#261 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

Haskins made a surprise visit to College Park for the basketball game this afternoon.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#262 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

At least the Terps will have beaten Ohio State at something.

#263 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

Keandre Jones has apparently flipped to OSU. word is Haskins will do the same tomorrow

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#264 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

Pffffffffffttttt!!!

100-65

#265 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:50 PM

Keandre Jones has apparently flipped to OSU. word is Haskins will do the same tomorrow

Yep, hearing this as well. Jones is certainly disappointing, would have been a star on Durkin's defense. Have to focus on other QBs, but more likely they have to wait until 2017 to get their guy. We'll have to suffer through another year of Perry Hills/Caleb Rowe.

Kasim Hill is a 4-star QB recruit in 2017 from Gilman. Penn State is also very high on him.

Lindell Stone is also a 4-star guy from Woodberry Forest in Virginia. Lightly recruited to date.

Terps just offered 2016 4-star QB Devin Modster last week. He's one of the only QBs not to have committed already in this class. 3-star QB Nick Starkel from Texas is another one, but it looks like he's going to Texas A&M (good relationship with their new OC Noel Mazzone). 

As for transfer QBs, there are only a few available who would be eligible in 2016:

QB Johnny McCrary (Vanderbilt)

QB Chad Voytik (Pittsburgh) - Was considering Arkansas State before Bell left.

QB Davis Webb (Texas Tech) - Likely heading to an SEC or Pac-12 school.

BYU QB Taysom Hill is also rumored to be heading elsewhere after the emergence of Tanner Mangum in Provo. Michigan and Stanford have been linked to him.

@BSLZackKiesel

#266 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Yep, hearing this as well. Jones is certainly disappointing, would have been a star on Durkin's defense. Have to focus on other QBs, but more likely they have to wait until 2017 to get their guy. We'll have to suffer through another year of Perry Hills/Caleb Rowe.

Kasim Hill is a 4-star QB recruit in 2017 from Gilman. Penn State is also very high on him.

Lindell Stone is also a 4-star guy from Woodberry Forest in Virginia. Lightly recruited to date.

Terps just offered 2016 4-star QB Devin Modster last week. He's one of the only QBs not to have committed already in this class. 3-star QB Nick Starkel from Texas is another one, but it looks like he's going to Texas A&M (good relationship with their new OC Noel Mazzone). 

As for transfer QBs, there are only a few available who would be eligible in 2016:

QB Johnny McCrary (Vanderbilt)

QB Chad Voytik (Pittsburgh) - Was considering Arkansas State before Bell left.

QB Davis Webb (Texas Tech) - Likely heading to an SEC or Pac-12 school.

BYU QB Taysom Hill is also rumored to be heading elsewhere after the emergence of Tanner Mangum in Provo. Michigan and Stanford have been linked to him.

What about FCS QBs?

#267 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

What about FCS QBs?

Montana's Dakota Prukop was really the only one out there, and Oregon snatched him up pretty quickly a month ago.

@BSLZackKiesel

#268 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

Keandre Jones flipping to OSU:

https://twitter.com/...902433263718400

#269 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Done two seconds of research... but maybe someone here?

KD Humphries / Murray State

Eli Jenkins / Jacksonville State

Case Cookus / Northern Arizona

Kyle Lauletta / Richmond

#270 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

Done two seconds of research... but maybe someone here?

KD Humphries / Murray State

Eli Jenkins / Jacksonville State

Case Cookus / Northern Arizona

Kyle Lauletta / Richmond

All four are underclassmen. Can you go from FCS to FBS without sitting a year if you haven't graduated yet?

#271 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

All four are underclassmen. Can you go from FCS to FBS without sitting a year if you haven't graduated yet?

Could be wrong... but thought if you jumped a level, you had immediate eligibility.

EDIT: Seems like I'm wrong... thought this was true, since the inverse (FBS to FCS) happens.

#272 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

At this point in the process, it's extremely unlikely that the coaching staff will be able to land anyone new at QB for the 2016 season. They'll need to decide which quarterback on the roster gives them the best opportunity to grow and develop the young skill players around them offensively.

If I were putting money on it right now, I'd say Perry Hills is Maryland's quarterback when they start the season against Howard. When he was healthy last season, he carried this team. With an improved O-Line and some very talented skill players (as well as a new, high-octane offensive scheme), he should be able to have some success. He also minimizes risk better than the other options at quarterback, which should be one of the top goals for this season at the position.

The focus now shifts to getting a quarterback for the 2017 season. I think the coaches still need to target a transfer who can play in either 2016 or 2017. It's unlikely that a true freshman could come in and start immediately here (unless he enrolls early). Having a more experienced quarterback at the helm would really help, especially since Hills and Rowe are gone after this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#273 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:47 PM

Either would really be extremely disappointing. I'd take Hills over Rowe and run read-option 95% of the time. My expectations would have been low for next season anyway as far as win totals, but being able to break in a new QB (and some other young players) for 2017 would have been the best part. Kind of sets things back a year and might be 2018 before we see some results in the standings.

#274 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Be encouraged. If Edsall and Locksley were still here Haskins still would've flipped to OSU. I'm convinced of it. Now, we have so much excitement and potential with Durkin here. He gonna be really good.

#275 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

Agree that Haskins coming here was always a long shot, even after he committed.

Haven't seen the reports of his expected impending switch, but better now while there is still a little bit of time for the team to try and get someone else with a bit of promise signed than in two weeks on signing day.  Guess I'll still hold out a tiny bit of hope until it's actually official. 

If he is switching, do we think his visit on Saturday was to tell the coaches in person before announcing it publicly?  Classy move, if so.

#276 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

They offered another QB. That's 3 not counting Haskins. I'd say reading between the lines it seems he's definitely not coming.

#277 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,836 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:01 PM

Suck to lose Jones. 

Figured with a such a respected, defensive minded HC like Durkin we'd at least be able to keep around the blue chip defensive guys. 

#278 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Based on conversations I've had with some Penn State alums if PSU doesn't show some serious improvement next season then the the kid from Gilman will be recruited by a different staff.

#279 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Haksins comments on his decision to go to Ohio State
http://thepeserevanc...m/decision.html

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#280 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

Haksins comments on his decision to go to Ohio State

http://thepeserevanc...m/decision.html

Good stuff. Sucks, but I can't blame the kid at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=