208 replies to this topic

#1 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

He seems to be a guy that no one is talking about on a larger stage. MLBtr projects a one-year deal, he's still young and talented, and could really shore up LF if he would be willing to take an offer to play there.

What do you think, and would he fit the O's?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

We talked about him a bit during one of the last series with Toronto. 

Strikes out a lot, but legitimate pop.  Of course he would be another low on-base guy...

One of the more interesting things is the flop in his UZR/150 from '13 to '14...

2013: 15.2 in 1002.2 innings

2014: -15.2 in 719.1 innings

A one year deal is no risk. As you said, you could sign him for LF, and use Pearce for DH.
If you lost Markakis, you could go with De Aza, Rasmus, Pearce for LF / RF / DH.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think I'd prefer De Aza, but if we non-tender him, then sure, give Rasmus a whirl.  I'd make sure Buck and whoever feel he wouldn't be a problem in the clubhouse, though.

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,745 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Doesn't he demand his dad throw him BP or something like that? Seems like an odd dude.

He doesn't increase team OBP, so I don't see much of a point.

He does seem like a guy who goes to NYY and tears it up for the next 5 years.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:56 PM

I think I'd prefer De Aza, but if we non-tender him, then sure, give Rasmus a whirl.  I'd make sure Buck and whoever feel he wouldn't be a problem in the clubhouse, though.

Why De Aza specifically? I don't know that those two are necessarily market-complimentary players.

You let go of Lough, keep De Aza, then bring Rasmus on board, you are increasing the on-field talent, and not forcing De Aza into a full time starting role. He has shown flashes, like in 2011, but he hasn't been able to sustain superior production over a full season.
Rasmus would also allow you to offset the possible loss of Cruz at a similar price, add defense, and let you continue to use Pearce in a DeRosa-type supersub role (something that really seems to fit Pearce).

I don't know, it's just a thought.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,857 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:04 AM

Why De Aza specifically? I don't know that those two are necessarily market-complimentary players.

You let go of Lough, keep De Aza, then bring Rasmus on board, you are increasing the on-field talent, and not forcing De Aza into a full time starting role. He has shown flashes, like in 2011, but he hasn't been able to sustain superior production over a full season.
Rasmus would also allow you to offset the possible loss of Cruz at a similar price, add defense, and let you continue to use Pearce in a DeRosa-type supersub role (something that really seems to fit Pearce).

I don't know, it's just a thought.

My thought would be that you aren't paying 6M for DeAza to be a backup OFer.  

You can use Lough for 500K for that.

Personally, there's a number of directions I'd go before Rasmus, but if he's a late market option, OK, I just wouldn't pursue him.

....but he is another guy that presents a challenge for Nick's market.

#7 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

I think he's worth considering if it's only going to take a one year deal w/ cheap salary to sign him. I wouldn't get rid of Lough for him. Lough brings speed and defense to the Orioles, and I think that's more important than anything Rasmus could bring to the table at this point.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#8 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

I think he's worth considering if it's only going to take a one year deal w/ cheap salary to sign him. I wouldn't get rid of Lough for him. Lough brings speed and defense to the Orioles, and I think that's more important than anything Rasmus could bring to the table at this point.

Power and a shot at a decent OBP?

@DJ_McCann

#9 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:05 PM

The more I look into this, I see how you and Mackus have a point even if I don't entirely reach the same conclusion.

Rasmus is an upgrade over De Aza, if you look at WAR and UZR. He has more power, he has the ability to be a better defender, and he would have higher upside for FA return on a one-year deal.

By the numbers, Lough is potentially a better player than them both for much cheaper. He pulled 1.9 WAR out of 197 ABs. He is also consistently rated in Machado territory for UZR/150 in the OF.
  • FlavaDave10 likes this

#10 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:55 PM

Power and a shot at a decent OBP?

Touche on power, not sure what Rasmus has shown recently that suggests he has a better chance of being a decent OBP guy than David Lough. But yeah, I'm not overly concerned about power.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Touche on power, not sure what Rasmus has shown recently that suggests he has a better chance of being a decent OBP guy than David Lough. But yeah, I'm not overly concerned about power.

He had a .338 OBP as recently as 2013.

@DJ_McCann

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

I guess I'm again warming to the idea of Rasmus.

As much as I personally like Markakis... 1 or 2 years of Rasmus seems like a better idea than 4 of Nick.

• aurelius and FFH like this

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

FanGraphs: An Attempted Defense of Colby Rasmus’ Defense

#14 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

FanGraphs: An Attempted Defense of Colby Rasmus’ Defense

Hmm says it is not available for the link to me anyone else?
<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#15 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

Hmm says it is not available for the link to me anyone else?

Works for me. I can DM the text to you if you're really interested. Let me know.

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#16 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

It appears that the Fangraphs site is down. I tried the link and even just Fangraphs.com, and nothing is coming up. The internet is working everywhere else.

#17 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

It appears that the Fangraphs site is down. I tried the link and even just Fangraphs.com, and nothing is coming up. The internet is working everywhere else.

It's up for me.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,519 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

FanGraphs Baseball @fangraphs 

Rackspace, our provider is having DNS issues (all Rackspace sites are impacted), until it's resolved you may have trouble getting to site.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,857 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

FanGraphs Baseball @fangraphs 

Rackspace, our provider is having DNS issues (all Rackspace sites are impacted), until it's resolved you may have trouble getting to site.

Alert Al Gore!!

#20 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

So, basically Colby is hard-headed and has an ego that gets in the way of his ability to play to his capability. Sounds like the perfect Buck project - at least for a season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=