#41 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,590 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

Well.....I like the pick.  Guys got (profile) the ingredients you look for and the foundation to do more.

I like him because he does some things that are hard to teach.  

The answer on all draft picks is .... "we'll see".....but I like the opportunity for him to be more than an average contributor.

• BobPhelan likes this

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:06 AM

Baltimore Sun: Showalter offers impression of Stewart

http://www.baltimore...0717-story.html

#43 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

Awesome draft pick. Only a college guy with a sub .600 OPS in Aberdeen.  :roll:

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:30 AM

Awesome draft pick. Only a college guy with a sub .600 OPS in Aberdeen.  :roll:

Definitely an ugly first 48 ab's (.436 OPS)... and certainly he should crush that competition.... but can't really care about 48 ab's.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:24 AM

That is ugly but it's tough to get worked up over so few at bats.

That being said, he really should be a candidate to be in Bowie by next year at some point and starts like this don't help that.

#46 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, I  was just joking. He's gonna get on base and I think he'll hit for average. It's gonna be about the power. 

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

MASN: Amid high expectations, O's top draft pick DJ Stewart starts to settle in at Aberdeen

http://www.masnsport...t-aberdeen.html

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,421 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:19 AM

Gotta be pretty disappointed with Stewart's first foray into pro ball.  An advanced college bat shouldn't be struggling in the NYPL.

Even if you only look at since he's started hitting a bit in late July, he's still not really raking.  Hopefully he gets hot as the season draws to a close and can make a bigger impact next season.

#49 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,590 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:54 PM

Gotta be pretty disappointed with Stewart's first foray into pro ball.  An advanced college bat shouldn't be struggling in the NYPL.

Even if you only look at since he's started hitting a bit in late July, he's still not really raking.  Hopefully he gets hot as the season draws to a close and can make a bigger impact next season.

The only thing it means to mean is you have to be a little more patient with the development.

If he comes in raking, you could take a 'bridge to 2018' approach in the offseason.  If he's going to take an extra year, it gives you a 3+ versus a 2+ to play with.

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:04 AM

Still a big disappointment so far.

He should at least be in Delmarva by now.

#51 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

This thread went dead.

Looking at his stats, he looked pretty horrible. He struck out a ton, drew some walks, but seemed to generally fail to make solid contact on a regular basis.

Did anyone watch him play, and if so, what were their takeaways?

#52 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

This thread went dead.

Looking at his stats, he looked pretty horrible. He struck out a ton, drew some walks, but seemed to generally fail to make solid contact on a regular basis.

Did anyone watch him play, and if so, what were their takeaways?

http://www.baltimore...-league-update/

Baltimore Sports and Life: The O’s first selection in the draft last year was DJ Stewart. The lefty-swinging OF struggled in his first 238 professional ab’s with Aberdeen. Clearly more was expected from an advanced college bat. That said, one doesn’t want to read too much into that. Had he performed at Aberdeen, I think he likely would have begun ’16 at Frederick. Since he didn’t, I’m thinking that the O’s will have him at Delmarva to start. For me, he’s pretty easily one of the O’s Top 5 prospects. How do you view Stewart, and what will you be looking from him this year?

Faleris: We haven’t gotten to deep into our rankings at 2080, but I’d be surprised if he found his way into the top five with Givens still eligible and the enticing upside of Bundy and Harvey still hanging on by the fingernails.  His value is limited to his hit tool, and potentially a little bit of pop if he’s making enough hard contact.  Don’t forget he played in a left-handed hitters dream at (Mike Martin Field at) Dick Howser Stadium, and also had the benefit of being an advanced contact bat in a collegiate lineup (which is always going to inflate the OBP stats some). He’s a good bat. I don’t know that he’s a potentially great bat, and there’s little else in the profile that’s particularly exciting.

Mayo: Yes, Stewart is top five for sure. We have him at No. 3 currently, though we’ll re-rank the O’s Top 30 early in 2016. But just because he struggled during his summer debut, I wouldn’t rule out him making that jump to Frederick. That decision isn’t made solely on what happened in Aberdeen. If Stewart had a good instructs – the first time the team really will work on/tweak his swing, etc. – and it carries over to Spring Training, I could see him starting in the Carolina League. Stewart does have an advanced bat, though scouts were never thrilled with that deep crouch. If he can change that and still be comfortable, he might start tapping into his raw power more. Even if he starts in Delmarva, he won’t stay there long. But if he can start in Frederick and end the season in Bowie, he’d be ahead of the curve.

• Greg Pappas and FFH like this

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

If he doesn't show major improvement this year, its safe to say he's a bust IMO...unless he has some major injuries or something like that.

The Orioles need him to be good.

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

It is amazing how fast his reputation has dropped after being picked in June.

I was worried his crouch hitting approach was going to be exposed, it will be interesting to see if he rebounds and adjusts.

@mikeghg

#56 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Was pretty happy with the pick at the time. Disastrous short season debut. Still have hope he'll figure it out and be productive in his full season debut

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:22 PM

Was pretty happy with the pick at the time. Disastrous short season debut. Still have hope he'll figure it out and be productive in his full season debut

I was not as happy with it, only because I do not like taking a player who might need to change his approach to be successful.  That is a good later option, but not with your first pick.  All that said, it is real easy to get off to a poor start and to then press and make it worse.  

It is especially, easy to do that in a small sample size, that the short season leagues provide.

• FFH likes this
@mikeghg

#58 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

It is amazing how fast his reputation has dropped after being picked in June.

I was worried his crouch hitting approach was going to be exposed, it will be interesting to see if he rebounds and adjusts.

I know they were working on his stance during extended ST after his season ended.

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

I know they were working on his stance during extended ST after his season ended.

Yea, Tom Davis or one of the guys on his show mentioned that.  I hope it works, but that was my problem with taking him. there was a real good chance that he was going to need the adjustment.

All that said, the hand-eye coordination is there, so hopefully it  makes the change easier. 

@mikeghg

#60 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

Maybe that adjustment was the reason for his weak year. 

I just don't understand why they went for him when there were better potential bats on the board.

edit: reading the prospect press article, it mentioned that his pitch recognition is average.

Has he gotten worse? I thought that was one of his strengths coming out of school?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=