#101 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

I have heard enough of him on PTI and interviews to base it off of.

Now, it's been a while and maybe he has gotten better or he was just playing one of his schticks at this times.

Either way, for what I have heard, all he knows is Boston and not much else.

Well PTI isn't exactly the format for guys to show off their vast knowledge. And he's way more knowledeable than Kornheiser and Wilbon, but it may not shine through in that format.

And like Seth said, the last line couldn't be further from the truth.

#102 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, it's entertaining. Sal is a big part of the reason why too. Still, Simmons has some thoughts and makes some observations about football that are pretty bad.

On the plus side, I do appreciate the pop culture stuff he brings to the table. He has a way of making things fun despite not being overly knowledgeable.

Just curious, how many people on this board do you think are more knowleable than Simmons about the NFL?

#103 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

This is completely untrue. You should honestly give him a second chance if this is what you think. 

I have heard enough.

Look, I recognize he's really good for the NBA...but I don't really care that much about the NBA. I pay attention to a certain extent but I don't really care.

I recognize the contributions he has made....but I'm just not interested in hearing what he has to say about "my sports".

#104 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:43 PM

He's really good for the NFL. He's excellent for the NBA.

#105 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

Just curious, how many people on this board do you think are more knowleable than Simmons about the NFL?

I don't know. I know I found guessing the lines entertaining. I often read his end of the week picks. Also could be entertaining. Not really informative or showing much knowledge. If he tried to write a "real" NFL article it wouldnt be that good.

#106 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

I have heard enough.

Look, I recognize he's really good for the NBA...but I don't really care that much about the NBA. I pay attention to a certain extent but I don't really care.

I recognize the contributions he has made....but I'm just not interested in hearing what he has to say about "my sports".

Fair enough if you don't care for him, but the "He only knows Boston" is invalid. 

To each their own though. No biggie. 

@beginthebegin71

#107 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

Fair enough if you don't care for him, but the "He only knows Boston" is invalid. 

To each their own though. No biggie. 

SB doesn't mind if you're wrong... he just wants you to be aware, that's all...

• SBTarheel and DJ MC like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#108 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Because he is a Boston homer you guys should be ashamed of yourselves!

wire1.jpg

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#109 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

Deadspin had a good article up yesterday arguing that the best way to make the most of Bill Simmons' talents is by building a podcast network around him.

http://deadspin.com/...mons-1703224603

The mechanics of podcast listening—you have to seek out and actively subscribe—favor those, like Simmons, who are better at building devoted audiences than entertaining large fleeting ones. This means most B.S. Report listeners are frequent ones, and thus understand and appreciate the in-jokes and references. He books quality guests and lets them talk at length about interesting things, and while sometimes he forces them to nod along in fake agreement at some asinine theory, Simmons also asks good questions and makes them feel comfortable enough to open up and share stories they otherwise would not have. It works well.

@DJ_McCann

#110 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:30 PM

The reason I appreciate Simmons is that I respect what he developed with Grantland. He raised the bar of discussion, and gave voice to a lot of talented people. I assume he found and helped develop a lot of them as Managing Editor.

I'm hoping he goes out on his own.

#111 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

He gone.

Report: Bill Simmons Won't Be Appearing On Any ESPN Platforms

@DJ_McCann

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Not surprising. I'll really miss his podcasts and NBA writing. Hopefully it's not too long before he starts putting out some work for whomever.

#113 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:00 AM

Simmons’ brand was always clearer and sometimes crasser than most, the truth-to-power outsider who wrote from a fan’s perspective, a loquacious and opinionated everyman prone to hyper-referential and overly capitalized Ewing TheoriesLevels of LosingRetro Diaries, and movie-quote-themed listicles. At best, his lack of access—and, crucially, lack of deference owed from that access—made him a sort of ersatz Spartacus for a more cynical brand of sports fan, skeptical of establishment narratives and unafraid to splash around in the waters of conspiracy. For a relatively late example of this, see his 2013 column “Daring to Ask the PED Question,” a tormented and probing thought experiment that comes shockingly close to a deconstruction of sports fandom—and Sports Guydom—itself.  

http://www.slate.com...uld_happen.html

• mweb08 likes this
@DaKittenz

#114 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Based on what I've read, Simmons' podcasts should be able to bring in 4 or so million in revenue and it's not like it costs much to do them. And the Grantland network should be able to bring in much more because some of those other shows are quite popular.

It's just a matter of monetizing them properly.

Podcasts are probably where he is most valuable going forward. His writing is quite valuable too, though. He clearly can bring some value with his ability to manage a place like Grantland as well, but that place may have had too much expense beyond his salary. Then there's the 30 for 30 series.

He has not been much of a success on TV, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is successful with a TV project going forward. I do think the Grantland Basketball Hour is really good, but the ratings haven't been strong, even though there are some legit excuses for that.

I'm very curious where he signs, how much he gets paid, and what he'll be doing going forward.

#115 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

Bill Barnwell is the first Grantland person I've seen post something about this. He had some very nice words for Simmons on Twitter.

It's a weird format though and I'm not sure how to post it on here.

#116 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

I unsubscribed from The BS Report and Bill Don't Lie today. Sad.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#117 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

I unsubscribed from The BS Report and Bill Don't Lie today. Sad.

It's going to be really weird and not cool of ESPN if they actually continue the BS Report with someone else.

#118 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:22 AM

It's going to be really weird and not cool of ESPN if they actually continue the BS Report with someone else.

The Bondroff Seth report starts next week. Hope you'll listen. 

#dontiwish

@beginthebegin71

#119 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Deadspin: Chris Connelly Named Interim Editor-In-Chief Of Grantland

In terms of what Grantland is trying to be as a combination of sports and pop-culture writing and other content, I don't know if there was a better in-house choice, at least for the time being until ESPN can figure out where they want to take things.

@DJ_McCann

#120 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

Deadspin: Chris Connelly Named Interim Editor-In-Chief Of Grantland

In terms of what Grantland is trying to be as a combination of sports and pop-culture writing and other content, I don't know if there was a better in-house choice, at least for the time being until ESPN can figure out where they want to take things.

Wow. Terrific choice. 

Hope it's a full time gig. if he wants it, that is.

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=