#41 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,927 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

I like Rasmus -- tough spot if BAL is competing with the Cubs in vying for his one-year of service, though.

Why you think that?  Rasmus has the ability to be an every-day OF and even get a spell on the bench but still bat as DH in the AL, which has to be attractive.  He'd also get a chance to play for a real contender, not one that's been deemed on paper (remember Toronto the past 3 years?!).  People are basically GIVING the Cubs a playoff spot before the season has even begun, and I'm telling you, they won't be THAT GOOD...they're cursed.  Plain and simple.  Not sure what the reasoning is for us not be able to compete with the Cubs for his services...

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Why you think that?  Rasmus has the ability to be an every-day OF and even get a spell on the bench but still bat as DH in the AL, which has to be attractive.  He'd also get a chance to play for a real contender, not one that's been deemed on paper (remember Toronto the past 3 years?!).  People are basically GIVING the Cubs a playoff spot before the season has even begun, and I'm telling you, they won't be THAT GOOD...they're cursed.  Plain and simple.  Not sure what the reasoning is for us not be able to compete with the Cubs for his services...

I would guess Stotle's rationale is that Rasmus spending 1 year in the NL Central is more attractive vs. spending the year in the AL East if he wants to raise his value.

#43 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

Deep pockets and some flashy signings this off-season. Lesser chance he gets prematurely yanked if he struggles. Easier competition in NL Central. He's trying to establish value for a long-term play, and Cubs seem like a good fit as far as a team that could give him a long leash through the first half of the season. If he performs he'd keep his job. Not sure there is a guaranteed spot in Baltimore -- more a "we'd like to bring you in to compete for an everyday job and are confident there are at least 450 plate appearances for you in some capacity."

@NickJFaleris

#44 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

Deep pockets and some flashy signings this off-season. Lesser chance he gets prematurely yanked if he struggles. Easier competition in NL Central. He's trying to establish value for a long-term play, and Cubs seem like a good fit as far as a team that could give him a long leash through the first half of the season. If he performs he'd keep his job. Not sure there is a guaranteed spot in Baltimore -- more a "we'd like to bring you in to compete for an everyday job and are confident there are at least 450 plate appearances for you in some capacity."

I would think that in a down AL East he would rather stay, then try to leverage a multi-year deal out of the Cubs.

However, I don't really disagree with your points.

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,855 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:16 PM

I like Rasmus -- tough spot if BAL is competing with the Cubs in vying for his one-year of service, though.

Speaking of trades, it seems like the Mets and Cubs would match up really well around their challenges.

Mets are deep in young pitching, could move Granderson and need a young SS

Cubs are deep in young SSs, could use Granderson as the veteran anchor for a young team (also, I believe he's from Chicago) and have a contract (Ed Jackson) to trade.

Something like Edwin Jackson and Castro (or Baez) for Granderson and Snydergaard

....could argue about the cash and maybe another player depending on the final details.....but there's an interesting foundation for a deal there.

#46 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Our manager went to visit Rasmus.   Sounds like a deal is in the works to me.      I don't think you send your manager to go visit the guy unless the frame work for a deal is in place.   We'll see.

#47 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

Our manager went to visit Rasmus.   Sounds like a deal is in the works to me.      I don't think you send your manager to go visit the guy unless the frame work for a deal is in place.   We'll see.

I certainly don't think Showalter is flying around to talk to a FA unless the organization is very interested in that player. Agreed.

@NickJFaleris

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:07 PM

Interested to see what happens there.  I read that as Rasmus and Duquette had worked out the financial aspects, but Showalter needed to be convinced character wise...

At-least that is what it seemed to be for me. Did others see it as a recruiting trip?

Either way, you would expect now that Buck has met with him... that a deal would either happen or not in the next day or two.

#49 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Speaking of trades, it seems like the Mets and Cubs would match up really well around their challenges.

Mets are deep in young pitching, could move Granderson and need a young SS

Cubs are deep in young SSs, could use Granderson as the veteran anchor for a young team (also, I believe he's from Chicago) and have a contract (Ed Jackson) to trade.

Something like Edwin Jackson and Castro (or Baez) for Granderson and Snydergaard

....could argue about the cash and maybe another player depending on the final details.....but there's an interesting foundation for a deal there.

Biggest hurdles are (1) Mets not really looking to trade Syndergaard, (2) Cubs may be content solving the pitching via FA and maybe a midseason deal, and (3) Cubs may be wary of moving Castro before Addy Russell proves fully healthy in 2015. Lester was a big get for them and relieved some urgency; Baez still carrying a ton of risk. I do think a deal could work, but like most deals it's probably unlikely something actually happens on that front.

@NickJFaleris

#50 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Right.   Do you waste Showalter's time by having him fly out to visit Rasmus when you're not sure you can even sign the guy?

#51 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Right.   Do you waste Showalter's time by having him fly out to visit Rasmus when you're not sure you can even sign the guy?

Well, I really don't know... but it could be a combination of 2 things:  seeing if Buck likes the guy enough, while also paying some at-home attention to him on the theory that Buck could sway a fence-sitter....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:54 PM

Where is Rasmus likely to have a better year? OPACY or Wrigley?

#53 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

Where is Rasmus likely to have a better year? OPACY or Wrigley?

All things equal re: opportunity, leach before being yanked from the lineup, etc., Camden probably the better hitting environment. I don't know what the projection systems have to say about competition, and whether or not Rasmus projects better in the AL East or NL Central.

@NickJFaleris

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

Yea..I would figure OPACY as well.

He also knows the ALE, so if that were an issue, you wouldn't think the interest was there.

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

CSN Baltimore: A Rasmus in Orioles clubhouse could be fascinating

http://www.csnbaltim...-be-fascinating

#56 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:55 AM

Yea..I would figure OPACY as well.

He also knows the ALE, so if that were an issue, you wouldn't think the interest was there.

I don't put much stock into "knowing" the competition, but if I were to build a narrative to support confidence that Rasmus SHOULD want to be in Baltimore, I'd include that sure.

I mean, last year was his third full year in Toronto and I wouldn't say he found a high level of success thanks to his knowledge of the ALE.  

@NickJFaleris

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

http://www.rotoworld...53/colby-rasmus
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#58 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:21 PM

Sounds like.   Roch guesses 7M guaranteed.   Coincidentally, that's the same as Cruz got last year.   I'm guessing that Rasmus and his camp are fighting for incentives to get that number higher.

#59 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:45 AM

All this over Colby Freaking Rasmus.
  • SammyBirdland and Mike in STL like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#60 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

http://www.rotoworld...53/colby-rasmus

Dat career trajectory

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

1 user(s) are reading this topic