Photo

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

1. Yes (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well, technically Baltimore did have an NBA franchise before Virginia Beach ... it just didn't stick around. :|

True. And if they can just get an NBA-caliber arena built, Baltimore ought to be able to lure an NBA team ahead of Virginia Beach a second time.

Speaking of, whatever happened to that plan that a developer floated a while back to build an arena along with a convention center expansion? Did the city and state blow the opportunity to take advantage of what sounded like a good deal?

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

I just saw this and was coming in to say the same thing: Virginia Beach ahead of Baltimore is ridiculous, and would be our own fault.

That region did manage to support the Squires for six years in the ABA. A lot of cities couldn't do that.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I know this is only a rumor, and it has been denied, but if Virginia Friggin' Beach can get an NBA team before Baltimore, then we have a problem.

http://espn.go.com/n...e-move-virginia

I'm looking forward to that OKC-Virginia Beach NBA Finals. I think every small market looks at the success of OKC, and thinks why not us?
@levineps

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Ultimately, barring a breakthrough in Sacramento, I think the Kings end up in Seattle. It sounds like the deal with the hedge fund manager to build an arena just south of Safeco Field will happen, and given the market size and past history of supporting the NBA, it just makes too much sense. From an NBA logistical standpoint it makes sense too, since moving a team from Sacramento to VA Beach would most certainly require realignment.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm looking forward to that OKC-Virginia Beach NBA Finals. I think every small market looks at the success of OKC, and thinks why not us?

The NBA does have a history of success in being the lone pro-sports franchise in smaller markets, and the Norfolk DMA is actually slightly larger than OKC, as well as Memphis and New Orleans. Still, there are other reasons besides market size that I don't see it working there.

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

The NBA does have a history of success in being the lone pro-sports franchise in smaller markets, and the Norfolk DMA is actually slightly larger than OKC, as well as Memphis and New Orleans. Still, there are other reasons besides market size that I don't see it working there.

Hell, the NBA has a history of success in Sacramento. They just have Irsay Syndrome: awful ownership that not only destroys a team, but actively alienates the fan base.

I tend to believe that the basketball ranks in America, if not the NBA itself, could handle a bunch of more teams in a bunch of more cities. Not just Baltimore, but Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and Buffalo and Norfolk and Austin and Nashville and Raleigh and St. Louis and Anaheim and a couple Canadian cities and...

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hell, the NBA has a history of success in Sacramento. They just have Irsay Syndrome: awful ownership that not only destroys a team, but actively alienates the fan base.

I tend to believe that the basketball ranks in America, if not the NBA itself, could handle a bunch of more teams in a bunch of more cities. Not just Baltimore, but Pittsburgh and Cincinnati and Buffalo and Norfolk and Austin and Nashville and Raleigh and St. Louis and Anaheim and a couple Canadian cities and...

From a financial standpoint? Perhaps. From a competitive standpoint? No way. When you enter a season and only 3 or 4 teams out of 30 have a realistic chance of winning the title, as the case is this coming season IMO, then you have major competitive balance issues. While it will never happen, I think the best thing for the NBA from a competitive standpoint would be to contract about 10 teams.

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

From a financial standpoint? Perhaps. From a competitive standpoint? No way. When you enter a season and only 3 or 4 teams out of 30 have a realistic chance of winning the title, as the case is this coming season IMO, then you have major competitive balance issues. While it will never happen, I think the best thing for the NBA from a competitive standpoint would be to contract about 10 teams.

That's why I said if not the NBA. Maybe an outright rival league, or a high-level NBA-affiliated "minor" league, or even essentially a second NBA that is independent but coordinated (like the original NL and AL within MLB).

The NBA has added eight teams since 1981. Take those teams, add in the Nets and Clippers, and add another ten teams in expansion, and you have two 20-team leagues that could be run independently but in coordination with one another for certain things (mostly involving player movement).

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:16 AM

CBS Baltimore: Rob Long: Show Of Support For NBA In Baltimore?

If you’re hungry for something, you show that when it’s time to show your hunger. On August 27, 1992 the New Orleans Saints defeated the Miami Dolphins 17-3. 60,021 people showed up at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore to show the NFL that Baltimore wanted football to return. No one cared about either team. That was the city’s opportunity to show their passion for a league that had abandoned this area. That passion does not exist for professional basketball here. If it did, there would have been more than 5,100 people at the “Chicken Box” Monday night.

@levineps

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

CBS Baltimore: Rob Long: Show Of Support For NBA In Baltimore?

Ehh, there are reasons that comparison was lazy imo.

1) The NFL exhibition (I was there) was leading towards the NFL expansion (Jax, and Carolina)... Baltimore was in the running (and should have been awarded a team).  It's been made clear to everyone locally that Baltimore has no chance at obtaining an NBA team.

2) The Wizards host this game in Baltimore to claim the territory, and make it more difficult (impossible?) for another team to flirt with Baltimore for leverage for a new arena in their own cities.

3) If Baltimore had a new Arena... this is an event I would have liked to attend. I refuse to go to the existing Arena. I'm not alone in this opinion.

#31 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:06 AM

1) The NFL exhibition (I was there) was leading towards the NFL expansion (Jax, and Carolina)... Baltimore was in the running (and should have been awarded a team).  It's been made clear to everyone locally that Baltimore has no chance at obtaining an NBA team.

2) The Wizards host this game in Baltimore to claim the territory, and make it more difficult (impossible?) for another team to flirt with Baltimore for leverage for a new arena in their own cities.

3) If Baltimore had a new Arena... this is an event I would have liked to attend. I refuse to go to the existing Arena. I'm not alone in this opinion.

What Chris said.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#32 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

I just have no interest in supporting a Washington, D.C. team. None.

It's also not like it was a high-profile opponent. Sure, the Pelicans have Anthony Davis.

But if the some team like the Cavs, Spurs, Lakers, etc. played in Baltimore, the draw would be bigger.

#33 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Yup.  There is absolutely no reason to go see anything in this arena.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

I wouldnt but just because I dont care for the NBA product. However, if a new arena brings an NBA team, and thats a gateway to an ncaa conference championship, im in. I had a great time going to the CAA championship last year. Could only imagine how much fun an A-10, possibly Big Ten, ACC series would be. Also means could bring Baltimore a round of 64/32 set of games in the big dance. Id support that more than an NBA team.
@BSLMikeRandall

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'd definitely support an NBA team. Also, I will go to some indoor soccer games this year at the crappy arena. I see no reason to boycott it or whatever. There should be bigger priorities in Baltimore than a new arena, but I get that for most on here, some of these other issues don't directly affect them like an arena would.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:34 AM

I would.

And the arena is OK for concerts. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

I'd definitely support an NBA team. Also, I will go to some indoor soccer games this year at the crappy arena. I see no reason to boycott it or whatever. There should be bigger priorities in Baltimore than a new arena, but I get that for most on here, some of these other issues don't directly affect them like an arena would.

For me it's not a boycott. It's just that the place is so crappy that I don't really have a reason to go. If we had an NBA team and they had to play there a few years while the new one is built I'd definitely go.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:53 AM

For me it's not a boycott. It's just that the place is so crappy that I don't really have a reason to go. If we had an NBA team and they had to play there a few years while the new one is built I'd definitely go.

It is crappy, but if there's a concert or sporting event that I'd really want to go to, the arena isn't really going to lessen my enjoyment much at all in most cases.

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

I went to first round NCAA games at the Arena the last time they were there.  I was going to say it wasn't THAT long ago, but now that I think about it, it was 1995 (pause while I reflect on the fleeting nature of time) and Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess, and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves were the big stars that I saw.  It will have been 20 years this spring, so I guess the NCAA has likely outgrown the current arena.

• SBTarheel likes this

#40 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

I went to first round NCAA games at the Arena the last time they were there.  I was going to say it wasn't THAT long ago, but now that I think about it, it was 1995 (pause while I reflect on the fleeting nature of time) and Tim Duncan, Antonio McDyess, and Bryant "Big Country" Reeves were the big stars that I saw.  It will have been 20 years this spring, so I guess the NCAA has likely outgrown the current arena.

Man, how good was that Alabama/Penn game on Thursday night? McDyess became a star that weekend.

We saw Randolph Childress & Tim Duncan in Foot Locker between sessions, and they couldn't have been nicer to us. I told Childress I was a Tar Heel fan, and he said "damn, sorry to hear that man". It was great.

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=