#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

I got it fully installed this weekend... I definitely like it. Seems to be very quick and obviously aesthetically pleasing. Seems to have combined a lot of great Windows 7 stuff with Windows 8 stuff... rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, which is what Windows 8 kind of did.

Definitely had some initial bugs. Of all the drivers to experience issues with the upgrade, of course it has to be the WiFi adapter. But once I got through that it was mostly OK. For a while there, when the PC booted, it would go to a blank screen rather than the log-in screen. Oddly enough, when I would go to power off my computer, the screen would somehow magically appear. It's not been doing that the past couple days though, so hopefully whatever that was, we're out of the weeds. Super annoying, and weird.

#42 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

I got it fully installed this weekend... I definitely like it. Seems to be very quick and obviously aesthetically pleasing. Seems to have combined a lot of great Windows 7 stuff with Windows 8 stuff... rather than throw the baby out with the bath water, which is what Windows 8 kind of did.

I still can't believe they gave the world Win 8... it was such a bad design, as if they took 2 completely different things just glopped them together, and then did tweaks to force people to use the new lousy part...

Any competent Human Factors person would have told them to not release it... but they did anyway... so, either they don't have any decent Human Factors people or else they have them and just ignored them...

• SammyBirdland likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#43 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

MS has an issue with a recent update to W10. Machines are crashing. For those that installed W10, I hope this is not affecting you.

A Windows 10 update that arrived over the weekend is causing endless reboots on some users' computers. Unfortunately, thanks to Microsoft's new way of handling updates, it's almost impossible to avoid and very hard to fix.

http://www.komando.c...campaign=buffer

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#44 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

Windows 10: Microsoft reveals new look for Start menu in Anniversary Update

xlx9uicco0csbk.jpg

http://www.zdnet.com...versary-update/

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

Meh.

#46 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:29 AM

I never look at it anyway.... so, whatever they wanna do with it is fine by me...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,925 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

I wish they'd fix their damn drivers rather than keep worrying about aesthetics. I built a gaming PC with a Geforce 980 TI card and i7 4700k skylake processor and 32 GB Ram, and the video driver issues I've had with Windows 10 has been insane. I have to clean the drivers and re-install once a month. Obnoxious.

#48 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:02 AM

I wish they'd fix their damn drivers rather than keep worrying about aesthetics. I built a gaming PC with a Geforce 980 TI card and i7 4700k skylake processor and 32 GB Ram, and the video driver issues I've had with Windows 10 has been insane. I have to clean the drivers and re-install once a month. Obnoxious.

And reason #4,357 of why I have yet to upgrade to W10. Gonna wait as long as possible for them to get the bugs out of it.

#49 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

Goodbye Windows Paint and others with the next Windows 10 update. See list of others here...

https://latesthackin...0s-next-update/

#50 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

An Internet revolt just saved Microsoft Paint

https://www.washingt...m=.1a368287bc18

#51 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,289 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

An Internet revolt just saved Microsoft Paint

https://www.washingt...m=.1a368287bc18

Good.

#52 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

Welp, finally upgraded to W10 on my main computer. My W7 needed to be re-installed and well, I took the plunge. Only a few days old and its lights out compared to my laptop (used for gaming only!) that has the crappy W8.1 on it. Anyway tallyho!

• JeremyStrain likes this

#53 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,999 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

Welp, finally upgraded to W10 on my main computer. My W7 needed to be re-installed and well, I took the plunge. Only a few days old and its lights out compared to my laptop (used for gaming only!) that has the crappy W8.1 on it. Anyway tallyho!

How old are you and what games do you play?   

This is not snark, am genuinely curious... I got a PS3 in part to find out what all the gaming stuff is about... bought a bunch of well-regarded games... and almost none of them grabbed me at all...

#54 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,115 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

How old are you and what games do you play?

This is not snark, am genuinely curious... I got a PS3 in part to find out what all the gaming stuff is about... bought a bunch of well-regarded games... and almost none of them grabbed me at all...

senior-japanese-man-losing-playing-video

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#55 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:37 AM

Microsoft at it again with the October 2018 update for W10. And as per article, which occur with.

It’s not clear why Microsoft thinks it’s a good idea to include these irritating prompts, as all they’re likely to do is anger Windows 10 users rather than convince them to switch to Edge.

Microsoft to ‘warn’ Windows 10 users not to install Chrome or Firefox

https://www.theverge...firefox-warning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=