#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:46 PM

Well, since you've been watching baseball since then (and I fully believe you have), then you know that it was completely routine for P's then to "back guys off the plate"... which doesn't mean they hit them, but it does mean they threw to locations that are now considered provocations that aren't tolerated...  

Plus, with guys who lean over the plate wearing armor now, hitting them may or may not occur more, but when it does happen, people get upset, umps issue warnings, etc.   I'm not saying guys got hit more back then because I have no idea if they were or not... but I am saying throwing inside to "own the plate" used to be completely normal but is now something that's simply not permitted as it once was...

Just think about that for a sec... you know it's true...

You're making an assumption and presenting it as fact. Hell, even the pitchers from that era say they didn't throw inside as much as people remember.

@DJ_McCann

#23 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

You're making an assumption and presenting it as fact. Hell, even the pitchers from that era say they didn't throw inside as much as people remember.

Well, that's not the right question... the question should be, "Did you and your contemporaies throw inside more than P's do now?"

But without any data, we're not gonna settle this, we're just gonna have a stupid argument that isn't resolvable.  

Plus, the only way it's relevent to this thread is that there's no good reason to believe P's throw inside *more* now... which was the original unsupported assertion... and that one didn't come from me   ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#24 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

Well, since you've been watching baseball since then (and I fully believe you have), then you know that it was completely routine for P's then to "back guys off the plate"... which doesn't mean they hit them, but it does mean they threw to locations that are now considered provocations that aren't tolerated...  

Plus, with guys who lean over the plate wearing armor now, hitting them may or may not occur more, but when it does happen, people get upset, umps issue warnings, etc.   I'm not saying guys got hit more back then because I have no idea if they were or not... but I am saying throwing inside to "own the plate" used to be completely normal but is now something that's simply not permitted as it once was...

Just think about that for a sec... you know it's true...

I don't know it's true.   Pitcher's pitch inside now.   They pitched inside back then too.     20 years from now, you'll hear Chris Tillman broadcasting a game and talking about how pitcher's don't pitch inside like they used to in his day.     It's always that way.   Players from the 1920's thought players from the 1940's were wimps.    That's how life works and you know it.

#25 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

Use bats like the college and high school kids use now.   So it's not wood - whoopee.  The game is practically the same either way, and the bats don't go exploding into pieces.

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

The game is practically the same either way, and the bats don't go exploding into pieces.

Uh...no it's not.

@DJ_McCann

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,553 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:46 PM

If I am ever in a stadium with Giancarlo Stanton using an aluminum bat, I am excusing myself and heading to the next county.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

If I am ever in a stadium with Giancarlo Stanton using an aluminum bat, I am excusing myself and heading to the next county.

Seriously, that just brings foul balls back into play :P

@DJ_McCann

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,826 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

I imagine e switching to metal bats would also come along with designing new metal bats that act the same as wood in terms of how fast the ball comes off. We aren't talking about double walled slow pitch softball bats here.

#30 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:31 AM

Or they just use wood bats that sound right and don't break into shards....

All that's need is a simple rule... if they could ban spitballs, they can bats that are gonna kill somebody... it's not like there's a big mystery about how to make bats that don't explode...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=