Photo

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

1. Yes (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

Ehh, there are reasons that comparison was lazy imo.

1) The NFL exhibition (I was there) was leading towards the NFL expansion (Jax, and Carolina)... Baltimore was in the running (and should have been awarded a team). It's been made clear to everyone locally that Baltimore has no chance at obtaining an NBA team.

2) The Wizards host this game in Baltimore to claim the territory, and make it more difficult (impossible?) for another team to flirt with Baltimore for leverage for a new arena in their own cities.

3) If Baltimore had a new Arena... this is an event I would have liked to attend. I refuse to go to the existing Arena. I'm not alone in this opinion.

4) There are now two generations of people who have no memory of the NBA in Baltimore. If you gave them a game featuring teams that are attractive to casual followers of the NBA, I would almost guarantee more people would come. But up until I left Baltimore in 2007 the Wizards were a non-entity in the city, and I don't imagine one successful season with players that still aren't household names yet have changed that much. At least last year they played the Knicks, a team with some star power (the biggest of whom is also from Baltimore) that drew people. I can't imagine there is anything about the New Orleans Pelicans that even big-time NBA fans in Baltimore would find appealing.

But like Chris said, the Wizards want to keep the NBA out of Baltimore (not that it has much of a chance of happening even without them putting up a fight), so if the city/state ever do get their act together and build a new arena, the Wizards can wave the crappy attendance numbers as Reason #1 why Baltimore will never support the NBA and is thus undeserving.

#42 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:43 AM

Seeing as we're never in the conversation regarding an expansion (or relocated) NBA and/or NHL team, I'm guessing there's little to no interest.

Is it just because of our proximity to Washington? Or as I said above, do the local politicians, fanbase, etc., just not care?

Thoughts?

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#43 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

No.

First off, we'll need a new arena for that to happen and that's not happening. At least not anytime soon.

The proximity to DC is another reason.

I actually think it's more feasible we lose one of our teams than gain another.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

No.

First off, we'll need a new arena for that to happen and that's not happening. At least not anytime soon.

The proximity to DC is another reason.

I actually think it's more feasible we lose one of our teams than gain another.

Yes, losing the Os is a more likely scenario than gaining an NBA or NHL team

#45 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

Yes, losing the Os is a more likely scenario than gaining an NBA or NHL team

Sarcasm? Can't tell. :mrgreen:

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Sarcasm? Can't tell. :mrgreen:

Nope. I agree with you 100%. Btw it could be the Ravens too if the sport of football has a huge crash. I really do think it could be a dying sport.

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Seeing as we're never in the conversation regarding an expansion (or relocated) NBA and/or NHL team, I'm guessing there's little to no interest.

Is it just because of our proximity to Washington? Or as I said above, do the local politicians, fanbase, etc., just not care?

Thoughts?

I merged this with your previous thread, because what was said then is still true.

It's not so much the lack of interest (I think tickets would be sold). It's the question about corporate dollars to fill the boxes.

Also... Leonsis is that much more committed to the idea of Baltimore being part of his market. So there would be a fight there.

#48 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

Seeing as we're never in the conversation regarding an expansion (or relocated) NBA and/or NHL team, I'm guessing there's little to no interest.   Is it just because of our proximity to Washington? Or as I said above, do the local politicians, fanbase, etc., just not care?   Thoughts?
  I merged this with your previous thread, because what was said then is still true. It's not so much the lack of interest (I think tickets would be sold). It's the question about corporate dollars to fill the boxes. Also... Leonsis is that much more committed to the idea of Baltimore being part of his market. So there would be a fight there.
LOL Sorry about that. My logic appears to be circular. ;) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:13 AM

It would never get the support it needs

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

It would never get the support it needs

Never is a long time.

If there aren't enough corporate dollars to go around today, and if the tickets would be too expensive to sell the amount of tickets which would be needed today... that doesn't mean it will be true tomorrow.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

LOL Sorry about that. My logic appears to be circular. ;)

No apologies needed... appreciate you starting a thread, and adding discussion.

#52 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

I absolutely would.

I agree that it is very unlikely, even if they build a new arena.

#53 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

I don't like this merge, because I think this is a wider question than just whether Baltimore can support an NBA team, or even the need for a new arena.

The part about the realistic chances of losing teams is worth discussing, and goes at least parallel to the Rants discussion ongoing right now about the state of the city.

There's a good discussion to be had around the effect the Blast have on this, and how their move to Towson relates to both the arena and general city questions.

Then there's the growth of soccer in the country in general, and how if US Soccer ever gets their kit together and can build a real pro/rel pyramid in North America the chances of having a successful soccer club in the region goes way up.

• ChaosLex likes this
@DJ_McCann

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

Winning that Amazon HQ sweepstakes would help, but Baltimore would still have hurdles to overcome. I'd never say never, and I think the NBA could expand in the not-too-distant future. But right now Baltimore wouldn't even make the bottom of the list of candidates. And obviously no discussion can even begin until the arena issue is resolved, whether it's actually built or whether there is at least a plan with funding identified contingent on getting a team (like there was with M&T).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=