• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

List any non-first round draft prospects you'd like to keep an eye on, and hope the O's may take.

For me, guys I'd be watching for in the 2nd:
O'Brien - C - MIA
Fontana - SS - FLA
Ramsey - OF - FSU

Mid-late round guys:
Jimmy Reed, RP - MD
Shane Basen, 3B - UNC-Charlotte
@JeremyMStrain

#2 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

Pat Light RHP Monmouth
Peter O'Brien C/1B Miami
Tony Renda 2B California

#3 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Some interesting names -- will have details on these guys over at Camden Depot, probably Monday morning.

2nd
Lewis Brinson, of, Coral Springs HS (Fla.)
Mitch Brown, rhp, Century HS (Minn.)
Barret Barnes, of, Texas Tech
Brian Johnson, lhp, Florida
Mathison, c, Calallen HS (Texas)
Matt Smoral, lhp, Solon HS (Ohio)
Lance McCullers, lhp, Jesuit HS (Fla.)
Hunter Virant, lhp, Camarillo HS (Calif.)

3rd-5th
Mike White, of/2b, Spain Park HS (Ala.)
Kenny Diekroeger, 2b/ss, Stanford
Duane Underwood, rhp, Pope HS (Ga.)
Matt Olson, Parkview HS, (Ga.)
Trav Jankowski, of, Stony Brook
Chase DeJong, rhp, Wilson HS (Calif.)
Austin Nola, SS, LSU

6th+
Jayce Boyd, 1b, FSU
Ross Stripling, rhp, Texas A&M
Nathan Mikolas, of, Bradford HS (Wisc.)
Kevin Ross, Niles West HS (Ill.)
Jeremy Rathjen, of, Rice
Dylan Floro, rhp, Fullerton
Hudson Randall, rhp, Florida
Bralin Jackson, of, Raytown South HS (Mo.)
Josh Conway, rhp, Coastal Carolina
Christian Jones, lhp, Oregon
Christian Walker, 1b, South Carolina
Hoby Milner, rhp, Texas
Kevin Brady, rhp, Clemson
Xavier Turner, of, Sandusky HS (Ohio)
Blake Brown, of, Missouri
Eric Semmelhack, rhp, UW-Milwaukee
@NickJFaleris

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I actually meant to ask you the other day where you saw Nola and Brady going. I'm not real good at the later round projecting yet. I was thinking 3-5th for Brady and not real sure about Nola, cause I like his little brother a lot more.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I actually meant to ask you the other day where you saw Nola and Brady going. I'm not real good at the later round projecting yet. I was thinking 3-5th for Brady and not real sure about Nola, cause I like his little brother a lot more.

Gausman, Eades and Nola could be back-to-back-to-back top 5 draft picks. Pretty scary.
@NickJFaleris

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Gausman, Eades and Nola could be back-to-back-to-back top 5 draft picks. Pretty scary.

Yeah I was thinking that as I was watching their run before the SEC tourney. The game they got eliminated I was wondering why they threw Goody instead of Nola the whole game.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Heard someone bring up Ryan Ripken's name. I'm sure it's just a family thing but is there anything worth noting with him?
@JeffLongBP

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Heard someone bring up Ryan Ripken's name. I'm sure it's just a family thing but is there anything worth noting with him?

Check out this thread Jeff: http://baltimorespor....php?f=17&t=500
  • JeffLong likes this

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Who are some names that you hope will be available to the O's with the 65th overall pick?

From our April 20th Q&A:

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Due to all the compensation picks, the O’s next selection in the draft will be the 65th overall pick. Who are some players you find interesting in that range of the draft?”

Rawnsley: “I did my Mock Draft V.1 with 60 picks, then did a “Next 10″ in alpha order. I’m going to move a couple of these guys into the top 60 in V.2, but this is who they were:
Next 10 (alphabetical order): RHP Mitchell Brown (Century HS, MN), C Clint Coulter (Union HS, WA), OF Jeff Gelalich (UCLA), RHP Branden Kline (Virginia), RHP Dan Langfield (Memphis), RHP Pat Light (Monmouth), C Wyatt Mathisen (Carroll HS, TX), 3B Corey Seager (Northwest Cabarrus HS, NC), 1B Adam Brett Walker, (Jacksonville), 3B Patrick Wisdom (St. Mary’s).”

Garrioch: “A quick answer is high school talent that slides. Matt Smoral, Trey Williams, Walker Weickel and Nick Williams have been sliding for various reasons. All are top talents and taking a prep talent that slides would be best. A couple college players that might be there are Jeff Gelalich and Stefan Sabol who are both very good talents.”

Ozga: “Projecting that area of the draft at this point is tough, especially this early in the process, but we’ll give it a whirl. At 65, I’d look at one of the talented prep outfielders like Nick Williams (Dom Brown type of player and athlete), Lewis Brinson (reminds me a little of a CF version of Austin Wilson from Stanford), and DJ Davis (four potential plus tools) if they are still available. I’m also particularly high on prep bats CJ Hinojosa and Alex Bregman, both first round quality talents who may fall due to spring injuries. There are almost too many pitching possibilities that I feel bad mentioning any for fear of leaving somebody exciting out. A pair of California prep righties stand out as viable picks at 65: Kieran Lovegrove and Shane Watson. Lefthander Sam Selman is a personal favorite who is slowly starting to put it together this year for Vanderbilt. His stuff is electric when on (mid-90s fastball, low-80s slider, emerging change), but command and inconsistent velocity will almost certainly keep him out of the first. Selman was compared to Brian Matusz before enrolling at Vandy – hopefully that comp doesn’t spook any O’s fans. College reliever and potential pro starter Michael Morin is another favorite. I’m one of those guys who will do anything for a good changeup, and Morin has great one. I’ve compared him to a young Ryan Madson (pre-Madson’s 2008 big velocity jump), but I’m not sure the industry consensus likes him enough as I do so 65 might be too early.”

RHP Mitchell Brown (Century HS, MN):
C Clint Coulter (Union HS, WA):
OF Jeff Gelalich (UCLA):
RHP Branden Kline (Virginia):
RHP Dan Langfield (Memphis):
RHP Pat Light (Monmouth):
C Wyatt Mathisen (Carroll HS, TX):
3B Corey Seager (Northwest Cabarrus HS, NC):
1B Adam Brett Walker, (Jacksonville):
3B Patrick Wisdom (St. Mary’s):
LHP Matt Smoral (Solon, Ohio):
3B Trey Williams (Saugus, CA):
RHP Walker Weickel (Olympia, Orlando, FL)
OF Nick Williams (Galveston, TX)
C Stefan Sabol (Aliso Viejo, CA)

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

I posted a few in the other thread, but when you get to the end of the 1st and supp, every year a couple guys drop, and I think you can't guess at who it will be, one of those will be the pick I think.
@JeremyMStrain

#11 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

I posted a few in the other thread, but when you get to the end of the 1st and supp, every year a couple guys drop, and I think you can't guess at who it will be, one of those will be the pick I think.

Would be interesting if the O's would look at Kline since he's a local product (Thomas Johnson HS in Frederick).
Some see him as a bullpen arm but he's interesting. Reminds me of Anthony Meo from last year in that way.
@JeffLongBP

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

Would be interesting if the O's would look at Kline since he's a local product (Thomas Johnson HS in Frederick).
Some see him as a bullpen arm but he's interesting. Reminds me of Anthony Meo from last year in that way.

Yeah I brought him up in one of these threads a while back actually.

I like Ramsey from FSU, and I think he goes in the supp-high 2nd, so he could be there.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

I like Ramsey from FSU, and I think he goes in the supp-high 2nd, so he could be there.

Klaw & Kevin Goldstein mentioned that Ramsey was likely to go in the supp as a signable guy, but said he wasn't a true day 1 talent.
@JeffLongBP

#14 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Klaw & Kevin Goldstein mentioned that Ramsey was likely to go in the supp as a signable guy, but said he wasn't a true day 1 talent.

Definitely not a Day 1 talent...
@NickJFaleris

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Yeah definitely some holes in the game, but I like him at 65 if he gets there.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Meh. What is he as a future player?
@NickJFaleris

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Probably a 4th OF with some pop. Kinda reminds me of Reimold a little bit. I think he'll get there and not stall out in AA/AAA though.

Like I said in the other thread somewhere, I'd really be shooting for who falls from the end of the first like they do every year, but if nothing really exciting is sitting there, I'm good with a ML 4th OF at 65, and then target some BP arms in the 3-5 range. If Kline is still there at 65, I'd probably take him over Ramsey, probably headed to the pen, but I see a LITTLE something in there that I think might come through as a starter.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Probably a 4th OF with some pop. Kinda reminds me of Reimold a little bit. I think he'll get there and not stall out in AA/AAA though.

Like I said in the other thread somewhere, I'd really be shooting for who falls from the end of the first like they do every year, but if nothing really exciting is sitting there, I'm good with a ML 4th OF at 65, and then target some BP arms in the 3-5 range. If Kline is still there at 65, I'd probably take him over Ramsey, probably headed to the pen, but I see a LITTLE something in there that I think might come through as a starter.

I don't see power -- swing too flat for my taste and not sure he creates enough leverage. Maybe a 4th outfielder type profile, but why take that at 65 when you have potential MLB starters available? Maybe I'm too light on him. Shrug.
@NickJFaleris

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Possible, saw some good line drive power and figure that will uptick a little bit as he gets stronger in the pros. He's polarizing, I've talked to people that like him a lot and people that wouldn't touch him at all.

You are right in the sense that there could very well be some potential starters hanging around, that's why I'd be focusing on those late first round guys and seeing what drops through. I'm not super extreme on him like I am on Stroman, but I like him enough I'd think about him at 65. LOVE him in the 3rd, like him at 65 but depends on who else is there. I'm sure I could find 4-5 names I'd take over him there easy.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Bump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=