#21 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:55 AM

BTW, it's Bill Clinton's fault that the Prez can't just do it... the Cuba sanctions were always just a series of Executive Orders that any prez could change... but then the Republican Congress got PO'd when the Cuban defense forces shot down 2 Cessna's that anti-Castro people were using to try to sneak in weapons, so they codified all that stuff in an actual law.  That was when Clinton was in his "I'll bend over to make Republican's happy, so I can be even more famous" phase, so he signed the damn thing like a dummy.  Which means he took things that were always intended as temp measures and made them permanent.

Fortunately, even that dumb law still gives the prez lots of leeway about the details, so things will loosen up a lot, even if the next Congress doesn't like it... which they won't...

This has very little to do with Republicans and Democrats but you seem like you think you know it all.  People were tortured and killed.  Crimes against humanities, families torn apart, people had to up and leave loved ones if there was a hint of suspicion.  There were labor camps, institutionalized people where lobotomies were performed. This conversation would send me to jail if I were in Cuba now or be targeted by their group, who congregates outside homes to throw rocks, beat, and humiliate under the government  "repudiation act"  http://cpj.org/repor...d-countries.php

Most just wanted there to be some change before they are able to reap the benefits because no matter what the Cuban people will still suffer.  The Government will just be more funded to do as they please once they open everything back up. But hey its funny to watch the other party squirm at the expense of a nation of people right haha.........

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#22 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

Revolution, expropriation and the Havana Sugar Kings

I didn't know the former Havana franchise is now the Norfolk Tides.

• Icterus galbula likes this
@DJ_McCann

#23 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

This has very little to do with Republicans and Democrats but you seem like you think you know it all.  People were tortured and killed.  Crimes against humanities, families torn apart, people had to up and leave loved ones if there was a hint of suspicion.  There were labor camps, institutionalized people where lobotomies were performed. This conversation would send me to jail if I were in Cuba now or be targeted by their group, who congregates outside homes to throw rocks, beat, and humiliate under the government  "repudiation act"  http://cpj.org/repor...d-countries.php

Most just wanted there to be some change before they are able to reap the benefits because no matter what the Cuban people will still suffer.  The Government will just be more funded to do as they please once they open everything back up. But hey its funny to watch the other party squirm at the expense of a nation of people right haha.........

And this is different than China how?

Look, the ridiculous Cuba policy has done nothing but hurt ordinary Cuban people and give the Castro brothers a big fat excuse for everything they do.  It has failed to accomplish *anything* for more than 50 years.  Now, right when we're on the verge of the Castro brothers dying because of old age, this move lets contact with Americans influence what happens when Cuba transitions to life after Castro.  For the most part, Cubans like Americans and Americans like Cubans.  Restoring normal contact is the best possible opportunity to embed a growing appetite for Things American as that long-suffering nation transitions to whatever's next for them.  

The only thing a continuation of the stupid embargo would accomplish is to give Castro's pals a bad reason to continue the same BS after the Castro's croak.  Plus, even the Cubans in Miami are in favor of the change... the young ones overwhelmingly so... but even the generation that were born in Cuba, lost their homes and other property, and came here to escape, even almost half of them want the change.  So, all in all, I'm guessing you watch the Fox Propaganda Channel.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#24 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

And this is different than China how?

Look, the ridiculous Cuba policy has done nothing but hurt ordinary Cuban people and give the Castro brothers a big fat excuse for everything they do.  It has failed to accomplish *anything* for more than 50 years.  Now, right when we're on the verge of the Castro brothers dying because of old age, this move lets contact with Americans influence what happens when Cuba transitions to life after Castro.  For the most part, Cubans like Americans and Americans like Cubans.  Restoring normal contact is the best possible opportunity to embed a growing appetite for Things American as that long-suffering nation transitions to whatever's next for them.  

The only thing a continuation of the stupid embargo would accomplish is to give Castro's pals a bad reason to continue the same BS after the Castro's croak.  Plus, even the Cubans in Miami are in favor of the change... the young ones overwhelmingly so... but even the generation that were born in Cuba, lost their homes and other property, and came here to escape, even almost half of them want the change.  So, all in all, I'm guessing you watch the Fox Propaganda Channel.

You summed up your entire posting life in a half sentence.  Check my name and then think where possible destinations it could be from since you are so good at guessing....  Then again this shows you are not.  I won't talk politics but I will stand up for who you obviously try to pigeon hole into Republicans or democrats with your narrow minded thinking.  This goes beyond that, sorry Chris I won't post on this subject anymore but I would like to ask this stops because news reports will get you nowhere first hand information of people who lived through it will always out weigh what gets in and out of Cuba.

PS your guessing is completely wrong and I do not care what side of the isle you want me to be put into or how far back on the bus you want me to sit Rshack....

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#25 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

PS your guessing is completely wrong and I do not care what side of the isle you want me to be put into or how far back on the bus you want me to sit Rshack....

Like I said, I was guessing about that... and if you say I guessed wrong, well, I certainly believe you.

As for the back of the bus, that makes no sense whatsoever.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#26 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:32 PM

From 3:20 on... American cars and other Cuban stuff...

Also: 

http://watch.wliw.or...deo/1317690969/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=