Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

http://ftw.usatoday....mlb-yasiel-puig

And while a warmer relationship between the two countries could ultimately lead to smaller initial contracts for top-flight Cuban stars due to MLB’s international free-agency restrictions, it could ultimately make life a good deal less complicated for Cuban ballplayers on both sides of the Gulf of Mexico.

http://hardballtalk....ions-with-cuba/

As for baseball: if this (a) allows more Cubans to participate in organized baseball in places other than Cuba; and (b) prevents Cubans who would seek to do so from having to put themselves in the hands of smugglers and criminals, well, it’s hard to see a downside.

MLB Statement: “Major League Baseball is closely monitoring the White House’s announcement regarding Cuban-American relations.  While there are not sufficient details to make a realistic evaluation, we will continue to track this significant issue, and we will keep our Clubs informed if this different direction may impact the manner in which they conduct business on issues related to Cuba.”

#2 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Obviously way too early to see how this shakes out, but just wanted to start a thread and see if anyone had (non-political) thoughts.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

My non-political thought:   Does this mean I can start buying Cuban cigars at a regular cigar store??

• Markus likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

My non-political baseball thought:  anything that can increase the talent pool in MLB without having to ship these guys covertly into the US via drug cartels is probably a good thing.

• 1970 likes this

@bopper33

#5 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

My non-political thought:   Does this mean I can start buying Cuban cigars at a regular cigar store??

I think soon.   However, I also think you'll be disappointed.  The Opus X from the Dominican Republican will probably supersede anything from Cuba.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#6 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

Sure... just a matter of when...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

I think soon.   However, I also think you'll be disappointed.  The Opus X from the Dominican Republican will probably supersede anything from Cuba.

Can't say I've heard of those. I'm far from a cigar aficionado (yuck yuck) but I had a Cuban in Toronto once and it tasted very good.

@bopper33

#8 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

It's kinda funny (in a sick way) to watch the right-wing radicals go absolutely berserk about this...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#9 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

One thing that will be fun is seeing how those guys kept their big 50's American cars running despite 50+ years of no parts...

News reports say church bells are ringing in Havana... I wonder if it was car guys ringing them...

• SammyBirdland likes this

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:55 PM

I don't follow. Are auto parts for classic muscle cars smuggled into Cuba or something?

(Not a car guy).

@bopper33

#11 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

My kingdom for an AutoZone!
  • RShack likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#12 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

I don't follow. Are auto parts for classic muscle cars smuggled into Cuba or something?

(Not a car guy).

They haven't been able to get US car parts since 1961... so, they had to figure out how to get by without them.  Until then, virtually all their cars were American... since then, they haven't had a lot of new cars...

If it's just gaskets or something like that, it's not hard to make new ones.  But when an Actual Part breaks or wears out, well, they've no doubt done some freaking amazing backyard engineering...

#13 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Sure... just a matter of when...

Well, it turns out to be a bit hazier than I realized:  http://www.vox.com/2...es - 12/17/2014

I'm guessing it comes down to whether the Republicans in Congress want to be able to buy Cuban cigars... they're big on talking about principle... until it interferes with something they want...

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

It's kinda funny (in a sick way) to watch the right-wing radicals go absolutely berserk about this...

I'm kind-of hoping they riot in Little Havana, just on the off-chance they burn down Marlins Park.

@DJ_McCann

#15 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'm kind-of hoping they riot in Little Havana, just on the off-chance they burn down Marlins Park.

No way. That place is awesome. Trust me.

@bopper33

#16 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

No way. That place is awesome. Trust me.

It has that home-run...thingee. I'm not sure I can trust you :P

@DJ_McCann

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

You can take in a baseball game while watching gorgeous women dancing on a stage wearing nothing but body paint. Sure beats the crab shuffle.

@bopper33

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:38 PM

You can take in a baseball game while watching gorgeous women dancing on a stage wearing nothing but body paint.

Why would I want to be distracted from either one of those?

@DJ_McCann

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:40 PM

Why would I want to be distracted from either one of those?

Time allocation. Every three outs there's a commercial break.
  • DJ MC likes this

@bopper33

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

Well, it turns out to be a bit hazier than I realized:  http://www.vox.com/2...es - 12/17/2014

I'm guessing it comes down to whether the Republicans in Congress want to be able to buy Cuban cigars... they're big on talking about principle... until it interferes with something they want...

BTW, it's Bill Clinton's fault that the Prez can't just do it... the Cuba sanctions were always just a series of Executive Orders that any prez could change... but then the Republican Congress got PO'd when the Cuban defense forces shot down 2 Cessna's that anti-Castro people were using to try to sneak in weapons, so they codified all that stuff in an actual law.  That was when Clinton was in his "I'll bend over to make Republican's happy, so I can be even more famous" phase, so he signed the damn thing like a dummy.  Which means he took things that were always intended as temp measures and made them permanent.

Fortunately, even that dumb law still gives the prez lots of leeway about the details, so things will loosen up a lot, even if the next Congress doesn't like it... which they won't...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=