#61 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

I mostly agree. However, I'm not nearly convinced enough to really agree with #3.

You think the evidence is enough to convict?

Not at all. I meant that I don't agree with his statement about not losing sleep (due to his first statement).
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#62 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

I totally get that sentiment. Talk about confused emotions. I guess the fact that I'm not seething mad about him sitting in prison means that deep down I must be pretty sure that I think he's guilty, even though he's a very likable personality.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

Well to be clear, I'm not literally losing sleep. ;)

#64 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

Not at all. I meant that I don't agree with his statement about not losing sleep (due to his first statement).

Gotcha.

@DJ_McCann

#65 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

I totally get that sentiment. Talk about confused emotions. I guess the fact that I'm not seething mad about him sitting in prison means that deep down I must be pretty sure that I think he's guilty, even though he's a very likable personality.

Master manipulators usually are very likable people. 

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#66 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:04 PM

Master manipulators usually are very likable people. 

Yeah, but as the Innocence Project lawyer said, what are the chances that he's a master manipulator, or a sociopath?

@DJ_McCann

#67 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:02 PM

Just listened to all of these while I was stuck at work yesterday.  

I just can't get past the fact that Jay knew where the car was.  I'd believe Adnan was innocent otherwise.

Also, the Balmer accents are RIDICULOUS in this.  I'll bet there were over 500 'you know's in this thing.  And the way the detectives pronounced his name was embarrassing.  

@fuzydunlop

#68 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:40 AM

One thing I just thought of in regards to the car. Jay frequented the drug corners of West Baltimore buying pot. If he had been hanging out with Adnan for a while (as was mentioned) or he knew Hae, he may have known what her car looked like, and noticed it where it was left off Edmonson Avenue.

It's a stretch, and doesn't explain why he would make up the rest, but it seems reasonable at least.

@DJ_McCann

#69 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

One thing I just thought of in regards to the car. Jay frequented the drug corners of West Baltimore buying pot. If he had been hanging out with Adnan for a while (as was mentioned) or he knew Hae, he may have known what her car looked like, and noticed it where it was left off Edmonson Avenue.

It's a stretch, and doesn't explain why he would make up the rest, but it seems reasonable at least.

(I haven't listened to any of this, but I kinda know what it's about... just the basic idea, very vaguely.)  

About the thing you're wondering about... is there a knowable right answer?  Or is this one of those uncertain things that people will wonder about forever?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#70 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

Just got into this. Listening to episode 2 now.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

Just listened to all of these while I was stuck at work yesterday.  

I just can't get past the fact that Jay knew where the car was.  I'd believe Adnan was innocent otherwise.

That is key, but it doesn't prove Adnan did it or was even involved, it just points to Jay being involved unless DJ's scenario is right. I do think it gives Jay's story a lot more weight, though.

#72 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

(I haven't listened to any of this, but I kinda know what it's about... just the basic idea, very vaguely.)  

About the thing you're wondering about... is there knowable a right answer?  Or is this one of those uncertain things that people will wonder about forever?

Uncertain, at least until the DNA tested.

#73 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

That is key, but it doesn't prove Adnan did it or was even involved, it just points to Jay being involved unless DJ's scenario is right. I do think it gives Jay's story a lot more weight, though.

Its either Jay did it, or he's telling the truth (or enough of it anyway).  There's no third option, to me anyway, since he knew where the car was.  Coming upon it by happenstance seems REALLY improbable. 

@fuzydunlop

#74 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Its either Jay did it, or he's telling the truth (or enough of it anyway).  There's no third option, to me anyway, since he knew where the car was.  Coming upon it by happenstance seems REALLY improbable. 

Or Jay was involved in a similar way, but someone we haven't heard about did it. I agree that Jay was involved in some way, but unfortunately we don't know much of anything else with that much certainty.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#75 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

Needless to say, the persecution's timeline is weak and they're lucky they were able to get a conviction out of such a rigid timeline that doesn't seem realistic. Add to that some blunders by the police department -- never talking to witnesses (Asia and Will chief among others) -- and I am shocked they were able to convict Adnan.

I do still believe he killed her, and I think the foundation of Jay's story never changed although many of the details did. I think once he went along with Adnan that day, he felt like he'd become involved and being a drug dealer, was untrustworthy of the police. Perhaps he also felt scared for Stephanie.

I'm through 9 episodes. I have really been enjoying it, and, like The Wire, the local references heighten that enjoyment. I don't know if Koenig tried to get into touch with Hae's family, or if they even wanted to be a part of the show, but I would have liked to hear their perspective on the case.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

I'll also agree with those non-committal people who think Adnan did it but don't think there was enough for a conviction.

There are definitely tons of little pieces of information that could help tie the case together, but doubt we'll ever be able to confirm any of them.

Really cool series, though.  Hope the next one is as entertaining.  Made a long car ride go by very quickly.

#77 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

Needless to say, the persecution's timeline is weak and they're lucky they were able to get a conviction out of such a rigid timeline that doesn't seem realistic. Add to that some blunders by the police department -- never talking to witnesses (Asia and Will chief among others) -- and I am shocked they were able to convict Adnan.

I do still believe he killed her, and I think the foundation of Jay's story never changed although many of the details did. I think once he went along with Adnan that day, he felt like he'd become involved and being a drug dealer, was untrustworthy of the police. Perhaps he also felt scared for Stephanie.

I'm through 9 episodes. I have really been enjoying it, and, like The Wire, the local references heighten that enjoyment. I don't know if Koenig tried to get into touch with Hae's family, or if they even wanted to be a part of the show, but I would have liked to hear their perspective on the case.

"Persecution"...nice Freudian slip :P

I think she mentioned trying to get in touch with them, but they didn't want to be involved.

@DJ_McCann

#78 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

http://t.co/cGERDuZTyN

Interview with Jay
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

@fuzydunlop

#79 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

Making Sense of Serial: Who did it?

http://persephonemag...ial-who-did-it/

#80 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,657 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:53 AM

The interview with Jay is interesting... and makes it seem like BB wasn't the location of the murder, which I thought sounded fishy all along.

It also does a lot to flesh out the reason why Jay went along with Adnan and was afraid of getting in trouble, which is why the details of his story changed a lot.

I'd also love to know who made the anonymous call to police about looking into Adnan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=