Can Mayo pitch?

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,088 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2024 - 07:46 PM

I find there is never a better time to try and repair a bad transmission than when you're 2/3 of the way through a long road trip. Agree?

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 07:46 PM

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they can work on him. In the middle of a pennant chase is less than ideal, but if they can unlock something he had 2-3 years ago.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:07 PM

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they can work on him. In the middle of a pennat chase is less than ideal, but if they can unlock something he had 2-3 years ago.

3 years ago. 2 years ago he was terrible.

#6 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 01 August 2024 - 08:14 PM

I didn’t think his stuff looked bad. I only watched the first 2 innings. Obviously, that 3 run homer was a back breaker. Hopefully, he got his worst second half game out of the way. I’m not expecting much but I think he’ll be a serviceable #4-#5 starter.

#7 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 09:50 AM

He wasn't bad last year, however, when his ERA was right around 4.00 and his WHIP 1.220. He was an All-Star one year, bad one year, and then had a bad start in 2024 but was having a good stretch when the Orioles got him. I still wish we could have gotten more for Norby, but Rogers hasn't been nearly as stinko as some want to portray him.

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 09:55 AM

He wasn't bad last year, however, when his ERA was right around 4.00 and his WHIP 1.220. He was an All-Star one year, bad one year, and then had a bad start in 2024 but was having a good stretch when the Orioles got him. I still wish we could have gotten more for Norby, but Rogers hasn't been nearly as stinko as some want to portray him.

Last year was 18 innings.

He is fine, he is a major league starting pitcher and you need like 8-9 of them these days. He will probably be useful to have next year when people are inevitably missing starts. But most everyone’s goal was to improve the playoff rotation, and it’s not clear cut he even makes it. People are annoyed more due to expectations, less due to him in particular.
  • Mackus likes this

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 10:27 AM

He didn't pitch barely at all last year.

Great in '21.  Awful in '22.  Hurt in '23.  Below average in '24.

#10 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 11:31 AM

Off-subject I guess. But as terrible as Rogers was last night, Stowers might have been worse. Fanned all 4 times he batted.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,462 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 August 2024 - 11:56 AM

Off-subject I guess. But as terrible as Rogers was last night, Stowers might have been worse. Fanned all 4 times he batted.

I will take a player in the lineup with 4 Ks any time over a pitcher going 4.1 innings and allowing 6 hits and 3 walks. Any time.

#12 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 09:44 PM

Just making an observation, not defending the trade. I think it sucked as most of you do.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 11:13 PM

Woulda been nice to have Snell's most recent start have been for us!

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 11:28 PM

Salt in the wound.

#15 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 11:33 PM

Snell wasn't getting traded regardless.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 03 August 2024 - 09:16 AM

SF would have traded Snell for the right offer. It’s just that it would’ve taken an offer I doubt I’d make, and one Mike Elias definitely wouldn’t have. The bigger issue as I see it is that the Orioles should have been the ones to sign Snell to his short-term, high AAV deal in the offseason. That was the failure.

• mweb08 likes this

#17 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 03 August 2024 - 09:29 AM

SF would have traded Snell for the right offer. It’s just that it would’ve taken an offer I doubt I’d make, and one Mike Elias definitely wouldn’t have. The bigger issue as I see it is that the Orioles should have been the ones to sign Snell to his short-term, high AAV deal in the offseason. That was the failure.

The Giants are still trying to compete for this year; they only shipped out Alex Cobb because they were getting Robbie Ray back.

My house isn't for sale, but if you offered me seven figures for it, there'd be a moving truck in my driveway tonight. I guess you could argue that Snell was available for the right price, but it was a price so exorbitant even the Giants knew they wouldn't get it. The fact he didn't move would seem to demonstrate that no one else was willing to go that high for him, either.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 03 August 2024 - 09:30 AM

I agree, but that deal has been a disaster until a few weeks ago. Montgomery is the guy I wanted more (no comp pick) and he is still a disaster.

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,088 posts

Posted 03 August 2024 - 10:07 AM

I agree, but that deal has been a disaster until a few weeks ago. Montgomery is the guy I wanted more (no comp pick) and he is still a disaster.

It was a disaster in the 1st half. Since returning in July Snell has been excellent. I don’t think I’d have any regrets with him in the rotation right now.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 August 2024 - 10:22 AM

I would just like to add that Rogers and Patrick Corbin have been actually pretty similar for the last couple months, but at the deadline, Corbin gave a Nats record 11 runs that day, ....

....so hey, at least he was better than Corbin's worst ever and team record bad start.  See, sunshine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=