#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:54 PM

If I moved away from Baltimore, it would have to be to a place where there is little humidity in the summer, and where it rarely--if ever--gets cold enough to bring icy winds into account in the winter.

So, yeah, San Diego is generally my pick.

@DJ_McCann

#23 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:06 PM

I see a couple people putting Duck, NC. It's very beautiful there but isn't there only one major way to get in and out of the town? Regular bottle neck traffic is not something I'd want to deal with.

Pffffft.  Once you get to your beach house where does one have to go?  If you need some quick food or booze just walk or bike down the street to one of the many local shops.

And then go grocery shopping on Wednesday morning or something and avoid driving on Saturday/Sunday.  They're total beach days anyway.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

Yea, I can't see the Seattle thing either. I have never been there and I'm sure it's a beautiful city but all the rain? Ugh..that's awful.

#25 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

Seattle sees rain 155 days per year.  On the days that it rains, it rains for about 5.3 hours per day on average.    Would that bother you?

I couldn't deal with it.  Can you imagine having a dog in that climate?   Muddy footprints all the time.

Like the discussion in the other thread about Buffalo, you just get used to it, to the point where a lot of times you don't even notice. I have a dog, and it rarely rains hard enough that I wouldn't take him for a walk....and he doesn't give a shit either, as long as he gets out. Keep an old towel at the door there's no issue with muddy paws.

The one thing that does still seem to have an affect on me living here is being at a higher latitude the days are much shorter in the winter than in MD. I find it takes me a lot longer to get going when I have to wake up while it's still completely dark out, which is usually the case until about 7:30am in the winter months. I guess that's why we drink so much coffee here.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

As for the OP, I'll assume the place we already live doesn't count, so:

1) Seattle

2) SF

3) New Zealand

4) Australia

5) Chile

#27 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:35 PM

Seattle sees rain 155 days per year.  On the days that it rains, it rains for about 5.3 hours per day on average.    Would that bother you?

I don't believe it rains there an avg of 5.3 hours on 155 days per year...  there's some kind of error in there somewhere....

Atlanta gets more rain that Seattle does.... now, I know it rains harder in ATL, while in SEA it mists a lot.... but still....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:21 PM

Basically, I want to live where every day is like today in Baltimore.

@DJ_McCann

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

Yea, I can't see the Seattle thing either. I have never been there and I'm sure it's a beautiful city but all the rain? Ugh..that's awful.

I think people really overrate how much rain there is there. It's basically the same amount in inches as around here if I recall right. And you don't get the shitty winters or humidity, plus it asks the surrounding area is naturally gorgeous.

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:33 PM

I think people really overrate how much rain there is there. It's basically the same amount in inches as around here if I recall right. And you don't get the shitty winters or humidity, plus it asks the surrounding area is naturally gorgeous.

I think it's more about a perception of constant gray and dampness than the actual amount of rain. Seattle is just a short way from the Olympic Mountains, which are officially categorized as a rain forest.

@DJ_McCann

#31 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

There is a reason that Seattle usually has the highest suicide rate in the country.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

BTW, doing a little research, Mike is right.  Seattle is barely in the top 50 in rainfall amounts a year.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

There is a reason that Seattle usually has the highest suicide rate in the country.

You might want to do research on that one too.

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:43 PM

BTW, doing a little research, Mike is right.  Seattle is barely in the top 50 in rainfall amounts a year.

It's just way up there in rainy-looking days.... lots of mist, etc...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

It's much rainier (in rainfall amounts) on the PNW coast. But both Seattle and Portland are inland and have mountains that keep a lot of that moisture from reaching here. November and December are the months we get the heaviest rains. That's when the jet stream brings up moisture from the tropical Pacific. It's usually warmer, but wet. But for most of the year you just don't get much sunshine. And as I mentioned earlier, fewer daylight hours in the winter also has an effect on people.

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

You might want to do research on that one too.

Yeah, seriously. Most of the cities on this list get plenty of sunshine.

The 10 Most Suicidal Cities in America

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

http://socialcapital...icide-attempts/

#38 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:31 PM

San Diego has the best weather (temperature wise) so there, but apparently it's full of bros.  I think I'd be alright in Seattle though, seems like a cool town and I actually like clouds and rain so I'd be down with that.

#39 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

1) Bend, OR

2) Austin, TX

3) That place Joe Dirt was from in Idaho

4) Ranch in Montana

5) San Diego

#40 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

1) Bend, OR

2) Austin, TX

3) That place Joe Dirt was from in Idaho

4) Ranch in Montana

5) San Diego

That place Joe Dirt was from, in real life, is Ferndale, CA.  I can vouch for it not being on this list.

Bend is an interesting choice.  I went there for a weekend when I was 21.  I don't remember much about it.

@fuzydunlop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=