300 replies to this topic

#281 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I dont care how old you are. I dont care about coaching changes. When you talk the crap Haskins talked and back out its weak. 

• 1970 likes this

#282 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,537 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Also, fuck Ohio State. Fucking pricks.

#283 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:56 PM

2016 QB Devin Modster, who the Terps recently offered, has committed to UCLA.

It looks like Durkin is going after 2016 Bishop McNamara QB/ATH Ramar Williams (3-star Dual-Threat QB/ATH). He's underrated at 3-stars, and has broken plenty of records in high school. His arm needs improvement, but he'd certainly be a nice pickup. Very doubtful he'd start in 2016, though.

Here's his highlight tape: http://www.hudl.com/...ts/316319386/v2

@BSLZackKiesel

#284 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

I dont care how old you are. I dont care about coaching changes. When you talk the crap Haskins talked and back out its weak. 

Well, you have every right to be mad at a teenager who says too much and then changes his mind.   You can also get mad at the weather.   Good luck.

Also, fuck Ohio State. Fucking pricks.

OhowIhateohio State....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#285 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:01 PM

I have mixed feelings.

I think he's 17/18 years old, and kids have the right to change their mind.

I think he absolutely has the right to go anywhere he wants, and doesn't it owe it to anyone to do anything but what's right for him.

I totally disagree with you that he wouldn't still be going to MD if Locks had stayed with the program.

I think the program had to do what was right for the program as a whole (moving past Edsall), and if this is the ramification... okay.

It seems like he had very little communication with Durkin and his staff. My understanding is they met/spoke once briefly, and further attempts were rebuffed.

While I think the coaching change (and MD did what they could to try and retain Locks), it's that much more understandable that a teen would change his mind.... but yes, considering his part in the DVM to MD 'movement'... it's disappointing. I do think he owed it to MD to listen and speak with the new coaches regularly. To learn more about them... and then if he still left, he would leave having had trying to establish that bond.... but maybe that's too much to ask.

However you slice it... this just sucks for MD.  To lose both of them, and lose them to Ohio State...  horrible blow.

But... ultimately, he's a kid, and he's doing what he thinks is best for him.  Okay. Understood.

I like where MD is heading...  today sucks, let's make tomorrow better.

#286 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

It seems like he had very little communication with Durkin and his staff. My understanding is they met/spoke once briefly, and further attempts were rebuffed.

Rebuffed by which side?

Everything else about him having the right to change his mind I completely get. But, if Haskins didn't even try to listen to what the new coaches were saying after all of his talk, that's truly upsetting and much worse than him simply changing his mind.

• 1970 likes this
@DJ_McCann

#287 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hope he has fun backing up JT Barrett for two more years!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#288 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hope he has fun backing up JT Barrett for two more years!

Yes... he's one guy in a stable of guys now...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#289 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

Rebuffed by which side?

Everything else about him having the right to change his mind I completely get. But, if Haskins didn't even try to listen to what the new coaches were saying after all of his talk, that's truly upsetting and much worse than him simply changing his mind.

My understanding is the new staff made numerous attempts at contact, and father and son were not receptive.

#290 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

No problem with him changing his mind, and hope he plays well against everyone but MD and hopefully makes it as a pro.

Having said that, I can do without the statement that rings hollow. He's always wanted to go to OSU but yet committed to MD. Throw the BS flag on that one. I have another problem with his statement but I'll leave that one alone.

#291 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

I'll give credit to Haskins for one thing. Looks like he'll wear the same number as Condredge Holloway - loved him at OSU.

#292 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

It's not the changing his mind that I think he did wrong, it was all the shit he talked about #StatePride #DMV2UMD #TheMovement, and anointing himself the leader of all these other recruits he was going to bring with him. If it was all about playing for Locksley (which I definitely believe it was) then just come out and say so, and once Locksley was gone it would be perfectly understandable for him to renege.

I'd say Urban Meyer might want to have a little talk with him once he gets to campus next summer about leadership and his Twitter use, but knowing what a worthless troll Meyer is I'm sure he loved it all. Whatever, it's definitely a setback but in the long run I think MD will be better off without him. Go find someone who is ready to be a leader to be the next QB.

• DJ MC and 1970 like this

#293 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:32 PM

And Jones is a much bigger loss than Haskins, IMO. The Terps now have nothing on that side of the ball as far as commitments, and that's on top of heavy losses due to graduation and early departures.

#294 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

So wait, you wanted Haskins to publicly announce last year that he was coming to Maryland only to be with Mike Locksley? And if Locksley wasnt here he wouldn't be coming? A year ago when Edsall was the head coach?

#295 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:17 PM

So wait, you wanted Haskins to publicly announce last year that he was coming to Maryland only to be with Mike Locksley? And if Locksley wasnt here he wouldn't be coming? A year ago when Edsall was the head coach?

Wouldn't have been to unreasonable for him to decommit when Edsall was fired

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#296 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

It would be an honest approach, and refreshing. And he doesn't have to say it like you worded it for it to be obvious. At least then MD would know where they stand, and the new staff wouldn't have had to wait around for the past several weeks before offering other QBs.

#297 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

I just want to add to what I said earlier that I don't think Haskins owes anyone anything on the subject, be it an explanation or an apology or even some kind of warning. He did exactly what he should have done under the circumstances: he continued to weigh his options, and when those options changed, he went back and looked again. It's the loyalty talk before, and the apparent lack of contact after, that disturb me. I do hope he understands that, though, and uses this as a learning opportunity that can help him in the future.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@DJ_McCann

#298 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

I just want to add to what I said earlier that I don't think Haskins owes anyone anything on the subject, be it an explanation or an apology or even some kind of warning. He did exactly what he should have done under the circumstances: he continued to weigh his options, and when those options changed, he went back and looked again. It's the loyalty talk before, and the apparent lack of contact after, that disturb me. I do hope he understands that, though, and uses this as a learning opportunity that can help him in the future.

Exactly. And I'll just add that while I think he showed very poor judgement, it doesn't mean he's a bad person and won't be successful. I wish him no ill will.....though I sure as hell won't be rooting for him either.

#299 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:24 PM

Testudo Times: After Dwayne Haskins flip, Maryland offers pro-style Louisiana QB Chase Fourcade

If my count is correct, that's 4 offers out there to QBs (not counting Modster, who committed to UCLA right after Haskins left). You pretty much have to get at least 1 scholarship QB this year, just for balance on the roster. Looks like they're really grasping with this kid though, as he is currently committed to Nicholls State.

#300 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,647 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

I am not going to crap on a 18 year old kid.  He bought into the DMV movement with the old staff.  Ohio State came calling.  Game over.  I think he handled things very poorly, but it is his right to go where he wants.  Ohio State has a chance to compete for championships and Maryland probably not.  

Could be a real ugly year for Maryland but let's be patient  with Durkin.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=