8th grade, 5 grade, 3rd and K

The two older seam to be working well on their own, they both are electronically incline, so its been cool for them. My two smaller ones are more active and arent dealing with online learning perfectly.

#4546 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

Jeremy and Ricker, I agree with what you guys are saying regarding video. Good thoughts.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#4547 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:32 AM

8th grade, 5 grade, 3rd and K

The two older seam to be working well on their own, they both are electronically incline, so its been cool for them. My two smaller ones are more active and arent dealing with online learning perfectly.

Ah yeah, we have 6th and 4th and then a 2.5 year old.

They seem to be doing really well so far, before any of the real assignments have started, but like yours are super electronically savvy, so they are enjoying things so far.

But yeah our friends with younger kids half have pulled their kids and homeschooled them cause online just can't work for the younger ones, trying to teach them to read, and they have to type out an answer to something? If they can't read yet how are they going to type a response? It hasn't been...ideal, especially for PK and K.

@JeremyMStrain

#4548 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:42 AM

Ah yeah, we have 6th and 4th and then a 2.5 year old.

They seem to be doing really well so far, before any of the real assignments have started, but like yours are super electronically savvy, so they are enjoying things so far.

But yeah our friends with younger kids half have pulled their kids and homeschooled them cause online just can't work for the younger ones, trying to teach them to read, and they have to type out an answer to something? If they can't read yet how are they going to type a response? It hasn't been...ideal, especially for PK and K.

My kids are pretty bright, and home schooling online hasnt been the easiest, and it beats no learning going on. I think they are all looking forward to in-school learning, when its its safe to return to the classroom.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#4549 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

I’m sure he’s a good guy, but the same person highjacking the Ravens game thread every week is a bit much...
  • Mike in STL likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#4550 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:46 PM

On the rare occasions over the past decade where MD Football has had a good win... it feels like the Ravens always lose. 

#4551 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:51 PM

On the rare occasions over the past decade where MD Football has had a good win... it feels like the Ravens always lose.

Interesting recollection. What was the last one?

#4552 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:57 PM

Interesting recollection. What was the last one?

Probably an irritational feeling with no substance, just have felt it previously.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4553 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 05:05 PM

Incredibly frustrating feeling like your team was jobbed by inconsistent officiating. As an official I hate putting that on officials because I hate when someone insinuates Im being biased. That said, there are def times when you see two different games being called for each team.

#4554 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 06:15 PM

Incredibly frustrating feeling like your team was jobbed by inconsistent officiating. As an official I hate putting that on officials because I hate when someone insinuates Im being biased. That said, there are def times when you see two different games being called for each team.

I try often to say put yourself in a position where the refs don’t decide the game. And players and coaches will say “we could have done better...” But the truth is these guys are trying hard, and the other team is trying hard, and games are close and officials do sometimes decide games. Today a touchdown was taken off the board because of a holding call that looked like it didn’t need to be called. A decision was made to eject a starting defender when it could have been let go as inadvertent.

I want to say “do better”, but it’s not easy to just be winning by 20+ all the time.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4555 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 November 2020 - 07:47 PM

Probably an irritational feeling with no substance, just have felt it previously.  

They blew out Syracuse a day before Lamar's big game in Miami, but that win didn't end up meaning much for Maryland

#4556 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:10 AM

I try often to say put yourself in a position where the refs don’t decide the game. And players and coaches will say “we could have done better...” But the truth is these guys are trying hard, and the other team is trying hard, and games are close and officials do sometimes decide games. Today a touchdown was taken off the board because of a holding call that looked like it didn’t need to be called. A decision was made to eject a starting defender when it could have been let go as inadvertent.

I want to say “do better”, but it’s not easy to just be winning by 20+ all the time.

Joe Gibbs would tell the same things to his teams. You are going to get bad calls go against you. You should be winning by enough that those bad calls dont cost you the game.

As the game as evolved, the refs have not, maybe instant replay has even made them worse. I can remember my dad and grandfather arguing over ref calls that sucked, and that was many many moons ago.

#4557 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

See it in youth sports all the time since the level of ref/ump is much lower. It's one of the big lessons I try to teach them, you can't count on the letter of the rule to be upheld, there's going to be some give and take, because of human error, and the trick is to not put yourself in a situation you are relying on them. Don't hope for a walk, if you put the ball in play, they can't call you out on strikes. You hustle as hard as you can and there won't be many close calls to lose. Just frustrating when a 3rd party has an effect on the outcome of the players.

• Old Man likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#4558 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:49 AM

So busy yesterday that I couldn't watch or listen to even a minute of the Terps game. Looking like it'll be the same thing for Ravens today. Not even time to catch up on DVR after. Hope Ravens do as well in my stead as the Terps did!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4559 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:54 AM

Not sure when it happened, but Yahoo Sports is turning to clickbait. 

I like their sports app on my phone for checking scores. Never crashes, pretty up to date. Box scores tell me everything I want.  Along with that I get breaking news updates which is nice. Use yahoo for my few fantasy leagues and the mobile interface is great. I guess at some point I unknowingly opted into getting articles that aren't breaking news sent to my phone???

Most I ignore unless they interest me, but then they got really heavy on the Justin Turner shaming, blaming HIM for being whats wrong with Americans, instead of thou who shall not be named here. Holier than thou writers piss me off. 

Now I get an article that begs the question, "Is the NFL jobbing the Steelers?" 

Have you seen the officiating breaks they constantly get!?!?!? 

It's either a poorly worded title as jobbing insists that the NFL wants them to lose, or will aid in them losing. Or it's just a badly written article suggesting the Steelers are the greatest team ever for being 11-0 despite all the hurdles put in front of them or something stupid.

[Turns off yahoo notifications]

@BSLMikeRandall

#4560 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 07:56 AM

Yahoo app is good I agree but their print side has always been trash. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=