#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

According to USA Today the Cubs are willing to move anyone, including future (current?) stud Starlin Castro. If Hardy were to move to 3B would you give up what it takes to get Castro? Could he be had for less than Machado or Bundy?

Castro would fill two desperate needs, he would add a little speed (15 SBs so far) and he would end the 3B issue if Hardy were willing to move.

I don't love his walk rate but his OBP would be 4th highest on the team right now behind Davis, Nick and AJ (and I'd guess he ends the year with a higher OBP than Davis).

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

If the O's bit the bullet and took on a huge chunk of Soriano's remaining deal would Castro be more easily obtained? Just food for thought here.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

According to USA Today the Cubs are willing to move anyone, including future stud Starlin Castro. If Hardy were to move to 3B would you give up what it takes to get Castro? Could he be had for less than Machado or Bundy?

First of all, you aren't getting Castro without Bundy or Machado going.

Secondly, no way the Cubs trade him unless they are completely blown away. I mean, what are you going to get? Younger, cheaper players?

Thirdly, if we did get Castro and Hardy complained about being moved, you deal him.

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I wouldn't because you have Machado coming up next season, and I think he's better than Castro.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

If the O's bit the bullet and took on a huge chunk of Soriano's remaining deal would Castro be more easily obtained? Just food for thought here.

I would take the whole Soriano contract if it meant we could get Castro at a big discount.

#6 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

According to USA Today the Cubs are willing to move anyone, including future (current?) stud Starlin Castro. If Hardy were to move to 3B would you give up what it takes to get Castro? Could he be had for less than Machado or Bundy?

Castro would fill two desperate needs, he would add a little speed (15 SBs so far) and he would end the 3B issue if Hardy were willing to move.

I don't love his walk rate but his OBP would be 4th highest on the team right now behind Davis, Nick and AJ (and I'd guess he ends the year with a higher OBP than Davis).

Yes, I firmly believe Hardy would be a team player and move to third. However, I'd be totally shocked to see the Cubs deal Castro. Regardless, Machado is a year or so away, and the O's would not likely entertain dealing him.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yes, I firmly believe Hardy would be a team player and move to third. However, I'd be totally shocked to see the Cubs entertain dealing Castro, but one never knows.

It's not like he would have a choice in the matter, he like any other player would move unless he wanted to forfeit his salary and risk not being able to play for the remainder of his contract. If you're boss, asks you to take on different responsibilties, they aren't asking you as much as they are telling you. It's that simple.
@levineps

#8 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yes, I firmly believe Hardy would be a team player and move to third. However, I'd be totally shocked to see the Cubs entertain dealing Castro, but one never knows.

It's not like he would have a choice in the matter, he like any other player would move unless he wanted to forfeit his salary and risk not being able to play for the remainder of his contract. If you're boss, asks you to take on different responsibilties, they aren't asking you as much as they are telling you. It's that simple.

What you say is true, but there is a bit more to it than that. Approaching a quality veteran player like Hardy, and one who plays a prime position on a multi-year contract -in the prime of his career- with word that he needs to move to another position, would likely be handled a bit more delicately than, "You're moving to third from now on." I imagine Showalter would present the situation to Hardy in private, and explain why this is a move that is best for the organization. Naturally, if Hardy balked at it, he'd have little choice in the matter, but the O's would not want a disgruntled player on a young and impressionable team. But, in my view, while Hardy would not be happy about, he would do what was asked, have a smile on his face and would become a very good 3B'man.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

What you say is true, but there is a bit more to it than that. Approaching a quality veteran player like Hardy, and one who plays a prime position on a multi-year contract -in the prime of his career- with word that he needs to move to another position, would likely be handled a bit more delicately than, "You're moving to third from now on." I imagine Showalter would present the situation to Hardy in private, and explain why this is a move that is best for the organization. Naturally, if Hardy balked at it, he'd have little choice in the matter, but the O's would not want a disgruntled player on a young and impressionable team. But, in my view, while Hardy would not be happy about, he would do what was asked, have a smile on his face and would become a very good 3B'man.

I'd agree with your philosophy more if was Derek Jeter. And I do think this will be done in private. Hardy very well knew when he signed the long-term deal, he might be asked to move for Machado or someone else. And yes, i think he would be a good soldier about the whole thing as well he should. This is totally managments call not the players in this case. It's JJ Hardy we're talking about after all, he's not exactly a HOFer with all due respect.

Some people on here think 3B is more valuable than SS, I disagree with that, but just throwing that out there.
@levineps

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Some people on here think 3B is more valuable than SS, I disagree with that, but just throwing that out there.

Who thinks that? And what do you mean "more valuable"?

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Who thinks that? And what do you mean "more valuable"?

I don't want to name names, but if you check the threads you'll see some think that 3B is a harder position&there's less of a market it for that than SS. Again, not my argument.
@levineps

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

I don't want to name names, but if you check the threads you'll see some think that 3B is a harder position&there's less of a market it for that than SS. Again, not my argument.

Well that argument obviously is nonsense. SS is much harder than 3B.

They take guys who can't play SS anymore and move them to 3B. I've never seen anyone suggest that Reynolds be moved to SS to put his glove in a position where it'll do less damage.

Gotta think there is some sort of miscommunication going on here. I can't imagine anyone who follows baseball thinking that 3B is harder than SS.

#13 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Castro is a great player but for what it would take to acquire him, regardless of whether we take on Soriano's full contract or not, would be too great a cost considering we have Machado only a year (or a year and a half) away and JJ Hardy is still a top 5 defensive SS in all of baseball. No need to move him to 3B right now.

I'd much rather us trade for a capable 3B on offense and defense - a la Chase Headley or even an Alberto Callaspo type.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Well that argument obviously is nonsense. SS is much harder than 3B.

They take guys who can't play SS anymore and move them to 3B. I've never seen anyone suggest that Reynolds be moved to SS to put his glove in a position where it'll do less damage.

Gotta think there is some sort of miscommunication going on here. I can't imagine anyone who follows baseball thinking that 3B is harder than SS.

Found it, here it is- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=484&start=75
@levineps

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

That post is talking about supply and demand of MLB SS and 3B. Not whether or not SS is harder to play than 3B.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

That post is talking about supply and demand of MLB SS and 3B. Not whether or not SS is harder to play than 3B.

I said the argument was that 3B was more valuable than SS. And in this thread, it is very clear some think that 3B are worth more, whether that's because of supply and demand is irrelevant. Also, in the thread, it is mentioned that 3B is the toughest position after catcher, clearly implying it's harder than SS.
@levineps

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I said the argument was that 3B was more valuable than SS. And in this thread, it is very clear some think that 3B are worth more, whether that's because of supply and demand is irrelevant. Also, in the thread, it is mentioned that 3B is the toughest position after catcher, clearly implying it's harder than SS.

Guess I didn't read enough of that thread. But I disagree with both of those theses, not that you are putting them out there as your own opinions.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Guess I didn't read enough of that thread. But I disagree with both of those theses, not that you are putting them out there as your own opinions.

Yep, I think Hardy would lose value if they moved him to third, given how well he's played both offensively and defensively.
@levineps

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Supply and demand is not irrelevant. Positional scarcity means there are less good players at that position than other positions. It ebbs and flows, right now there are more decent offensive SS in the league than 3B, so that puts an artificial premium on that position because demand is high for it.

You are confusing positional scarcity and premium positions.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

I like Hardy doing what he's doing where he's doing it. He's a strength there, don't mess with that.

Moving him around and getting a guy who's as good as he is to replace him at SS costs too much and it screws things up. That's creating 2 problems when you're trying to solve 1 problem, which I think is a bad idea. I think you oughta be making the problem list shorter, not longer.

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=