#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Testudo Times: Anthony Cowan commits to Maryland: Terps add top local point guard

http://www.testudoti...ketball-commits

The top player in the state has committed to Maryland. Three/four-star point guard Anthony Cowan has pledged to the Terps, the prospect announced on Twitter. The St. John's College (Md.) Class of 2016 guard picked Maryland over offers from Illinois, Xavier and Georgetown, among others.

Cowan, listed at 6'0 and 170 pounds, is considered a three-star prospect by the 247Sports Composite. He's rated as the No. 43 point guard in the country and the best player in the state of Maryland. He was also being recruited by Kenny Johnson at Louisville, one of the best DMV recruiters in the nation.

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Underrated nationally. Very good guard. Top 75 player. Maybe better when all is said and done.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Melo is ideally a 2G. Would like to see Brantley and or Cowen do enough to move him there.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

At this point, I wouldn't think Melo will be here for his junior season, but we'll see how that goes. It's even a remote possibility he isn't here next year, but I think he will be.

Anyway, I agree with BNick in that he is underrated from a lot of what I've read. Terps got in on him early, and stayed in. Also a cool anecdote in that article about how Turge is very honest with the recruits and their families about the vision he has for the program... which adds credibility when they start to see the moves being made and can say that they had the inside scoop. Seems like Turge really has a strong recruiting skill set, beyond his assistants, which is really good to see.

#4 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I just dont see Melo being a guy that the NBA scouts will love. Hes an undersized 2G. I think he is a 4 year player.

I said this back at the end of Gary's reign. We needed to recruit better. We had to recruit better. I feel like Turge is doing the job Gary always could and should have done at MD. Had no realistic thoughts that we would consistently get Mickey D All American Top 15 players. No reason why we couldn't  consistently get Top 50 players and generally have full classes built with Top 100-125 players. He's also done a great job getting the transfers and Euros in here. Wells and Carter were both Top 50 players coming out of HS. Smot a Top 100 player. Len speaks for himself. Ceko and Bender both had and have a lot of good things said about them.  This was the vision I had for the caliber of players MD should have in their program. Now, its about putting it together and winning on the court. Its why the success this year has been so big. You use this season as a launching point. 

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

Doesn't one of the well respected NBA Draft guys already have Melo in his top 10 guards and projected as a late 1st/early 2nd RD pick this year if he left? I agree with you that I don't think he projects as some great pro... but I just wouldn't be surprised at all if he's gone after his sophomore season. I hope not though. Bottom line is there are still plenty of GM's who really value college success (individual and team). Especially in a power conference.

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hes got  work to do to make himself a Top 20 draft prospect. Thats where I would think he would seriously consider it. The thing about Melo is he just didnt have a lot of projectability left coming into the college ranks. Just a very polished, smart basketball player. You see though that the athleticism, quickness, speed isnt anything special. Reminds me of Blake or GV in that way. Our only remaining NBA players BTW but 4 year players here at MD. 

Edit: Totally blanked on Len. 2 of  3 MD players in the NBA.

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

Terrapin Station: Terps commit Anthony Cowan has big weekend

http://terrapinstati...as-big-weekend/

• Greg Pappas likes this

#8 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

I see Rivals now has Cowan as a 4-star and the 53rd overall player in the 2016 class. Glad to see he's on the rise, for whatever you want to take those rankings. 

#9 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

I see Rivals now has Cowan as a 4-star and the 53rd overall player in the 2016 class. Glad to see he's on the rise, for whatever you want to take those rankings. 

Expected. That was the buzz back when he committed. 

#10 ChrisGarman

ChrisGarman
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

Insight on who the Terps are targeting in their 2016 recruiting class along with analysis from ESPN.com's National Director of Recruiting, Paul Biancardi. 

http://baltimorespor...uiting-targets/

• BSLChrisStoner, SportsGuy, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this
@Garmelo10

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

Nice write up. Love the breakdown on each prospect. Some really good talent in the mix here. Love all the local guys.
  • ChrisGarman likes this

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland basketball recruiting roundup: Terps dish out seven new offers

http://www.testudoti...iting-2016-2017

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:40 PM

IMS: Huerter High on Terps, Plans to Visit Soon

http://maryland.247s...t-Soon-37404501

IMS: Terps Involved with VCU Transfer Terry Larrier

http://maryland.247s...arrier-37385759

• Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#14 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

The building of talent in this program is what I expected it could be. So stoked we've accomplished that part of it. Now, it's just making it all comes together on the court.

Larrier would be another great transfer. Top 50 player. Will have to sit out a year, but will be a nice player ready to go after the expected exodus after next season.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

CSN Baltimore: Report: Maryland transfer target headed elsewhere

http://www.csnbaltim...eaded-elsewhere

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

Inside MD Sports: How Has Anthony Cowan Looked at the NBPA Top 100?

http://maryland.247s...op-100-37842315

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:54 AM

Love watching Maryland commit Anthony Cowan. Terrific point guard. @notthefakeSVP

0 retweets0 favorites
 Retweet

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:44 PM

Big news here:

http://maryland.247s...Month--38614881

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Under Armour opens so many doors for MD. Even if they don't get him, and it's very unlikely, to get a visit and be in the game is big.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

5-star SG Markel Fultz from DeMatha is going to announce his commitment tonight. Can MD land him? Read his recent visits were AZ, Washington, and L'Ville. But cant find who the favorites are. MD was on the long list of schools he visited. Kansas, G'Town, UNC among the other high profile choices.

Anyone know anything about him?
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=