155 replies to this topic

#1 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:08 PM

Mack said it well. A culture change is needed. Whether its bringing in different players, different coaches or both. If Elias essentially runs this back I will be so disappointed that I genuinely dont know how much excitement Ill have by the spring. Theyve shit the bed two years in a row. You have to make real changes
  • fishteacher likes this

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,173 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:11 PM

I said this in the game thread, but while I don't believe Hyde was the entire issue, when a team with this many blue chip players underperforms this consistently and universally, it has to fall on the manager.

I'm ready to see a change.

#3 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:13 PM

Coaching staff has to go. I'd be fine today if most of the players go too but I probably won't think that next week. But some sort of shake up is needed, the leadership ain't getting it done, yeah culture change. There were injuries yes, but something happened after June and it's the staff's job to prevent that.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:18 PM

It's time to move on. Thank Hyde for what he did and endured. He got a lot of leash for being a good company man during the tanking years. He's not a war time manager, to use a Weber reference.

Hitting coaches gotta go. They're the scapegoat for what this team became.

French can stay.

#5 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:19 PM

Hyde has to go.

Deadwood like Mountcastle has to go.

I’d let Tony Poppins walk.

Hate to say it but we need more guys like Frazier
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,510 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:21 PM

I'll keep most of the players and see if new coaching staff can get them playing to their potential.

Could be convinced either way on Santander. I likely QO and let him walk, but if that diminishes his market I'm happy with a 3-year deal. I'm handing a job to Holliday and ok doing so with Mayo and/or Kjerstad tough would prefer not both. Ready to move on from Mountcastle even if it's a cheap trade. Probably keep O'Hearn as a bench player and part time DH.

Sign Burnes or trade for Crochet. Or both. Want to add two good SP to Eflin, Rodriguez and Kremer. Will reluctantly settle for one of it's a stud like Burnes or Crochet and figure 5th between Povich, Rogers, and Suarez until deadline or injured SP return late depending on how they do.

Trade for Crochet would require someone from group of Cowser, Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad or Basallo and I'm ok with that.

I want to add one good RP plus Felix returning.

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:23 PM

Sure, you can fire and trade whoever you want as long as you think they're the cause of the problems. Some of us here might think we know how to fix it, but since none of us has access to the clubhouse and the front office, anything on our end is pure conjecture. 

Fire the manager (192 wins in the last two seasons), fire the hitting coaches (remember the first half of the season), fire the GM (took us from a joke to a contender in five years), trade guys away, run them out of the league, etc. But you'd better be right.

• RShack likes this

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,818 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:24 PM

I expect us to run it back with Hyde and very little movement like we’ve seen the last two off seasons.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:26 PM

Rubenstein talked a big game about wanting to bring a championship to Baltimore. I'm a big ownership shouldn't get involved in the operation of the team guy, but we'll see how serious he is about wanting to win.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:29 PM

Rubenstein talked a big game about wanting to bring a championship to Baltimore. I'm a big ownership shouldn't get involved in the operation of the team guy, but we'll see how serious he is about wanting to win.

Elias has been my boy from the jump. He has to make real changes. Its on him for now. Ownership needs to just provide him the money he wants and step back. If he doesnt make changes or if this team flames out next year all bets are off. Ownership will need to get more hands on

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:32 PM

Do you think he's serious about winning only if he opts to be a meddlesome owner and makes a bunch of knee-jerk interventions after a disappointing end to the season? (Not snark... this is a real question...)

• mdrunning likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:32 PM

SP is expensive and we need several, so this offseason should tell us.

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:39 PM

Elias hasn't shown much aggression with regard to improving the team. Burnes was the first real aggressive move he made towards winning. Lyles, Gibson types don't count.

This offseason needs aggression.

#14 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 07:39 PM

Do you think he's serious about winning only if he opts to be a meddlesome owner and makes a bunch of knee-jerk interventions after a disappointing end to the season? (Not snark... this is a real question...)

That's the last thing you want an owner to do.

#15 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 08:46 PM

SP was not the problem. Rotation had the best ERA it's had in years, despite the injuries. However, think it w/b fashionable among Orioles' organization reps and some in local media to blame "the injuries" for the Orioles' collapse. That's excuse-making. I wish it had been injuries because it w/b obvious what needs fixing. But ain't so. It's the hitting, stupid.

I don't know if he hitting coaches are the problem, either. The were good enough or a year and a half. Did they suddenly get dumb? 

The cause is the players. And Adley Rutschman leads the pack.

First half (90 games): .276 16 hr 59 RBI

2nd half (58) .207, 3-20

Was he hurt? Sick? what?

Gunnar Henderson

First half (95 games) 28 hr 63 RBI .287, slug .584

Second half:9-29, .273, slug .447

As they go, so go the Orioles. I've said all along that these 2 are the heart of the team and must be signed long term. But now, do you? Did they just slump or has the pitching simply caught up with them? Will they (particularly Rutschman) recover? Or would we have Chris Davis II? I'm really worried about Rutsch.

Santander batted only .207 over his last 28 days although the power numbers held. 

Ryan O'Hearn

First half(78 games) 11-37 .274

2nd half (64) 4-22 .250

Just a sample...but you get the idea.Total collapse the bat. WTH happened??

Do you fire Hyde??? The buck stops with him. But DO you? I don't know, frankly.I wouldn't fire                                                                     the coaches. Give 'em another chance.

I'd like them to trade Mountcastle and Mullins though. Get something for them while you still can.

• russsnyder likes this

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 08:50 PM

I'm absolutely signing Gunnar long-term. I'll let Adley play his contract out. He's not a 8-10 year contract guy.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 08:57 PM

Rubenstein already released a statement about building on the strong foundation and coming back strong next year.

Will Elias be able to do what it takes to push the team over the edge? This year he added Burnes out of desperation.

I don't think he'll be as restricted as he was during the Angelos years. It's time for him to put up or shut up as well.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 08:58 PM

We talk about culture change and thats absolutely true but to be more specific they dont have enough players that play with an edge. They were soft. They are soft. As poor a manager as I think Hyde is the DNA has to change too. You have to find more players that play with an edge or you need to find the right manager to bring that side out of them.

Was OHearn the only Os player that got tossed all year?? THats all I remember. Like, I get it you cant get yourself tossed every night and it should rarely happen but you know what sometimes you just got to lay into an ump or an opponent and stand your ground. I hated how we handled the Yanks throwing at us. I hated it. Hyde, the players, no one took control. Im talking about in NY. Obviously Hyde went at their dugout in the moment after another one of our guys was hit. But what happened after that. Again, nothing. He even let it go in the postgame stuff. I want to see some redass next year. There has to be more fire. These games and these sports are played off emotion. Enough with the Legos. Enough with the video games. Enough with the Birdbath and homer hose. Go get your mind right and focus on winning baseball games in October.
  • NewMarketSean and fishteacher like this

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,428 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:01 PM

I don't see a single leader on this team. Maybe McCann. Maybe O'Hearn. All of the young guys are soft. Westburg might be the one with the most potential in that department. Gunnar has some intensity, but he's just along for the ride.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,527 posts

Posted 02 October 2024 - 09:10 PM

I don't see a single leader on this team. Maybe McCann. Maybe O'Hearn. All of the young guys are soft. Westburg might be the one with the most potential in that department. Gunnar has some intensity, but he's just along for the ride.

Gunnar can be that guy but he still has to mature a bit. And yes Westy too. I still have Adley in there. I tihnk this was a down year. He may have been hurt. Its hard to know but Im a believer in him still being a key piece. Those are your 3 core pieces on the position player side. GRod has that fire in his belly too on the pitching side. Just want to note that. Again, other than those 3 youre obviously gonna bring back some of the other guys but Im totally on board with moving anybody not named Gunnar, Adley, or Westburg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=