#22 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Some highlights here for anyone interested. It's a shame it wasn't an up and comer who put Pacquiao out, could have been good for boxing.

http://espn.go.com/b... ... -6th-round

@AdamWolff

#23 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Anybody have any interest in watching Mayweather tonight? I'm not a big boxing guy, but I'll find it online and watch. Will be interesting to see if the year long layoff + jail time have any effect on him.

@AdamWolff

#24 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Anybody have any interest in watching Mayweather tonight? I'm not a big boxing guy, but I'll find it online and watch. Will be interesting to see if the year long layoff + jail time have any effect on him.

I'm watching...can't help myself. But I doubt it will be much of a fight. Mayweather is easily the best boxer of my lifetime but his choice of opponents is a joke. One day, long from now we'll look back at his career and it'll show that he beat some pretty big names. Maybe by then we'll have forgotten that he waited until all of them were clearly done before allowing them to share the ring with him.

I'd love to see him lose tonight but it would be a monumental upset. The last time Mayweather fought a guy in his prime was Diego Corrales, and I loved Chico but he clearly wasn't Mayweather's caliber.

• Adam Wolff likes this
@Thyrl

#25 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Not really. The only fight that would actually get me to watch boxing is Pacquiao/Mayweather and that's never going to happen. Nothing against boxing. If its on my tv for some reason I'll watch it but there's nothing that makes me look for it.

#26 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

I could see the fight being a little bit closer than people think. Floyd is so damn naturally talented that he can afford some of this, but there's so much extra going on with him..promoting his 'brand', as he words it. I'll just be interested to see if all that extra stuff ever catches up with him.

Personally I'd go nuts if he got ko'd.

@AdamWolff

#27 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

Regrettably, I ended up watching it. Considering how bad boxing is these days, it was actually a good fight. But I swear, boxing is the most limp dick crap sport you can possibly watch. It's almost always not anything close to epic. How many times do you hear the crowd booing throughout a bout? Happens all the time.

That said, Mayweather was insanely good. 

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

Regrettably, I ended up watching it. Considering how bad boxing is these days, it was actually a good fight. But I swear, boxing is the most limp dick crap sport you can possibly watch. It's almost always not anything close to epic. How many times do you hear the crowd booing throughout a bout? Happens all the time.

That said, Mayweather was insanely good. 

His ability to avoid a punch thrown from a foot away by a man who punches for a living is absurd.

@AdamWolff

#29 sportsgenius

sportsgenius
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

How many of you are Boxing fans? Amateur or Pro?

There is this kid out of Baltimore named Gervonta "Tank" Davis whom boxing greats are buzzing about anyone heard of him?

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

I can't remember the good boxing match I've watched, so I'm just really not a fan anymore. There are so many issues with the sport, and the UFC actually produces exciting results. I'm sure that at a grass roots/coming up level, it would still be entertaining and exciting... but boxing at the highest level is so broken it's not even funny... not to mention, not even remotely entertaining, unfortunately.

That said, I'll have to look up some stuff on this kid, it's always exciting to follow a local story.

Welcome to the board, BTW. You can introduce yourself here, if you're interested.

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

It would appear as though Dana White/ the UFC have made boxing fairly irrelevant. I'm old enough to just remember Tyson at the end of his career (the Holyfield fight), but boxing doesn't seem to garner anywhere near the same excitement as it did back then.

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Not that long ago, boxing and horse racing were huge...and now, they are irrelevant.

Its a shame what the boxing people have done to the sport.  Its never been my thing but I can see the excitement behind it, especially in a big time match.

People want the violence...Look at UFC..even pro wrestling.  They love this stuff.

No reason boxing can't be relevant again...just needs to be handled way better.

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Not that long ago, boxing and horse racing were huge...and now, they are irrelevant.

Its a shame what the boxing people have done to the sport.  Its never been my thing but I can see the excitement behind it, especially in a big time match.

People want the violence...Look at UFC..even pro wrestling.  They love this stuff.

No reason boxing can't be relevant again...just needs to be handled way better.

Definitely - that's why I've just thrown my arms up and said I'm done with it a few years ago, it just maddened me to no end that they can't fix something that's so broken, and would be so badass if they did get it right.

Every "big fight" they've had over the last decade has been an epic disappointment for the most part, too, IMHO. Of course there's the occasional upset or knock out, but most of the time it's just the anti-UFC (from an action/excitement standpoint).

Like I said in my earlier post, I'm sure if I had access to amateur boxing on more of a grass roots level, it's still an exciting sport at it's core.

#34 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

The fact that they couldn't make a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight when it would've been epic says it all. They're missing the Forrest for the trees (or something like that). A kid coming up, what's he gonna train for? Boxing or MMA?

#35 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

The way boxing is, is just absurd. You have the 2 best fighters in a weight class and it's up to them to negotiate a fight? That's ridiculous. The UFC does things the right way. Boxing will never die, but it's irrelevant. I'll still watch the big fights, but I'd never shell out money for a fight. Mayweather is as talented/charismatic/polarizing as any figure in boxing history and even he can't drum up enough interest in the sport. It's not in a good place.

• BobPhelan likes this

@AdamWolff

#36 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Passed away at 44..

@beginthebegin71

#37 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Rest easy Tommy Gunn

rocky_v_i.jpg

rocky-5.jpg

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:14 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...dies/index.html

Often overlooked because he fought in an era of great heavyweights.

#39 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

As mentioned on PTI. Larry Holmes vs Ken Norton - Round 15

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#40 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

15 year old Mike Tyson:

80HAq17.gif

Who would have thought he now he solves crime with an asian, a ghost, and a pidgeon.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=