29 replies to this topic

#1 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:42 PM

It was guarnateed to happen, it was just a matter of when...

http://sports.yahoo....25300--spt.html

I wonder if they'll do something about bat shards now...

I vote for fatter bat handles whether players like it or not...

http://sports.yahoo....-235642000.html

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:56 PM

I vote for fatter bat handles whether players like it or not...

williams.jpg

@DJ_McCann

#3 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:54 AM

Hey... Ted's mad in that photo because he just struck out... or because a reporter just asked him another stupid question...  

His bats had fat handles, and he liked it fine that way...

ted-williams-bat-grip.jpg

tedwilliams.jpg

635632913192988814-Williams-1B08251-.jpg

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:14 AM

The only thing I'd like to see would be an extension of the screens... go to about 45 feet up the 1st and 3rd base lines.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hey... Ted's mad in that photo because he just struck out... or because a reporter just asked him another stupid question...  

His bats had fat handles, and he liked it fine that way...

ted-williams-bat-grip.jpg

tedwilliams.jpg

635632913192988814-Williams-1B08251-.jpg

I know. I was making a joke based on the old legend about how finicky he was about the size of the bat handles :)

@DJ_McCann

#6 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

The only thing I'd like to see would be an extension of the screens... go to about 45 feet up the 1st and 3rd base lines.

The minor league stadium we go to a lot has the screens go all the way to the end of the dugouts.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#7 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

I'd rather they fix the dang bats...

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

Report: Players requested more protective netting, but were denied by owners

They apparently attempted to negotiate it into the last two CBAs, but the owners didn't want to risk upsetting fans who pay for those seats by giving up access to the players.

@DJ_McCann

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:29 PM

So ticket buyers are supposed to sit behind safety barriers so hitters can have too-skinny bat handles?

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:45 PM

It's a whole gamut of issues within the gameplay. Batters preferring thinner handles. Bats being made out of new materials (specifically maple over ash). Pitchers throwing harder. Possibly pitchers throwing inside on a more regular basis. I doubt any one makes the primary difference, but altogether they create a danger that has grown over the years.

@DJ_McCann

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

It's a whole gamut of issues within the gameplay. Batters preferring thinner handles. Bats being made out of new materials (specifically maple over ash). Pitchers throwing harder. Possibly pitchers throwing inside on a more regular basis. I doubt any one makes the primary difference, but altogether they create a danger that has grown over the years.

Pitchers throw inside *way* less than they used to...  ever since players got rich and hitters started charging the mound...

It's all about the bats... it's as not complicated as you're trying to make it... all they need to do is ban bats that turn into shards...

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

Is a bat barrel flying into the stands any less dangerous than a screaming line drive?

I feel like this isn't something that happens 1/100th of the time that a ball goes screaming into the seats. Maybe bats less likely to shatter won't solve the inherent risk assumed by sitting close to the field.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:56 PM

Pitchers throw inside *way* less than they used to...  ever since players got rich and hitters started charging the mound...

It's all about the bats... it's as not complicated as you're trying to make it... all they need to do is ban bats that turn into shards...

But the bats aren't turning into shards because they are breaking. They are using different materials in the bats that make them behave differently when they break.

Also, I've heard it both ways in terms of pitchers throwing inside, with the other way being because of there being less of a threat of retaliation (specifically in the AL).

@DJ_McCann

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Is a bat barrel flying into the stands any less dangerous than a screaming line drive?

I feel like this isn't something that happens 1/100th of the time that a ball goes screaming into the seats. Maybe bats less likely to shatter won't solve the inherent risk assumed by sitting close to the field.

The specific issue here isn't a flying object, it's (essentially) a thrown spear. If a baseball comes at you, there are other outcomes despite it striking you and causing severe injury. When it's a shard from a broken bat, the number of possibilities dwindles quickly.

@DJ_McCann

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

Balls and bats have been going into the stands for well over 125 years, and exactly 1 ever died from it.

What's truly dangerous is sharp wooden shards.

However, I expect the nanny-ization of society means they'll probably make fans sit behind safety barriers, in favor of the players having needlessly dangepous bats, while making it sound like it's for the benefit of everybody... then, after that, they'll make everybody in the whole place wear helmets.... and goggles...

#16 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

But the bats aren't turning into shards because they are breaking. They are using different materials in the bats that make them behave differently when they break.

That's not true... they are using different wood in some bats but not all... the danger is due to a combination of the kind of wood that some-but-not-all bats are made from *and* having too-skinny handles because hitters want all the mass down in the barrel... so, you need stricter standards about bat handles and choice of wood and quality of wood....

#17 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:08 PM

Also, I've heard it both ways in terms of pitchers throwing inside, with the other way being because of there being less of a threat of retaliation (specifically in the AL).

There is no doubt that P's throw inside way less.... it's not just retaliation and mound charging (even though mound-charging is when it started)... if a P throws inside too much, next thing you know the ump is issuing warnings and tossing guys out the game...

#18 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

There is no doubt that P's throw inside way less.... it's not just retaliation and mound charging (even though mound-charging is when it started)... if a P throws inside too much, next thing you know the ump is issuing warnings and tossing guys out the game...

Who says?   People who watched baseball in the 60's and 70's (when you couldn't watch nearly as much as you can today) like to think that pitcher's were men and batters were sheep back then.   I don't buy it.     BTW, I've been watching (and paying attention) since the late 60's/early 70's and I don't think what you say is really true.    I think there's a bit of a myth that some announcers and some fans just like to continue (there's a better word that you probably know).

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Yup. Shack is so full of crap and a hypocrite. If anyone had made the same opinionated statement as fact that he didn't like he'd throw a fit and say you just made that up.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

Who says?   People who watched baseball in the 60's and 70's (when you couldn't watch nearly as much as you can today) like to think that pitcher's were men and batters were sheep back then.   I don't buy it.     BTW, I've been watching (and paying attention) since the late 60's/early 70's and I don't think what you say is really true.    I think there's a bit of a myth that some announcers and some fans just like to continue (there's a better word that you probably know).

Well, since you've been watching baseball since then (and I fully believe you have), then you know that it was completely routine for P's then to "back guys off the plate"... which doesn't mean they hit them, but it does mean they threw to locations that are now considered provocations that aren't tolerated...  

Plus, with guys who lean over the plate wearing armor now, hitting them may or may not occur more, but when it does happen, people get upset, umps issue warnings, etc.   I'm not saying guys got hit more back then because I have no idea if they were or not... but I am saying throwing inside to "own the plate" used to be completely normal but is now something that's simply not permitted as it once was...

Just think about that for a sec... you know it's true...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=