• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

Also, it prevents Boston from potentially adding him if they want to go in that direction. 

I doubt the O's are willing to make the deal either though and that it all runs through Peter Angelos.

I think if it were up to DD alone, he'd be in on one of Shields/Scherzer/Lester.

#3 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Good question. It would also allow them to trade from their strength for other pieces they need. Good article.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:39 PM

I think if it were up to DD alone, he'd be in on one of Shields/Scherzer/Lester.

Not sure I buy that.

#5 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:21 PM

Not sure I buy that.

Let me re-iterate that. If he could set his own budget based on the revenues and payroll he'd be permitted to go to...then he'd be interested in one of them. 

Bnick has said this, and we agree, PA still wields a lot of influence even if he's meddling a lot less.

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Let me re-iterate that. If he could set his own budget based on the revenues and payroll he'd be permitted to go to...then he'd be interested in one of them. 

Bnick has said this, and we agree, PA still wields a lot of influence even if he's meddling a lot less.

That's fine...but Duq is a dumpster diver and I don't think that is only because of PA.

#7 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

That's fine...but Duq is a dumpster diver and I don't think that is only because of PA.

I don't know he did some good things with the Expo's and Redsox with big moves.

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#8 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

Why not? Because he's a player that at least one other team will actively pursue. Historically speaking, all it takes is for the Orioles to be involved in a mix to be eliminated from said mix.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

I don't know he did some good things with the Expo's and Redsox with big moves.

That was a long time ago.

#10 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:28 PM

That was a long time ago.

Everything and anything related to DD is a long time ago. It was his last two gigs...the time elapse really shouldn't matter.

He's a guy that has shown he's willing to make big moves for big players when called upon to do so. 

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Why not Max Scherzer? If you're going to go big, go real big.

#12 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

I agree.  This is from Joe Sheehan's newsletter today about the Twins, but it applies here.

No, the Santana signing is another example of a team just not understanding the fundamental truth: the middle class of free agency is death. Ricky Nolasco and Ervin Santana will make $25.5 million in 2015. Jon Lester's AAV is $25.8 million. Max Scherzer will probably make about 10% more. You are almost always better funneling free-agent dollars into the very best players rather than doling it out to the middle class. What the Twins did with Philip Hughes, buying low -- three years, $24 million -- that's the proper use of free agency. Josh Willingham and Torii Hunter and Ricky Nolasco and Ervin Santana? Just money being burned.

• BobPhelan and JordanKough like this

@fuzydunlop

#13 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Why not Sandy Koufax? ;)
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:27 PM

Sure...but as much as I don't think we would give 90-100M to Shields, I can't even fathom a scenario where we give MS 150-200M.

But yea, similar concept of get top assets and don't worry about cost. I would be fine with that.

I do think Shields represents a better value.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

I agree.  This is from Joe Sheehan's newsletter today about the Twins, but it applies here.

Yep...the Orioles are going to spend around 20 million on De Aza, Norris, Matusz and Hunter.

Would anyone here not trade those 4 for James Shields?

This gets back to what I asked the other day...what is the more important number...total payroll or player contracts?

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

Sure...but as much as I don't think we would give 90-100M to Shields, I can't even fathom a scenario where we give MS 150-200M.

But yea, similar concept of get top assets and don't worry about cost. I would be fine with that.

I do think Shields represents a better value.

I think Max is worth at least 7-8 million more per year than Shields. I wouldn't go with Shields if I'm looking at getting get value or if I'm looking at getting a true ace. He's a very good workhorse, though.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

It is.  I think he'd still sign cheap guys to deals he thought could give surplus value even if we had an appropriate budget, but he would also live at the high end of the FA market if he was able to.  I think his history in Boston shows that.

• 1970 likes this

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yep...the Orioles are going to spend around 20 million on De Aza, Norris, Matusz and Hunter.

Would anyone here not trade those 4 for James Shields?

This gets back to what I asked the other day...what is the more important number...total payroll or player contracts?

Kind of a false choice since you'd need to add players and money to the Shields side.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:08 PM

Also agree that if we have the budget for Shields, just go all in and get Scherzer.  He's the better value between the two, even if he costs $7M per year more.  He's considerabyl better, and even if the contract is longer, it's more or less equal considering the ages you are buying.  I'd far rather have Scherzer for 6/$168M than Shields for 5/$100M.

I don't think the O's will spend even half of the Shields contract on anyone, though.

• mweb08 likes this

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

Also agree that if we have the budget for Shields, just go all in and get Scherzer.  He's the better value between the two, even if he costs $7M per year more.  He's considerabyl better, and even if the contract is longer, it's more or less equal considering the ages you are buying.  I'd far rather have Scherzer for 6/$168M than Shields for 5/$100M.

I don't think the O's will spend even half of the Shields contract on anyone, though.

Scherzer is going to get 7 years and probably more than 168 million as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=