257 replies to this topic

#221 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:19 AM

Dez Wells hurt his thumb in practice, and will likely miss all of Summer League.

http://www.washingto...o-thumb-injury/

#222 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:44 PM

The ripple effect of the Kanter deal has begun in OKC. They traded Perry Jones to the Celtics today to save tax money....and will most likely trade Steve Novak, whose savings combined with that of Jones will knock the Thunder down into a lower tax tier.

#223 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 July 2015 - 04:41 PM

The Lowe Post pod with JJ Redick was worth a listen if you are still interested in the DJ saga. It's only a half hour.

#224 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

Mavs PGs Raymond Felton, Deron Williams & JJ Barea were all born on June 26, 1984. Most amazing fact ever.

@beginthebegin71

#225 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:57 AM

Mavs PGs Raymond Felton, Deron Williams & JJ Barea were all born on June 26, 1984. Most amazing fact ever.

Eh.

I like that Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on the same day.

July 4, 1826...exactly 50 years after the signing of the DOI.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#226 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Eh.

I like that Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died on the same day.

July 4, 1826...exactly 50 years after the signing of the DOI.

Ok but you're forgetting the best part of this story. (Pause for my US History nerdness). 

Adams last words (he and Jefferson were fierce rivals but respected each other) were "Jefferson lives". Which was ironic because he had not received word yet that just a few short hours before that Jefferson died. 

Love that fact...

Back to your regularly scheduled signings that piss off John Wall. 

#227 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Mark Cuban says expanding playoffs would 'keep things interesting'

Cuban detailed the proposal he made to fellow owners, explaining in a Cyber Dust post on Thursday that it could potentially affect the issue of teams tanking and increase interest in the regular season.

"With all the concern about getting a high draft pick taking precedent over winning games, the disparity in talent between conferences and the general challenge of team building, I asked the question," Cuban wrote. "Why do just 8 teams per conference make the playoffs? Why not 10?

Oh Mark, you are so, so wrong. I see what your motive is here....you are one of those teams that is going to likely be fighting for that 8th playoff seed in the West, especially since being spurned by Jordan, and you want a little bit of security blanket in the future. But you're on crack if you think that will prevent teams from tanking. In fact, that might only inspire the teams that want to tank to put an even worse team on the court....a race to the bottom, so to speak.

If the NBA wants to reduce tanking, then it has to change the lottery system....I see no other way. I wouldn't make it even odds for every team, but I would make it less heavily weighted towards the teams with worse records. And let the lottery decide the Top 5 picks instead of just the Top 3.....that way the worst team in the league would only be guaranteed at least the 6th overall pick. I'd also make all 30 teams lottery eligible. That way a team that is in or close to the 8th seed close to the trade deadline has less incentive to try and dump its roster and avoid making the playoffs.

#228 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

Mark Cuban says expanding playoffs would 'keep things interesting'

Oh Mark, you are so, so wrong. I see what your motive is here....you are one of those teams that is going to likely be fighting for that 8th playoff seed in the West, especially since being spurned by Jordan, and you want a little bit of security blanket in the future. But you're on crack if you think that will prevent teams from tanking. In fact, that might only inspire the teams that want to tank to put an even worse team on the court....a race to the bottom, so to speak.

If the NBA wants to reduce tanking, then it has to change the lottery system....I see no other way. I wouldn't make it even odds for every team, but I would make it less heavily weighted towards the teams with worse records. And let the lottery decide the Top 5 picks instead of just the Top 3.....that way the worst team in the league would only be guaranteed at least the 6th overall pick. I'd also make all 30 teams lottery eligible. That way a team that is in or close to the 8th seed close to the trade deadline has less incentive to try and dump its roster and avoid making the playoffs.

If the NBA wants to slow down tanking and pick up interest late in the season, they could institute Bill Simmons' idea for the tournament for the last playoff spot.

@DJ_McCann

#229 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

If the NBA wants to slow down tanking and pick up interest late in the season, they could institute Bill Simmons' idea for the tournament for the last playoff spot.

I remember reading about that. It sounded like a fun idea. I also remember thinking it'll never happen. Revamping the lottery seems more realistic.

#230 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

CBS Sports:

#231 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Sports Illustrated: Roundup: 2015 NBA free agent grades

http://www.si.com/nb...alysis-signings

#232 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:41 AM

CBS Sports: Undrafted free agent Alan Williams makes Summer League statement

http://www.cbssports...eague-statement

#233 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

Ty Lawson got traded to the Rockets for spare parts and a protected future 1st. If he can get his life straightened out, that's a nice trade for Houston.

#234 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Ty Lawson got traded to the Rockets for spare parts and a protected future 1st. If he can get his life straightened out, that's a nice trade for Houston.

A very nice trade. The West just keeps getting tougher. The Rockets are a legit title caliber team, but they're probably the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. 

#235 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

A very nice trade. The top teams in the West just keep getting tougher. The Rockets are a legit title caliber team, but they're probably the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. 

FTFY.

There's a pretty huge disparity between tiers of teams in the conference. I'd put GS, SA, OKC, LAC and HOU in the top tier of teams (in that order) that could challenge for a title. Then you have the 2nd tier of teams (DAL, NO, PHO, Utah) who will battle it out for the last two playoff seeds and a 1st Rd exit. Memphis is the one team kind of sits in between two groups....a sure playoff team, could maybe even get out of the 1st Rd with the right matchup, but unlikely to get a sniff of the title. Then you have the 3rd tier teams that you can book for the lottery right now.

#236 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Denver is going to be horrendous this year.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#237 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

Denver was already my likely choice to finish last in the West before the Lawson trade. That can probably be etched in stone now. But, why not? They weren't making the playoffs with him, and since the rules encourage tanking, might as well take advantage and hope you can draft a franchise guy next summer.

#238 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:15 PM

A very nice trade. The top teams in the West just keep getting tougher. The Rockets are a legit title caliber team, but they're probably the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. 

FTFY.

There's a pretty huge disparity between tiers of teams in the conference. I'd put GS, SA, OKC, LAC and HOU in the top tier of teams (in that order) that could challenge for a title. Then you have the 2nd tier of teams (DAL, NO, PHO, Utah) who will battle it out for the last two playoff seeds and a 1st Rd exit. Memphis is the one team kind of sits in between two groups....a sure playoff team, could maybe even get out of the 1st Rd with the right matchup, but unlikely to get a sniff of the title. Then you have the 3rd tier teams that you can book for the lottery right now.

I think I'd put Golden State and the Spurs in their own tier. Then OKC, LAC, HOU, and Memphis. I'd exclude Dallas from that next tier.

#239 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:38 PM

Also, of the likely lottery teams, I think Minnesota has the most promising young roster. While his overall summer league numbers didn't look good, KAT showed enough in flashes to look like he might be the real deal. It's not going to come together for them this season obviously, but I'd be pretty excited to watch the next several years play out if I were a Wolves fan. All they need is for Flip Saunders to stay out of his own way.

#240 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

CBS Sports: Summer League eye-openers: Mudiay shines, Julius Randle not so much

http://www.cbssports...dle-not-so-much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=