• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Wow, well I liked him, but no way did I expect Ramsey to go at 23. Maybe if they move him to 2nd.

Thought it was Shaffer all the way there.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Watch how much money they save on Ramsey...
@NickJFaleris

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Good call, but with Shaffer on the board?
@JeremyMStrain

#24 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Shafer is actually worth a 1st Rd pick. They are saving money on Ramsey -- couldn't have saved that on Shafer.
@NickJFaleris

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

Shafer is actually worth a 1st Rd pick. They are saving money on Ramsey -- couldn't have saved that on Shafer.

Yeah definitely couldn't but you wouldn't rather have him at full value versus Ramsey + whatever money they save (maybe 500k?) I dunno, maybe I was a bigger fan than most of Richie, really liked what I saw.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

Yeah definitely couldn't but you wouldn't rather have him at full value versus Ramsey + whatever money they save (maybe 500k?) I dunno, maybe I was a bigger fan than most of Richie, really liked what I saw.

I think the pick made sense at the time, but the Cardinals didn't end up picking anyone that would require the savings in the supplemental round. Piscotty is comparable bat to Shafer, but I find it hard to believe they spend the money they should be saving on Ramsey.
@NickJFaleris

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

MLB.com: Plenty of talent remains in Day 2
http://mlb.mlb.com//...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Some members of MLB.com 's Top 100 who have not been selected:

"35. Buttrey, RHP, Providence Sr HS (N.C.): When a pitcher kicks off a Draft season with a noticeable jump in velocity, it's going to attract attention. Buttrey did just that, causing an influx of scouts to the Charlotte area. Considering he's still a bit raw, his size, arm strength and potential should have many teams interested on Tuesday.

37. Rahier, SS, Palm Desert HS (Calif.): Rahier isn't taking the most typical path as a Draft prospect. He doesn't play for his high school team. Instead, the infielder chose to play for his spring travel team, playing in wood bat games instead of for his Palm Desert High School team, and scouts have been sure to check him out. The San Diego commit likely won't stay at shortstop, though all of his skills, from the power bat to his defensive tools, should profile just fine at third base.

42. Wood, LHP, Georgia: Combine left-handedness, velocity and pitching in a tough college conference, and the result is going to be a Draft prospect worth watching. Wood's overall command needs to improve as he moves on, but most of it is caused by some mechanical issues with his delivery. If corrected, he has the stuff to be a very intriguing left-handed starter.

44. Sanburn, RHP, Arkansas: Sanburn has seen most of his action on the Razorbacks out of the bullpen, and while he has started a few games, most see his future as a reliever. He does go right after hitters with a closer-like mentality, a role he could potentially fill at the next level.

47. Virant, LHP, Camarillo HS (Calif.): The UCLA commit throws his fastball for strikes and competes well. And he does it all with a very smooth delivery. Those raw ingredients, along with his ideal pitcher's frame and his handling of the big-spotlight events, had many scouts watching his progress this spring.

48. Kelly, 3B, Westview HS (Ore.): The top 2012 prospect from the Pacific Northwest, scouts took a look at Kelly both as a pitcher and as a third baseman. While initially it seemed like his arm might be of more interest, it became apparent as the Draft approached that most liked his potential as a position player more.

50. Walker, 1B/OF, Jacksonville: The son of a former NFL running back, Walker looks the part of a future slugger. The question is if he has the baseball skills to get there. A big, physical specimen, Walker has played first base and the outfield. There is some concern that he's a Ferrari with a VW engine.

51. Mitchell Brown, RHP, Century HS (Minn.): It's not uncommon for players who play in colder climates to be late risers, as scouts don't get to see them until the weather changes. That definitely has been the case for Brown this spring. There was little doubt he was the best player in the state of Minnesota as the Draft arrived.

52. Chris Beck, RHP, Georgia Southern: The Georgia native has the chance to have three pitches that will be Major League average or better. He can run his fastball up to 94 mph, sitting comfortably at 92-93 mph, and he maintains his velocity deep into starts. If he would pitch off of his fastball more, he could be even better -- a frontline starter with three weapons to choose from.

61. Nolan Fontana, SS, Florida: Take each of Fontana's tools individually and none of them may overwhelm you. Add them up and you'll like what you see a lot more. Fontana could be a very good second baseman, a decent shortstop or the kind of super utility man championship-caliber teams tend to have. Whatever the case, his abilities and instincts should allow him to help a big league club out quickly.

62. Jameis Winston, RHP, Hueytown HS (Ala.): A two-sport standout in high school, the biggest immediate question facing teams interested in his tools is whether or not he can be lured from being quarterback at Florida State to play baseball full-time as a pro. Winston just needs to play to improve his instincts and baseball IQ. Whether he chooses that path after the Draft should be an interesting storyline to watch."

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Baseball Draft Report: http://baseballdraft...hing-prospects/

"RHP Ty Buttrey (Providence HS, North Carolina): once sat 87-91 FB hitting 92, but pumped up to consistent 90-94, hitting 95-96 by early spring; two-seam FB stays 90-92 – pitch is a certifiable bat breaker; two-seam, four-seam, and cut (87-89) FBs all move a ton, making Buttrey one of this class’ premier groundball pitchers; emerging CU that he still doesn’t fully believe in, but pitch improved significantly in last six months – now sits 81-85 with plus upside (arm action is there), but it will take time and practice; 76-79 kCB with above-average upside that he’ll sometimes throw harder (low-80s), pretty impressive pitch when the velocity is up but remains inconsistent pitch to pitch; good athlete; some concern about late spring velocity loss (dipped back down to last summer’s upper-80s, 90-91 peak) and advanced age for his class; when a team saw Buttrey will determine how high he goes – on his best day, he’s a clear first day talent; when his fastball is slower and flatter, he’s just a guy; 6-5, 210 pounds"

Baseball Draft Report: http://baseballdraft...base-prospects/

"2. 3B Tanner Rahier (Palm Desert HS, California): plus arm strength; accurate arm; quick bat; good power; good fielder with well above-average range; intriguing raw power, above-average for me; not toolsy, but gets it done; ball jumps off bat, special sound; likely a 3B as a pro; impressive pitch recognition; Evan Longoria comp; only question for me is power upside, hit tool is outstanding; some believe he’ll stick at SS, Gold Glove upside at 3B; 6-2, 205 pounds; R/R"

#29 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:54 AM

One more pitch for Peter O'Brien for our 2nd round pick IF he's still there.

http://www.baseballa... ... ith-video/
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#30 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Rahier, please. I'm skeptical of velocity jumps, especially if they are followed by a decline later, so no thanks on Buttrey. Thanks Hobgood.

#31 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Baseball Draft Report: http://baseballdraft...hing-prospects/

"RHP Ty Buttrey (Providence HS, North Carolina): once sat 87-91 FB hitting 92, but pumped up to consistent 90-94, hitting 95-96 by early spring; two-seam FB stays 90-92 – pitch is a certifiable bat breaker; two-seam, four-seam, and cut (87-89) FBs all move a ton, making Buttrey one of this class’ premier groundball pitchers; emerging CU that he still doesn’t fully believe in, but pitch improved significantly in last six months – now sits 81-85 with plus upside (arm action is there), but it will take time and practice; 76-79 kCB with above-average upside that he’ll sometimes throw harder (low-80s), pretty impressive pitch when the velocity is up but remains inconsistent pitch to pitch; good athlete; some concern about late spring velocity loss (dipped back down to last summer’s upper-80s, 90-91 peak) and advanced age for his class; when a team saw Buttrey will determine how high he goes – on his best day, he’s a clear first day talent; when his fastball is slower and flatter, he’s just a guy; 6-5, 210 pounds"

Baseball Draft Report: http://baseballdraft...base-prospects/

"2. 3B Tanner Rahier (Palm Desert HS, California): plus arm strength; accurate arm; quick bat; good power; good fielder with well above-average range; intriguing raw power, above-average for me; not toolsy, but gets it done; ball jumps off bat, special sound; likely a 3B as a pro; impressive pitch recognition; Evan Longoria comp; only question for me is power upside, hit tool is outstanding; some believe he’ll stick at SS, Gold Glove upside at 3B; 6-2, 205 pounds; R/R"

Fine names; author's evaluations and rankings probably not worth your time. Old and/or incorrect infor all over that link.

I like Rahier as a pick for Baltimore.
@NickJFaleris

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Do you agree with Rahier having 'Gold Glove' upside at 3rd? Do you like his bat better than Esposito?

#33 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Do you agree with Rahier having 'Gold Glove' upside at 3rd? Do you like his bat better than Esposito?

Like his bat much better than Esposito (though different players at different stages). Gold glove is a little rich, as I think it implies potential best in game at that position. Above-average glove, plus arm strength is closer to what scouts would probably tell you. Carson Kelly comparable with maybe a tad more arm strength.
@NickJFaleris

#34 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

Chris Beck, RHP, Georgia Southern was highly rated (top ten pick) going into this year. His stuff was down for whatever reason, some saying his arm slot dropped. Is he worthy of taking a flier on in the 2nd round?

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Chris Beck, RHP, Georgia Southern was highly rated (top ten pick) going into this year. His stuff was down for whatever reason, some saying his arm slot dropped. Is he worthy of taking a flier on in the 2nd round?

I'd be concerned that his stuff was down because of an injury, but that seems like great potential value at this point.

#36 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Yeah, an arm injury is possible. However, he threw 4 complete games this year, averaged more innings per start than 2011 and his K's were about the same. The most notable difference was in hits allowed.

http://web1.ncaa.org...rv/careerplayer

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Callis agrees with you and Mayo. Callis saying he is the top name on the BA board.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:42 AM

Reds took Rahier.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'd be interested in Nick Williams with the 3rd rd pick, if he is still there.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'd be interested in Nick Williams with the 3rd rd pick, if he is still there.

Darn. Went 93rd overall to Texas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=