https://www.masnspor...n-keeps-rolling

#2 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:00 AM

Definitely the biggest story of the season so far. I can't remember the last time I looked at the AL stats and saw the O's no. 1 in team ERA. Pre-injuries this would have been a surprise but how they've been able to maintain is pretty remarkable. We keep waiting for the clock to strike 12 but it hasn't happened yet.

#3 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:34 AM

Definitely the biggest story of the season so far. I can't remember the last time I looked at the AL stats and saw the O's no. 1 in team ERA. Pre-injuries this would have been a surprise but how they've been able to maintain is pretty remarkable. We keep waiting for the clock to strike 12 but it hasn't happened yet.

They had some rough outings since the injuries but overall, there's no complaints from me.  From the bullpen either and I know that gets ripped hard on here.  With their all or nothing offense, solid pitching has been the one constant. 

#4 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:16 PM

We're very good w/Burnes and Grayrod and decent w/Suarez and probably Kremer. Povich remains questionable and I'd like another dependable SP. Wish they'd give McDermott a look.

I still think the bullpen is the higher priority though, particularly in postseason.They need 2 quality guys there. Right now, they're too thin.

#5 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:26 PM

We're very good w/Burnes and Grayrod and decent w/Suarez and probably Kremer. Povich remains questionable and I'd like another dependable SP. Wish they'd give McDermott a look.

I still think the bullpen is the higher priority though, particularly in postseason.They need 2 quality guys there. Right now, they're too thin.

As bad as Povich was today, McDermott threw 33 pitches and didn’t finish the 1st inning in AAA. Not a good day for young Oriole pitching.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:32 PM

Our young pitching is in trouble. Povich and McDermott are both majorly flawed. Johnson, Young, Brnovich probably won't be able to help until sometime next year. Ambruester and Pham have been getting torched.

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,469 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:47 PM

Does anybody really think this rotation is as good as the numbers? I like Burnes and GRod. I am eh on Kremer, fine as a back end guy. But I don't want anything to do with Irvin o Povich the rest of the way let alone in October. Frankly if the playoffs were tomorrow I'd be thinking Suarez is my #3.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,099 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:50 PM

McDermott is a RP. I hope he can be a good one and am interested in seeing him up here in that role sooner than later.

Povich has a shot at being a starter. Wouldn't trust him this postseason even if he's good the rest of the way, but ok penciling him in for next year if he has a solid rest of '24. Not panicking and sending him down after one abysmal start. Two abysmal ones, or like 4 bad ones, and can demote him. But he's been solid more often than not so far which is tough for a rookie.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:17 PM

Our young pitching is in trouble. Povich and McDermott are both majorly flawed. Johnson, Young, Brnovich probably won't be able to help until sometime next year. Ambruester and Pham have been getting torched.

The vast majority of pitching prospects are flawed. Even Bradish and Rodriguez had major growing pains. Can’t count on them this year but still have roles in 2025 and beyond. McDermott actually could really help the bullpen down the stretch tho.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#10 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:29 PM

The front office's heavy emphasis on position player draft picks has definitely been a net positive but right now the best pitching prospect actually drafted by Elias being #15 in the system according to MLB.com isn't exactly the most encouraging sign

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:39 PM

The front office's heavy emphasis on position player draft picks has definitely been a net positive but right now the best pitching prospect actually drafted by Elias being #15 in the system according to MLB.com isn't exactly the most encouraging sign

Not sure why it matters based on who they actually drafted versus trading for and continuing to develop.

#12 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:44 PM

Not sure why it matters based on who they actually drafted versus trading for and continuing to develop.

Well I'd certainly hope they're not planning to trade away the closer and DH from any other possible playoff teams at the deadline going forward so it's really just the draft and international acquisitions going forward   

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:45 PM

Can we start to question the Os pitching development? At least in the minors. I dont know that its been bad but no one outside of Bradish has really lit the world on fire either. 

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:48 PM

Can we start to question the Os pitching development? At least in the minors. I dont know that its been bad but no one outside of Bradish has really lit the world on fire either.

All I know is that the Orioles pitching development has been praised across the board by a lot of very smart people.

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:50 PM

Well I'd certainly hope they're not planning to trade away the closer and DH from any other possible playoff teams at the deadline going forward so it's really just the draft and international acquisitions going forward

I’d be fine with buying and selling at the same time. Guys like Hays, Mountcastle, O’Hearn, etc can still be potentially traded, most likely in the offseason. But I think now that the international side of things is moving along nicely we don’t have much to be worried about to go along with plenty of depth from the draft.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:53 PM

Well then lets see results. GRod was a top 20 guy. Hes been fine in the majors but people do need to understand he is at 99 ERA+ for his career. 110+ this year. Looks like a very solid piece but not a stud. Bradish was a stud. He's hurt. Thats been it. Kremer is ok. This is now their 6th year and they have nobody at AAA or AA who looks like they will step in and be more than back end rotation pieces. McDermott screams RP. Povich may be a 4 or 5 in the mold of Kremer though thats not a given. 

#17 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:58 PM

Well then lets see results. GRod was a top 20 guy. Hes been fine in the majors but people do need to understand he is at 99 ERA+ for his career. 110+ this year. Looks like a very solid piece but not a stud. Bradish was a stud. He's hurt. Thats been it. Kremer is ok. This is now their 6th year and they have nobody at AAA or AA who looks like they will step in and be more than back end rotation pieces. McDermott screams RP. Povich may be a 4 or 5 in the mold of Kremer though thats not a given. 

"He's better if you take all his bad games away" is admittedly true for everyone lol but Grayson's ERA this year is basically being tanked by allowing 7 runs twice, every other game he's allowed 4 (once), 2, 1 or 0. 15 starts, 12 with 2 or fewer ER is pretty solid even with two disasters thrown in there imo. 

• makoman likes this

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,605 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:02 PM

I mean Norfolk's staff is god awful. Just the absolute s**ts. Im in no mood to be told how great our pitching development is when the top level is this bad. 

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:02 PM

Injuries. What if Bradish hadn't got hurt? Johnson and Brnovich recovering from TJS. McDermott and Young still look promising. Lot of interesting arms between Delmarva and Aberdeen. Armbruester and Pham bombing this year has been disappointing.

They definitely slow move their pitching as opposed to the offense.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#20 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:04 PM

Grayson is a stud. Bradish is a stud. Hall was turned into Burnes. Id say they get credit for John Means. Kremer is a fine 3/4 starter.

How many teams have guys lined up to be top to middle of the rotation arms right away? You develop guys that stick as starters and hope to take them to the next level. Pretty sure everyone was downplaying Bradish for a long time until he became who he is. And pitchers just take longer to develop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=