Photo

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you support an NBA franchise in Baltimore?

1. Yes (13 votes [86.67%])

Percentage of vote: 86.67%

2. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Probably not going to happen. At least not for sometime.

Thoughts!?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

I was too young to remember when the Bullets left and never developed a passion for them in Landover/DC. While not as unlikely as an NHL team in Baltimore, I still think the possibility is slim. I'm not sure the money (namely corporate money) exists in Baltimore to support an NBA team along with the Orioles and Ravens. But I'd still be pleased to see it and would root for the team....I might even purchase the NBA TV package so I could root them on from afar.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

A hypothetical NBA or NHL team would be supported by fans. The question in the immediate future would be if there would be enough corporate dollars to go around to pay for the boxes, a large portion of the season tickets, and the TV/Radio advertising.

Right now, the answer to that question would likely be no. That does not mean that will always be the case though, and that is why when you build a new arena; you make sure it would have the requisite size (seats and boxes) to house an NBA or NHL team at some point.

EDIT: Check out our 'Other' section for discussions on a New Baltimore Arena, and a Soccer Specific Stadium.
  • Icterus galbula likes this

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,617 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Even though I would rather have a NHL team, I still would support an NBA team.

The only Baltimore team I wouldn't loyally support would be a MLS team because I really don't care about soccer.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

Just like any other sport, I would follow and support an NBA franchise that would come to Baltimore.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Nope, just don't care enough about the NBA, and living 85 minutes from Baltimore now, I'm not adding more reasons to go to the city outside of the Ravens and O's. I'm a casual Wizards fan, and a big Caps fan, and that won't change, regardless of if teams in those leagues came to Baltimore.

P.S. I see Lex has figured out how to post polls here now... Watch out everyone! ;)

#7 Larry Sheets

Larry Sheets
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I would support an NBA team for certain. As Stoner said, A new arena would have to be built, with the capability of holding enough boxes to support a team.

#8 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

Same question as in the NHL thread. What is "support"?

Again, I live outside the States, so attending games and buying merchandise is highly unlikely. Rooting for the team to do well is a given, but I am very skeptical of their long-term prospects for staying in Baltimore, since we've never been able to hold onto even minor league teams for very long.

I don't really have another NBA team that I root for all that hard. I rooted for the T-wolves in the Pooh Richardson years, the Rockets in the Kenny Smith years (once Minnesota drafted Laettner), and the Wizards in the Jordan and Jamison years. Now I more root against teams than I do for anyone in particular.

As such, rooting for a Baltimore team would be easy, as long as they weren't stocked with dookies.

But is that enough to be considered "support"?

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

Even though I would rather have a NHL team, I still would support an NBA team.

The only Baltimore team I wouldn't loyally support would be a MLS team because I really don't care about soccer.

That's also the one I think the most likely one to come of a "major" sport.
@levineps

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

That's also the one I think the most likely one to come of a "major" sport.

That's because they are still building their sport. And the United practically have a foot out of the door and pointing up the Parkway.

#11 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Heck, I'd support a professional bocce ball team if they brought one to town.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Heck, I'd support a professional bocce ball team if they brought one to town.

http://baltimorebocce.com/
  • SammyBirdland and KWebz like this

#13 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

http://baltimorebocce.com/

Crap, are you going to hold me to that? :lol:
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#14 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Crap, are you going to hold me to that? :lol:

Haha no Baltimore Boyce is a social league so you're point is still valid (for now).

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

I draw my line somewhere between NLL indoor lacrosse and World Team Tennis.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

I know this is only a rumor, and it has been denied, but if Virginia Friggin' Beach can get an NBA team before Baltimore, then we have a problem.

http://espn.go.com/n...e-move-virginia

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Surprised Leonsis would be OK with this...I doubt it.

But this whole conversation is for naught until the city gets a new arena. Without it the conversation of an NBA teamin coning here is pointless.

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Surprised Leonsis would be OK with this...I doubt it.

But this whole conversation is for naught until the city gets a new arena. Without it the conversation of an NBA teamin coning here is pointless.

A team in Hampton Roads is not likely to siphon many actual ticket buyers away from the Wizards. But I just don't see the HR area as being viable in supporting a major pro-sports franchise. Maybe I'm being hasty, but based on past visits to that area it seemed like the whole local economy was centered on the military, with summer vacationers a couple months of the year mixed in. Which means that there's little corporate money there and the individuals are highly transient and not exactly awash in disposable income.

I found it interesting that Comcast is rumored to be a partner in this. One would presume that if a team did actually relocate there, they would certainly end up with their games on CSN. Perhaps that would open up an excellent opportunity to get the Wizards (and Caps) on MASN once their contract with CSN is up, which theoretically could help boost MASN's revenues. Of course whether that's of benefit to any of us as O's fans is highly questionable, since in addition to boosting revenues we'd also need PA to actually distribute some of those revenues to the Orioles for it to matter. But I digress.

#19 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

I know this is only a rumor, and it has been denied, but if Virginia Friggin' Beach can get an NBA team before Baltimore, then we have a problem.

http://espn.go.com/n...e-move-virginia

Well, technically Baltimore did have an NBA franchise before Virginia Beach ... it just didn't stick around. :|

#20 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I would support a team, as far as cheering for it. I've never been much of an NBA fan though (love the college game, never got into the pro game).

I can't imagine that an NHL team would find enough support in Baltimore, but I suspect an NBA team probably could do well enough. I'd support either one as far as cheering for them, and if it was NHL I'd go to a game occasionally. I'd also enjoy an MLS team for B'more.

I know they've been talking about building a new arena downtown (basically at the corner where the Sheraton is). Don't know if any progress has been made or not though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=