Photo

Who do you trade?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

Poll: Which player are you trading? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

The O's decide to make a big move for a quality starting pitcher. In each case the O's are trading one of these headliners and other pieces. The other pieces are the same in each case. Who are you trading?

1. Coby Mayo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Heston Kjerstad (9 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

3. Jackson Holliday (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

4. None. I won't trade them even for a quality starter. (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 June 2024 - 02:38 PM

Assume the O's decide to trade for a quality SP. They send one key guy and other lesser pieces. In each case the lesser pieces are the same no matter which of the three headliners you send out. In other words the opposing GM will do the trade if you offer them any one of the three big names.

So which do you choose:

1. Coby Mayo

2. Heston Kjerstad

3. Jackson Holliday

4. None. I wouldn't trade any of those guys.

Try not to get hung up on who the other pieces are or who the return starting pitcher would be. Just for sake of discussion assume you view the return as getting good value. Simply put which of these guys would you think has the least long term benefit to the O's.

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,701 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2024 - 02:41 PM

I think we have enough talent in the minors that none of those guys NEED to be in a deal

Of course, everyone is available for the right price.
  • Mike B and RichardZ like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,325 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 02:42 PM

I figure Norby has to be part of any larger trade, but isn't enough on his own for a quality SP. 

For a SP with front-rotation upside (ideally with control); I'm willing to trade Basallo or Kjerstad, and Norby + Beavers, Fabian, and McDermott. 

Think I can get a high leverage reliever for other.

• CantonJester likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 02:43 PM

Kjerstad an easy choice here
  • BobPhelan likes this

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 03:02 PM

Easily Kjersted. Hes a corner OFer who isnt particularly good defensively. So the bat has to hard carry. Mayo might end up in the same spot where his bat has to hard carry him too but I like his prospects as a hitter more than Kjersted.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 03:05 PM

All that said, I dont know that we will need to trade any of the 4 at this deadline. I dont see any big enough names being available.
  • Mackus likes this

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 03:06 PM

I think Elias will get a #3 starter and bullpen help without trading any of the 3 or Basallo. If I was going for someone like Crochet, Kjerstad would be on the table.
  • BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63,028 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 03:10 PM

All that said, I dont know that we will need to trade any of the 4 at this deadline. I dont see any big enough names being available.

Agree. I'd consider any of these guys for a stud but don't see any moving. Wouldn't trade any for Fedde or Eflin or whoever the prototypical #3 starter might be.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 June 2024 - 05:03 PM

Kjerstad an easy choice here

Agreed

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 June 2024 - 06:06 PM

Kjerstad is an easy choice if it's the same starter you are getting....but that's not the way any of this works.

You have to apply the context of the entire roster in the context of the overall plan, ie what you want the rest of this season and 2025+ to look like.

I'll trade any of them in the right deal.  I'll trade none of them in the wrong deal.

#11 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 06:28 PM

I just feel like Kjerstad is going to hit.

He's a little older than a typical prospect which means he doesn't have much more physical development to wait on. He's under team control through his age 31 season. I'm not saying he's not the choice, but I'm not sure that choice is easy like some have been saying. It's not like Mayo is a defensive wizard either, nor is it likely Basallo is, wherever his position winds up being.

Truthfully I don't want to trade any of them unless it's bringing back 2+ years of a TOR starter. I'm never going to say never, but all of these guys look like they have bats that will play in the big leagues for the duration of their team control.
  • CantonJester likes this

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2024 - 06:29 PM

Holliday, Basallo, Mayo are untouchable for me. Teams keep elite talent. 

Kjerstad is certainly tradable in the right deal but in a perfect situation you keep him too.

• weird-O likes this

#13 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 June 2024 - 06:55 PM

Kinda what I figured. I am in the minority of one. I trade Holliday over Kjerstad. I think Holliday has a higher ceiling for sure. But I think he has a lower floor too. I didn't include Basallo because to me he'd be the first too go.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 07:07 PM

Kinda what I figured. I am in the minority of one. I trade Holliday over Kjerstad. I think Holliday has a higher ceiling for sure. But I think he has a lower floor too. I didn't include Basallo because to me he'd be the first too go.

Basallo might be the best hitter of them all.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,090 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2024 - 07:23 PM

I think Holliday has a higher floor and ceiling than Kjerstad. Mayo too. Basallo a lower floor at this point but not for long and a much higher ceiling.

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 June 2024 - 07:35 PM

I think Holliday has a higher floor and ceiling than Kjerstad. Mayo too. Basallo a lower floor at this point but not for long and a much higher ceiling.

You're probably correct. Good problem to have moving forward but a problem that will need to be addressed. My perspective is probably age related. More focused on the near than the far.....lol
  • BobPhelan likes this

#17 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 11:39 PM

It figures to be a season of high demand and rather short supply. I doubt if Elias will be willing to meet the high cost. He'll trade good but not top prospects, which would eliminate the names listed in this poll. Just because the Orioles can likely afford anyone in theory doesn't mean Elias will be willing to pay the price.

Don't know exactly what the price would be, but Scherzer would be a good get if the Rangers continue to fall further behind in the standings, but two months for a high-priced rental shouldn't cost any of the top prospects.

#18 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 12:13 AM

Max Scherzer is exactly who this team needs. 

#19 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 12:15 AM

I just feel like Kjerstad is going to hit.

He's a little older than a typical prospect which means he doesn't have much more physical development to wait on. He's under team control through his age 31 season. I'm not saying he's not the choice, but I'm not sure that choice is easy like some have been saying. It's not like Mayo is a defensive wizard either, nor is it likely Basallo is, wherever his position winds up being.

Truthfully I don't want to trade any of them unless it's bringing back 2+ years of a TOR starter. I'm never going to say never, but all of these guys look like they have bats that will play in the big leagues for the duration of their team control.

I agree. You don't want to deal Kjerstad because most of his peak career will be under team control. 

That's worth something. You have to move on from Santander and O'Hearn to realize his potential though. 

• mdrunning likes this

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,507 posts

Posted 29 June 2024 - 12:21 AM

Max Scherzer is exactly who this team needs. 

Tex has a lot of interesting arms if they decide to sell. Lets help them by beating them the next two days.

• mdrunning likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=