54 replies to this topic

#21 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, but it's inherently annoyingly slow for reasons I forget, but they're good reasons.  

Personally, since I use a cheap VPN for that, and I don't want everything to be slowed down by that, I have an old laptop in the other room doing that stuff.  It just sits there with its lid shut, I don't have to touch it, I use Chrome Remote Desktop to get at it from the Chromebook.  Same thing for Plex server...

BTW, the "laptop in another room, via Chrome Remote Desktop" method is how I do other stuff that's best done on a PC... not many such things for me, but it happens every now and then...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#22 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:40 PM

Is there a torrent app of some kind that can be used on a Chromebook? I'm very intrigued but just afraid that I won't be able to do certain things.

If you decide to get one, be sure it's got 4GB RAM, not 2GB... (except for the new version of Pixel, those are the only choices...)

Also, the std SSD choices are 32GB vs 16GB... you can upgrade on some, but others are soldered.   32 seems fine to me.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#23 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:59 AM

Two more days...

• Russ likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#24 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Two more days...

... until the early adopters become QA guinea pigs...

#25 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:01 AM

Anyone install it yet?  I just did in my VM.  Very visually appealing.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:44 AM

It failed for me. I have auto update scheduled for 3AM but I have Linux Mint too.... so my theory is that when it went to the reboot phase of the upgrade, without me prompting to boot Windows rather than Mint, it got stuck. Ugh. I haven't been able to fix it and finally gave up for now this morning. There's a work around where you can clear the pending update files (Software Distribution) then go in through the CMD prompt and force through the update... but that has repeatedly failed for me. Oh well.

#27 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Gonna wait about a month or so for my w/8.1 laptop that I use mostly for pc gaming. Gonna wait many months for my W/7 desktop that I use for personal and business use.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#28 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:23 PM

I downloaded the installer and ran the upgrade manually using this:

http://www.microsoft...ad/windows10ISO

• You Play to Win the Game and Matt_P like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#29 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

Anyone install it yet? I just did in my VM. Very visually appealing.

I did on the laptop. I like it so far. Overall I probably still prefer 7, but the extra features make it worth the upgrade for me. I'll still probably be holding out a few weeks to upgrade my gaming machine though.

Not a bing fan though. Cortana should use Google, it's past time to give up on bing.

#30 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

Downloaded this morning.

1) Overall, much more aesthetically pleasing.

2) Start menu is very nice.

3)  I like the improved snap feature.  You snap one window and your remaining windows are displayed.  Then the selected one automatically fills the remaining screen area.  Minor addition, but helpful.

4) Edge has promise.  I like the drawing on the webpages.  It needs some plugins.  

#31 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

It won't take valid OEM codes to register it if you're installing it on a machine that used to have OEM Windows on it but doesn't any more (Mint)

I assume they'll get around to fixing that in a couple days...

#32 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

Windows 10 secretly uses your bandwidth to distribute upgrades to other people.

Here's how it works: Microsoft employs something called a torrent to speed up downloads. You might know torrenting as the main way people pirate movies and software, but the basic technology is legal and very useful.

With a torrent, instead of downloading update files from Microsoft's servers, you download pieces of the files from Microsoft and dozens of users like yourself. When you have all the pieces, they combine into the final file.

http://www.komando.c...ther-people/all

• SammyBirdland likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#33 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

Wow, can't believe they did that lol

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#34 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

It's not a secret, it's a setting... you can turn that off... 

You can choose to turn it off for everybody everywhere... or you can leave it on only for PC's on your local network...

#35 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Linux-y things in Win10:

http://itsfoss.com/w...r_linux_stories

#36 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:26 PM

It failed for me. I have auto update scheduled for 3AM but I have Linux Mint too.... so my theory is that when it went to the reboot phase of the upgrade, without me prompting to boot Windows rather than Mint, it got stuck. Ugh. I haven't been able to fix it and finally gave up for now this morning. There's a work around where you can clear the pending update files (Software Distribution) then go in through the CMD prompt and force through the update... but that has repeatedly failed for me. Oh well.

That's exactly why I change grub to have Win first even though I'd rather have Mint first...

#37 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

It's not a secret, it's a setting... you can turn that off... 

You can choose to turn it off for everybody everywhere... or you can leave it on only for PC's on your local network...

Enabled by default is pretty sneaky.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#38 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:08 AM

Enabled by default is pretty sneaky.

Yes, it is... somebody's gonna sue them about that... then it will be off by default...

#39 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yes, it is... somebody's gonna sue them about that... then it will be off by default...

As for the feature itself, I like it, especially the option to limit it to your own network.   The biggest downside I can think of is how long all this install media for the updates hangs around.   After a few years you could end up with wasted GB of data, which would stink, especially on an SSD.

• Mark Carver likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:29 AM

As for the feature itself, I like it, especially the option to limit it to your own network.   The biggest downside I can think of is how long all this install media for the updates hangs around.   After a few years you could end up with wasted GB of data, which would stink, especially on an SSD.

I assume Disk Cleanup will still let you lose it... but most folks don't know Disk Cleanup is there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=