#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

It's not a matter of balls, it's a matter of not being stupid...

Yea you're right.  The Red Sox and Yankees and Angels and Dodgers and all those other successful teams they are just stupid.

We're the smart ones.  We know what it takes!  Every 14 years or so we are right there!

Give me a break.

• fishteacher likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Is it behind a paywall?

It's a book sooooo yes?!

http://www.amazon.co...tus annual 2015

@JeffLongBP

#43 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:12 PM

They still make books?

• JeffLong likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#44 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,909 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

Yeah man they're still rectangular and everything
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#45 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

It's not a matter of balls, it's a matter of not being stupid...

Is your goal to return a decent profit or win ball games (no pun intended)?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#46 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Yeah man they're still rectangular and everything

What size batteries do they take?

• JeffLong and Matt_P like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#47 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

If the Os signed Scherzer tonight, Rshack would be saying the opposite.

If they traded Jones for a 27 y/o single A player, he would call it a great trade.
  • clapdiddy likes this

#48 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

I guess the big question now is what teams are in on Scherzer?   You would think the Yankees, Dodgers, Boston, and Detroit still.

I don't know that we would be able to outbid any of those teams.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:19 PM

Is there a rule that says you can't draft and develop and also spend a lot of money...especially after getting a ton for the playoffs and the fact that sport is making huge dollars?

Where is that rule written?
  • Mackus likes this

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Btw, the Nats today just did what I am talking about.

#51 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

If you 1: believe in the money that MLB is bringing in, and believe that they will continue increasing their revenues, and 2: really believe in the Orioles for 2015-2018 (this means making some assumptions about our current prospects/young players, and having a lot of faith in our ability to get production from the scrap heap) then Scherzer makes a ton of sense.

The problem is that you can't really be sure about production past 2017 or 2018, and aging curves are getting sharper.  It's more than worth it if we go to the playoffs from 2015-2017 even if he falls off a cliff afterwards.  It's not if we don't, and as a team without as much wiggle room financially as the MFY, that's a pretty big risk.  It's probably one I would take, but it's certainly not cut-and-dry.

#52 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

Yea you're right.  The Red Sox and Yankees and Angels and Dodgers and all those other successful teams they are just stupid.

We're the smart ones.  We know what it takes!  Every 14 years or so we are right there!

Give me a break.

For a young (?) guy, you sure think like an old fart... you're stuck in the past.  

News Flash to Rip Van Winkle:  It hasn't been 14 years, they've been good 3 years in a row.  

When was the last time that happened?  (I know... do you?)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#53 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

For a young (?) guy, you sure think like an old fart... you're stuck in the past.  

News Flash to Rip Van Winkle:  It hasn't been 14 years, they've been good 3 years in a row.  

Yea I'm stuck in the past lol. 2011 was sooooo long ago. And plenty of people have already stated that a lot of this success is due to blind luck.

@bopper33

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Why can't you do smart stuff behind the scenes that builds a good foundation while also being willing to spend money when you've got a weakness on your MLB squad?

• SportsGuy and fishteacher like this

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

Why can't you do smart stuff behind the scenes that builds a good foundation while also being willing to spend money when you've got a weakness on your MLB squad?

What a stupid notion. You are a wuss.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#56 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

Shack, preaching patience is all well and good, but there are moves that we could be making.  You can't deny that.

I agree that they deserve the benefit of the doubt, and this is probably the most competent (or Angelos free) set of people running our club in a long time.  But that doesn't mean we can't see potential opportunities for improvement, including signing a front line pitcher, and wonder why they won't ever do it.  

I'm with you on most of this stuff, like not being upset about Morse because he obviously didn't want to come here and/or mostly DH, but you've got to stop being so ardent about defending DD/Buck.  Being a Questioner isn't the same as being a Doubter.

• mweb08 and fishteacher like this

@fuzydunlop

#57 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:38 PM

Yea I'm stuck in the past lol. 2011 was sooooo long ago. And plenty of people have already stated that a lot of this success is due to blind luck.

So, in other words, you have no idea when the last time was that the O's were good 3 years in a row.... right?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#58 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

So, in other words, you have no idea when the last time was that the O's were good 3 years in a row.... right?

Oh for Christ's sake go away.
  • BobPhelan likes this

@bopper33

#59 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

Shack, preaching patience is all well and good, but there are moves that we could be making.  You can't deny that.

I agree that they deserve the benefit of the doubt, and this is probably the most competent (or Angelos free) set of people running our club in a long time.  But that doesn't mean we can't see potential opportunities for improvement, including signing a front line pitcher, and wonder why they won't ever do it.  

I'm with you on most of this stuff, like not being upset about Morse because he obviously didn't want to come here and/or mostly DH, but you've got to stop being so ardent about defending DD/Buck.  Being a Questioner isn't the same as being a Doubter.

Oh, I think questioning is fine.  The problem is that I don't see much questioning.  What I see is a whole lot of answering... all of which seems to boil down to either (a) PA has DD on puppet strings, forcing him to not do smart things, or (b ) DD is not doing smart things for other reasons.  

As for your observation that there are moves DD might have made that he hasn't made... that's obviously true.  I'm just not smart enough to be sure that him not making those moves is the same thing as him making mistakes.  Lots of people seem absolutely certain that him not making those moves if proof certain that he's making mistakes left and right.  I think it's kinda silly to be so sure about that.

#60 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Oh, I think questioning is fine.  The problem is that I don't see much questioning.  What I see is a whole lot of answering... all of which seems to boil down to either (a) PA has DD on puppet strings, forcing him to not do smart things, or (b ) DD is not doing smart things for other reasons.  

As for your observation that there are moves DD might have made that he hasn't made... that's obviously true.  I'm just not smart enough to be sure that him not making those moves is the same thing as him making mistakes.  Lots of people seem absolutely certain that him not making those moves if proof certain that he's making mistakes left and right.  I think it's kinda silly to be so sure about that.

A lot of this stuff you make up in your mind, as you have done for years. Not sure if you just enjoy lying or living in a world no one else does or what it is...but the act is old

All of that being said, whatever fantasy world you want to make up here, has nothing to do with Jeffs article...so thanks for hi-jacking a thread with your garbage..yet again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=