#1 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,463 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:13 PM

With Westburg out till late September at least screw the rookie status for next year.

Get Mayo up here and give him a go. Don't have to start him but what else you going to do? Bring Vavra back?

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:15 PM

With Westburg out till late September at least screw the rookie status for next year.

Get Mayo up here and give him a go. Don't have to start him but what else you going to do? Bring Vavra back?

If they just hand Urias the job the could bring up the guy the acquired yesterday as a uti inf. Hopefully its Mayo tho
  • Mackus likes this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:16 PM

Doesn't have to be, but that's what I'd do.  They could make Urias the everyday 3B and just call up a utility infielder like Nick Maton or recently re-acquired friend Livan Soto.

But I'd find out if Mayo can handle things defensively.  Only reason not to do that would be if they are just completely convinced he can't play 3B in the majors.  He's still been spending some time there in the minors recently so I don't think they feel that way.  So out of necessity, it's time to test the glove.

#4 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:19 PM

Iโ€™d love to see Mayo get the call but Ramon swung the bat well last night. Didnโ€™t see him today. With Gunnarโ€™s recent troubles they may be even more reticent to try Mayo at this time. If I were betting, Iโ€™d bet on Soto but Ramon and Holliday starting virtually every day.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:24 PM

Get that bye and we won't need to play for about 9 1/2 weeks.  If he doesn't need surgery, then I'd be optimistic that Jordan will be back with some time to get ready as well.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:26 PM

Iโ€™d love to see Mayo get the call but Ramon swung the bat well last night. Didnโ€™t see him today. With Gunnarโ€™s recent troubles they may be even more reticent to try Mayo at this time. If I were betting, Iโ€™d bet on Soto but Ramon and Holliday starting virtually every day.

He homered today, so swung it pretty well.  Urias was terrible in April but has been quite good since.  But that's in a part-time role. Everyday he might get exposed a bit.  But still, I'd expect him to be close to a league average bat if we need him.  I'm very confident Mayo would hit better, but don't know if he will be even passable at 3B.  But I wanna find out!

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:30 PM

Can always use Urias as defensive replacement in close and late. 

Mayo should be getting the call.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:31 PM

Holliday here now means we don't necessarily need a backup SS, can use him when Gunnar needs some time.

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 03:35 PM

We can survive with Urias.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:04 PM

We can survive with Urias.

I fully believe that is true, but I do think they should be calling up Mayo all the same.

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:05 PM

Urias is a league average (102 OPS+) with good defense at 3B. Holliday SHOULD be am upgrade over Mateo. We'll be OK.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:10 PM

Urias is a league average (102 OPS+) with good defense at 3B. Holliday SHOULD be am upgrade over Mateo. We'll be OK.

I've always liked Urias, I really like him as a UTI.  I think he can do a fine job for a month, and hold things down.

I'm not sure that Mayo over the next 4-6 weeks as a Rookie would even out produce him.

I suspect I'm not going to love Mayo's defense at 3rd. 

I'm still bringing Mayo up. 
Obviously he's one of the best prospects in the game.
He's crushed AAA pitching. 
If he's not a complete liability at 3rd, he can be there during the beginning and middle parts of games... and you can replace him with Urias in close and late situations. 

My primary thought is that you shouldn't have to ride with Urias + Soto / Maton; when you've got a guy like Mayo just waiting for a call. 

#13 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:12 PM

The Orioles won a division title in 2014 with Ryan Flaherty at third after Manny got hurt.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:14 PM

The Orioles won a division title in 2014 with Ryan Flaherty at third after Manny got hurt.

Yes.  The O's can get past losing Westburg. 

Like Flaherty, Urias can play a quality 3rd base (though the metrics haven't been the same since the GG). 

In the next 6 weeks, it's reasonable to think Urias might out-produce Mayo head-to-head. 

I'm still promoting Mayo. 

#15 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:21 PM

I'm OK with riding with Urias until Westburg is back. Be OK with Mayo. Don't know if they trust Mayo's defense.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:24 PM

If it isn't Mayo I think that will tell us everything we need to know about their evaluation of his defense.
  • RichardZ likes this

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,578 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:24 PM

I'm not sure I get this notion that since it's possible to win with less, we should therefore try to win with less.

#18 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:27 PM

Livan Soto is headed up to join the Orioles, per source

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:28 PM

Mayo will be your future at 1B. They don't trust him at 3B.

#20 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 31 July 2024 - 04:30 PM

Mayo will be your future at 1B. They don't trust him at 3B.

I think this has to be the conclusion at this point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=