• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

@RichSandomir: BIll SImmons to leave ESPN, according to ESPN president John Skipper. "We weren't going to get to the terms," said Skipper.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

Wow.

This is pretty huge.  Wonder if he joins another network or just does his own thing.  Also, what happens to Grantland and all their writers?  I assume that's ESPN property...

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

@RichSandomir: BIll SImmons to leave ESPN, according to ESPN president John Skipper. "We weren't going to get to the terms," said Skipper.

Good for him. He'd be a good fit on NESN. With the other people that feel Boston Is the center of the universe.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

Good for him. He'd be a good fit on NESN. With the other people that feel Boston Is the center of the universe.

Oh stop. i think it's great that he makes no apologies for it. Shit, If i were in his position, I'd be bragging all the time about the O's and Ravens. 

I wonder what happens with "30 for 30", that's his baby. Very interesting moving forward. 

ESPN doesn't need him, but does he need ESPN?

@beginthebegin71

#5 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

http://deadspin.com/...spn-1703082844#

http://www.nytimes.c...rting-ways.html

Grantland, the sports and entertainment site run by Simmons for ESPN, will be unaffected by his departure, Skipper said.

“It long ago went from being a Bill Simmons site to one that can stand on its own,” Skipper said.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:58 AM

Wow... Seth just said... "Ravens". I wasn't sure he knew they existed. ;)

• SBTarheel likes this

#7 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:11 AM

I bet he goes independent. He's a guy who will try and be his own boss.

I am curious which Grantland writers will join him. No clue how their contracts work but I imagine there are some people there who would be loyal to him over Grantland or ESPN.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

I bet he goes independent. He's a guy who will try and be his own boss.

I am curious which Grantland writers will join him. No clue how their contracts work but I imagine there are some people there who would be loyal to him over Grantland or ESPN.

Sure.  He hired all of them pretty much.

This will be very interesting.

Cowherd talking about it right now FYI.

@bopper33

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:47 AM

I've had a love/hate relationship with Bill Simmons for almost 15 years.  I first discovered his "Sports Guy" column in college and I was immediately intrigued.  It was unlike anything I had ever read before; the mix of sports, humor, insane pop culture references (his early "Karate Kid" column stands out as a notable example of this).  He was truly one of the first people to kickstart the internet era of sports writing.  He was a trailblazer in that regard.  The fact that he was easily the biggest NBA fan to be found on the internet (which was still growing back in the early 2000s) certainly helped.  He also had a unique way of pulling on the heart strings.  I'll never forget his pieces on the aftermath of 9/11 and Len Bias (the closing lines of both of those columns still give me goosebumps).

It wasn't long after I started reading his columns that I discovered he was a fan of pretty much every team I hate (specifically the Red Sox and Celtics at the time -- my hatred of the Patriots has grown over the years) and was often extremely reactionary and emotional towards his teams.  He reminded me of me in that regard. Thus, despite not enjoying reading about how great the '86 Celtics were, I still read. I became a fan.

Today it was announced that Simmons is moving on from ESPN.  An end of an era and particularly bittersweet for someone like me who has always sort of considered ESPN and Simmons one entity, going hand in hand.  Like peanut butter and jelly or Shaq and Kobe.  Everyone sorta saw this coming.  ESPN has never been afraid to let even its greatest names go and, since money talks, it was clear that Simmons was going to go.  His brand had just become too big.  Wherever he goes, I know I'll continue to read him.  I also believe that wherever he goes he will be successful.  Best of luck to one of my favorite sports writers.  I've never read a guy who could make you laugh, make you be on the verge of tears and make you want to throw your computer through a wall all in one week's worth of columns.  But isn't that what you want from your sports writers?

• mweb08 and DuffMan like this

@bopper33

#10 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:56 AM

Good for Simmons. I hope he's able to start a Grantland type site, but without the restrictions ESPN placed on him. In some ways it's unfair that his creations (Grantland, 30 for 30) will stay with reason ESPN, which suggests he really wants to get out because I'm sure it's tough for him to leave those behind. As has been said, it will be interesting to see who goes with him.

#11 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Ha. 

Well, like Simmons with the Bruins (never really speaks of them, but was genuienly  happy when they won)

That's what I'm like with the Ravens..I root for them when I watch, but don't really care that much. And was genuinely happy when they won their Super Bowls. 

@beginthebegin71

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

It will be interesting to see what he has to say about ESPN once he's free.

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:22 PM

I'm gonna bet a lot of this has to do with creative control.

@bopper33

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

Deadspin is floating a rumor that Simmons found out about this via Twitter...

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

I like the work Simmons is capable of, and I really like what he did with Grantland.

Some of his pouting on set with the NBA telecasts rubbed me wrong.

I think all of the other networks (and larger websites) will throw money at him, but yeah... agree with others, he should start his own site.

He will bring talent from Grantland. Others will join. It will be quality, and interesting. He needs to maintain total creative control based on his personality.

Audience wise it will be a barely noticeable blip for ESPN, but they will miss some of his quality (and those that will be leaving with him).

He could even wind-up doing some TV work with Turner, especially since Barkley is getting closer to hanging it up.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:33 PM

He's always been a closeted Ravens fan.

@levineps

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

We've already had this discussion, but in terms of ESPN not losing much of an audience, well I agree to an extent because they're such a juggernaut, but his loss will be more of a hit than just about anyone they have IMO.

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

It appears that this was more of a firing than a mutual decision as Deadspin reports. However, that may be because it became clear to them that they wouldn't be able to agree to terms with Simmons. 

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 04:25 PM

Richard Deitsch with a solid, informative column.

What’s next? That’s the obvious question. One longtime agent who has worked with various networks placed Simmons's potential earnings at $7-10 million per year. “Look for him owning his dot-com rights and all the content that comes with it including podcasts,” said the agent. “And a TV play such as Turner, Fox, HBO or Showtime.”

#20 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 08 May 2015 - 05:30 PM

I just hope he and Jalen Rose can remain BFFs. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=