#201 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

Jesus. There's always a new unbelievable player who gets a max offer. And I like Kanter. I'm no economist, but I think this shows that the NBA cap is ludicrously low when max contracts get handed out like this.

Reggie Jackson was pretty crazy too.

The cap will soar the next two years so these contacts won't be max deals then. Still absurd.

#202 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

His raw stats numbers for the Thunder were better than I seemed to remember. 

It's an interesting decision, but an easy decision for Portland to make. They've got the space now...and Kanter is way younger than I remembered as well.

#203 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

It's an interesting decision, but an easy decision for Portland to make. They've got the space now...and Kanter is way younger than I remembered as well.

Does Portland have their pick next year? If so, they should be content to suck and get a good pick at this point. They aren't winning anything next year with Kanter and he's not a longterm piece I'd want for anything near that price. He's a defensive liability and his offense isn't that great.

#204 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

He was big down the stretch. I had wondered about Dallas making a play after the Jordan news.

#205 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

DWill wants release from Nets to join Dallas.  They may be able to put together a team just good enough to get waxed in the first round.

Good, the last thing I want is for them to end up with the 8 pick and have to send it to Boston.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#206 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

DWill wants release from Nets to join Dallas.  They may be able to put together a team just good enough to get waxed in the first round.

Good, the last thing I want is for them to end up with the 8 pick and have to send it to Boston.

DWill isn't that good anymore. He's an average starting PG. Maybe he can be revitalized, but I wouldn't count on it. I don't see the playoffs in their future and they shouldn't even bother trying at this point.

#207 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

DWill isn't good, but with Dirk and Wes and Zaza they at least have a core that can fight for an 8 seed.

I agree they're better of blowing it up but it doesn't appear Cuban will allow that.  I'd really like to see him own the Orioles.

@bopper33

#208 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

Does Portland have their pick next year? If so, they should be content to suck and get a good pick at this point. They aren't winning anything next year with Kanter and he's not a longterm piece I'd want for anything near that price. He's a defensive liability and his offense isn't that great.

Lottery protected....so, yes, they'll have their 1st Round pick next year (would have gone to Denver for the Afflalo trade otherwise).

I'm pretty confident the Kanter offer sheet is all about getting OKC to pay him more than they wanted. It's a risk for Portland, but a calculated one, given OKC's title window could potentially shut after this season so they may be more inclined to make that sort of move.

#209 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

I think that will probably be too much for OKC given their budget constants and Kanter's ability level.

#210 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

I think that will probably be too much for OKC given their budget constants and Kanter's ability level.

I think they match it, wanting all the talent/depth they can have for this season, and hope that it works out and in part convinces Durant to stay. I could be wrong though, and it could blow up in Portland's face.

#211 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:32 AM

CBS Sports: NBA Free Agency Roundtable: Five questions from one wild offseason

http://www.cbssports...crazy-offseason

#212 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 01:21 PM

Since I dont keep up with the NBA, I have a question. Why does it appear that a lot of owners are spending big money on mediocre players?

Futhermore, I guess players (like Love and Lebron did) opt out and get more money on a new deal. So in the couple of weeks that Love and Lebron were without a deal, why does no other team swoop in and offer Lebron a crazy 1 year, $40M deal? Or Love a huge deal. Anything to break up the big three. In a sport like basketball you can have Lebron and a bunch a scrubs and go to the finals because its not a team sport like the every other one where everyone plays an equal role.

I guess Lebron wants to win one for Cleveland, but money talks.

It baffles me that last year there was talks of Love going to Cleveland for weeks before it actually happend, and every team in the East just let Cleveland become another big three instead of trying to lure Love away.

It baffles be that Lebron is officially on the market for a couple weeks, and no one tries to sign the best player in the game away from the best team in the East.

But all these teams are giving oodles of money to mediocre players just so they can finish in fourth place. Its kind of lame.

Its really lame that they try to give it the exposure the NFL gets in their free agency frenzy, but there is no frenzy, and im sure most people dont give a rats ass about the Deandre Jordan situation which seems to be the headliner.
@BSLMikeRandall

#213 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Since I dont keep up with the NBA, I have a question. Why does it appear that a lot of owners are spending big money on mediocre players?

Futhermore, I guess players (like Love and Lebron did) opt out and get more money on a new deal. So in the couple of weeks that Love and Lebron were without a deal, why does no other team swoop in and offer Lebron a crazy 1 year, $40M deal? Or Love a huge deal. Anything to break up the big three. In a sport like basketball you can have Lebron and a bunch a scrubs and go to the finals because its not a team sport like the every other one where everyone plays an equal role.

It baffles me that last year there was talks of Love going to Cleveland for weeks before it actually happend, and every team in the East just let Cleveland become another big three instead of trying to lure Love away.

It baffles be that Lebron is officially on the market for a couple weeks, and no one tries to sign the best player in the game away from the best team in the East.

But all these teams are giving oodles of money to mediocre players just so they can finish in fourth place. Its kind of lame.

Its really lame that they try to give it the exposure the NFL gets in their free agency frenzy, but there is no frenzy, and im sure most people dont give a rats ass about the Deandre Jordan situation which seems to be the headliner.

Ehh you are wrong a lot of people care and there was a good spending spree the first couple of days. Aldridge was more of a headline then D. Jordan.

1.  Teams can't offer Lebron crazy money because of the salary cap and what you would call a Max offer.  Now the Max offer by the team losing the player can be higher to any other team in the league.  That is why in the Deandre Jordan situation Dallas gave him their max offer of 5 years 80 mill but The clips max gave him 5 yrs 120 mil.  Same with Cleveland and Lebron situation.

• Mike in STL likes this
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#214 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

Ehh you are wrong a lot of people care and there was a good spending spree the first couple of days. Aldridge was more of a headline then D. Jordan.

1. Teams can't offer Lebron crazy money because of the salary cap and what you would call a Max offer. Now the Max offer by the team losing the player can be higher to any other team in the league. That is why in the Deandre Jordan situation Dallas gave him their max offer of 5 years 80 mill but The clips max gave him 5 yrs 120 mil. Same with Cleveland and Lebron situation.

Ok. That makes sense. Only a players current team can offer him the most money. Is the salary cap adjusted for that? Id imagine if you didnt give any max contracts you would have a lot of cap space. I mean, the Clips are paying $8M extra per year when the Mavs wouldn't have to pay that $8M per.
@BSLMikeRandall

#215 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,631 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Ok. That makes sense. Only a players current team can offer him the most money. Is the salary cap adjusted for that? Id imagine if you didnt give any max contracts you would have a lot of cap space. I mean, the Clips are paying $8M extra per year when the Mavs wouldn't have to pay that $8M per.

It's a soft cap. So in lots of cases you can go over. The NBA CBA rules are a complete shit show. There are so many exceptions and other rules it makes your mind boggle. Basically teams can offer their own players the most money and players are limited by the amount they can pay each player. So you can't give LeBron the entire cap and team him up with 11 minimum salary guys (although that would be interesting to watch).
  • Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

#216 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

1.  Teams can't offer Lebron crazy money because of the salary cap and what you would call a Max offer.  Now the Max offer by the team losing the player can be higher to any other team in the league.  That is why in the Deandre Jordan situation Dallas gave him their max offer of 5 years 80 mill but The clips max gave him 5 yrs 120 mil.  Same with Cleveland and Lebron situation.

The difference in what the Mavs and Clips could offer Jordan wasn't that significant. It was like 2 million more a year and an extra year.

#217 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

OKC matched Portland's offer sheet on Enes Kanter for 4 years/$70 million (with a 4th year player option and trade kicker). I'd say this is a clear indication that there is a sense of urgency on the Thunder's part.

#218 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

OKC matched Portland's offer sheet on Enes Kanter for 4 years/$70 million (with a 4th year player option and trade kicker). I'd say this is a clear indication that there is a sense of urgency on the Thunder's part.

Well good call, but that is crazy.

Now they will have to pay a hefty tax bill for freaking Enes Kanter when they could have paid less in taxes to keep Harden when they let a relatively small amount of money cost them a part of their fantastic core.

#219 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

Well good call, but that is crazy.

Now they will have to pay a hefty tax bill for freaking Enes Kanter when they could have paid less in taxes to keep Harden when they let a relatively small amount of money cosy them a part of their fantastic core.

Yep, the near desperation is probably, at least in part, overcompensating for the Harden mistake....and if Kanter plays an important role in a title run this season, and it helps convince Durant to stay, it'll be worth every penny. (Provided they also find the money to pay Westbrook/Ibaka in 2017)

#220 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:57 PM

Well good call, but that is crazy. Now they will have to pay a hefty tax bill for freaking Enes Kanter when they could have paid less in taxes to keep Harden when they let a relatively small amount of money cosy them a part of their fantastic core.

Every decision they make goes back to Harden....and it really looks bad when they do things like this when you consider their stance on the Harden situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=