#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:39 PM

Verizon should be able to confirm this...

This is actually the biggest detail that is bothering me, and it's less about the case than the investigation and the reporting. If there's a controversy over the location--or even the existence--of these phones, wouldn't the first thing you do, be to go to the phone company? Even if Verizon (or at that time still Bell Atlantic; that's how long ago this was) didn't keep those records, that should be mentioned. I can't be the only one out there yelling at poor Sarah every time this comes up.

I believe that was mentioned.

#42 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

I saw the host of this interviewed on the news. Sounded really interesting. May have to check it out.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#43 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:43 PM

Jay explained that: basically, once Adnan showed him the body, he felt that he was involved and couldn't risk going to police without Adnan hurting his girlfriend.

Why are they together during the day? Why is Adnan calling him for a lift / help after? Okay, Jay sells him some weed... And the y smoke together.. but they are described as more of acquaintances vs friends.

Jay is doing things before seeing the body which speak to a larger relationship.

Very little makes sense about this case IMO. It doesn't make much sense for Adnan to kill her, it makes even less sense for Jay to kill her, doesn't make sense for Adnan to kill her the way he allegedly did or plan on involving Jay, the timeline doesn't make sense, Jay's involvement doesn't make sense, etc.

#44 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:44 PM

I saw the host of this interviewed on the news. Sounded really interesting. May have to check it out.

We need your law expertise here.

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

I don't know. Once she started talking about how the phones may not actually exist I was listening for her to mention checking Verizon. It's possible I missed it.

@DJ_McCann

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:51 PM

I don't know. Once she started talking about how the phones may not actually exist I was listening for her to mention checking Verizon. It's possible I missed it.

Believe it was episode 2 she listed the attempts at verification. Missed her saying Verizon / Bell Atlantic.

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

I recall her saying that they tried to find the records through various methods.

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

Believe it was episode 2 she listed the attempts at verification. Missed her saying Verizon / Bell Atlantic.

That early? I didn't think she was talking about the phones until episode four or so. Whenever she actually drove the route.

@DJ_McCann

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

That early? I didn't think she was talking about the phones until episode four or so. Whenever she actually drove the route.

Nope... was Episode 5... and Verizon was mentioned as contacted.

Jay’s story is that when he pulled into Best Buy, he saw Adnan at the phone booth there, at the edge of the building, wearing red gloves. Adnan motioned for Jay to follow him across the front of the building, around to the other side, to the farthest corner of the side parking lot, where Jay saw Hae’s car parked. T

The Best Buy employees I talked to did not remember a payphone back then. We spoke to the landlord at the time and to the property manager, they had no record of a payphone. They dug up a photo of the store, from 2001, no phone booth or payphone, though lots of public phones did come down between ‘99 and 2001. They looked up the blueprints for the store when it was built in 1995, nothing. The manager also said there is no record of a service agreement between Best Buy and any payphone company at that store. We checked with the Maryland public service commission. We checked with Verizon. Neither could track down records from that far back.

It seems crazy to me that the cops would have either not checked to make sure it existed or failed to mention it if somehow it wasn’t there. They never got the call record from this booth. There’s nothing in their files about it. At trial, Adnan’s lawyer brings up this phone booth when she’s trying to attack Jay’s credibility. She says to the judge, “we believe that the physical description of the actuality of Best Buy, including the location of the phone booth at Best Buy, the entrance, the existence or non-existence of security cameras,” etc., she

• mweb08 and DJ MC like this

#50 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

I just binged the whole thing from 4pm to now. It's extremely captivating.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#51 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

I just downloaded all the episodes, my friend told me about it weeks ago but I guess it took the Colbert Bump to put it over the top for me. Will start listening to it at work on Monday.

#52 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

Pretty funny!

http://www.funnyordi...isode-of-serial

• DJ MC likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#53 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,726 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

There's one or two really good reveals in the finale, and it ends about the way I thought it would.  My opinions are pretty much in agreement with hers.

• BobPhelan and SammyBirdland like this

#54 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

WJZ just posted a "throwback Thursday" #tbt story on their Facebook page about the Hae Min Lee's murder, pointing to this link:

http://baltimore.cbs...in-leakin-park/

Seriously, WJZ, how tasteless.  What the crap is wrong with people?   Looks like they got beat up pretty bad in the comments and took it down.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#55 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,556 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

There's one or two really good reveals in the finale, and it ends about the way I thought it would.  My opinions are pretty much in agreement with hers.

Agreed, great finale. Better than I expected it to be.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#56 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

My thoughts in conclusion:

1.  I don't think Adnan is innocent.

2.  I wish Adnan was innocent.

3.  I can't believe the jury convicted him, but I won't lose any sleep because #1.

• ChaosLex and BobPhelan like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#57 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:08 PM

3.  I can't believe the jury convicted him, but I won't lose any sleep because #1.

I binged watched (listened?) to the podcast over the past couple of days. I was so excited that I was all caught up, and then I found out today was the finale. Typical. LOL

Anyway, I agree with everything on your list. I'm not buying the new "suspect" introduced today given that Hae wasn't sexually assaulted and Jae lead the police to her car. Definitely enough for reasonable doubt, but I still think the right person is in jail.

BTW, I work for SSA out in Woodlawn. All of the locations (high school, Best Buy, I-70 park and ride, etc.) are literally within a mile of my building. Wow! I doubt I'll drive out to Leakin Park anytime soon on my lunch break. Between the bodies buried there and the streakers, I'm pretty sure I'd lose my appetite. :P

• SammyBirdland likes this
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#58 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

BTW, the lady behind the Innocence Project, Deirdre Enright, is f'n annoying as hell!

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#59 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,354 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

I mostly agree. However, I'm not nearly convinced enough to really agree with #3.

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

I mostly agree. However, I'm not nearly convinced enough to really agree with #3.

You think the evidence is enough to convict?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=