54 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

Well boys and girls another version of Windows is almost upon us. With a release date of July 29th, Microsoft announced (as per IGN News) their pricing of it. Most users that already have Windows 7/8.1 and want it, will get it for FREE with the 1 year free upgrade.

My laptop that I use for PC gaming and came with W8 (which I HATE) will probably go to W10 but my main computer that has W7 will not. At least for the forcible future. A wait and see attitude or this upgrade.

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#2 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:09 AM

From what I've seen, it looks like a very nice improvement over 8.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#3 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

I'm looking forward. I hate Windows 8.

Am perfectly willing to let everyone else do the bug testing though.

• Mark Carver likes this

#4 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

In my experience with being an early adopter of new Microsoft releases, it's not so much the unintentional bugs that you have to suffer through, but the horrible intentional decisions (design, etc).

• Matt_P likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

I love my MacBook Pro more every day.

• SammyBirdland likes this

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

fxihbja.jpg

• BSLChrisStoner and BSLMikeLowe like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

b6230b0c3ff0e858064afc3a95afeddf.jpg
  • BSLChrisStoner and SammyBirdland like this

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:09 PM

For 95% of people a decent Chromebook is the best thing.... it's a PC without all the bullshit...

• Russ likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

For 95% of people a decent Chromebook is the best thing.... it's a PC without all the bullshit...

As a heavy user of Adobe's Creative Suite for work, count me among the 5%. And even though Windows PCs have caught up some over the years in that regard, for the money (and they do cost a lot) a Mac is well worth it.

#10 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

As a heavy user of Adobe's Creative Suite for work, count me among the 5%. And even though Windows PCs have caught up some over the years in that regard, for the money (and they do cost a lot) a Mac is well worth it.

5% of everybody is a lot of people... but for most folks, a Chromebook is better... the only PITA is the google-print thing which is both stupid and fascist... but other than that... and, as fascist software goes, no tech company is even in the same area code as apple...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#11 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

Agreed. If you're not an artist, programmer, or gamer, a Chromebook is great.

#12 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

b6230b0c3ff0e858064afc3a95afeddf.jpg

You sprang for the 15" too, I see.    So worth it.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

I've got a couple i7's... plus a 1st-gen Pixel... but my everyday couch laptop is an Acer 15 Chromebook... 15" 1080 screen, speakers in the right place, and it's $300 bucks... if only the kb was backlit... I got the educ. black model because the white one would look like crap after a couple months given the carbon-fibre-like texture...

Gonna stick an m.2 SSD in it for crouton ubuntu'ing... just a single multi-key press to alt between chromeOS and ubuntu... it works great now, it's probably nuts to upgrade the SSD but [insert usual excuses here]....

#14 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

I've got a couple i7's... plus a 1st-gen Pixel... but my everyday couch laptop is an Acer 15 Chromebook... 15" 1080 screen, speakers in the right place, and it's $300 bucks... if only the kb was backlit... I got the educ. black model because the white one would look like crap after a couple months given the carbon-fibre-like texture...

Gonna stick an m.2 SSD in it for crouton ubuntu'ing... just a single multi-key press to alt between chromeOS and ubuntu... it works great now, it's probably nuts to upgrade the SSD but [insert usual excuses here]....

You can put Ubuntu on there?

#15 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

You can put Ubuntu on there?

Sure.  Some people replace ChromeOS with ubuntu, but that seems crazy... to have both, you used to need a dual-boot thingee... but now you can have both sitting there in parallel...

1st you put it in Developer Mode, then put crouton in the "downloads" on the built-in SSD (which means it's nice to have 32gb, not just 16gb), then you do an Crtl-Alt-T to get to a terminal, then you install ubuntu with whatever options you want... I use Unity, I don't see why some folks hate it, I think it's better... plus, you wanna install a few other things... basics are here: http://lifehacker.co...s-ful-509039343

One good thing is that both ubuntu and chromeOS see whatever's in the chrome "downloads" dir... so, if you put files there, you can get at them from either OS... among other things, it means you don't have to put up with that google-print stuff...

#16 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, I have Ubuntu dual booted on one of my laptops. I never thought of putting it on the chromebook. I'll have to give that some thought.

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

You sprang for the 15" too, I see.    So worth it.

Oh yeah, didn't even give it a second thought. I'm running Premier and After Effects regularly, so the extra-everything in the 15" vs 13" was almost a necessity.

#18 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:27 PM

Yeah, I have Ubuntu dual booted on one of my laptops. I never thought of putting it on the chromebook. I'll have to give that some thought.

The thing I like about it is that you can flip back and forth instantly... no rebooting...

• Russ likes this

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

Is there a torrent app of some kind that can be used on a Chromebook? I'm very intrigued but just afraid that I won't be able to do certain things.

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

Is there a torrent app of some kind that can be used on a Chromebook? I'm very intrigued but just afraid that I won't be able to do certain things.

Yeah, but it's inherently annoyingly slow for reasons I forget, but they're good reasons.  

Personally, since I use a cheap VPN for that, and I don't want everything to be slowed down by that, I have an old laptop in the other room doing that stuff.  It just sits there with its lid shut, I don't have to touch it, I use Chrome Remote Desktop to get at it from the Chromebook.  Same thing for Plex server...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=