http://www.hardballt...out-of-control/

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Because l wanna take my mind off the O's. Not sure if this has already been mentioned in a thread or anything. The AZ Fall League is experimenting with this.

One of my favorite things about baseball is that there is no clock. They are tinkering with a 20 second clock. I guess if the pitcher doesn't throw before the clock, its a ball.

I really hope this fails miserably. We dont need a pitch clock. So can the pitcher not step off? Does it reset after a pick off attempt? If im a pitcher and the clock is running out and im not ready, just toss to first base and reset.

Oh yeah. I can't wait for the crowd to count down "5, 4, 3, 2, 1" every GD pitch!

Thoughts?
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

Agreed.

No clock needed. It should be up to the umpire to decide.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

Agreed.

No clock needed. It should be up to the umpire to decide.

Except that this is the way it currently works, and the umpires have decided to...not decide. So if you believe that pitchers taking too much time is a problem, there needs to be a better manner of enforcement.

I've said all along what I know is the biggest problem, and how it's not changing, so this doesn't register for me as necessary.

@DJ_McCann

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:13 AM

Except that this is the way it currently works, and the umpires have decided to...not decide. So if you believe that pitchers taking too much time is a problem, there needs to be a better manner of enforcement.

I've said all along what I know is the biggest problem, and how it's not changing, so this doesn't register for me as necessary.

Because it's not an important issue.

I actually can't believe that MLB wants to shorten games. Less commercials, less vendor sales, etc.

Games are 3-3.5 hours. Deal with it.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Because it's not an important issue.

I actually can't believe that MLB wants to shorten games. Less commercials, less vendor sales, etc.

Games are 3-3.5 hours. Deal with it.

Commercials aren't going to change. It's less actual game time.

@DJ_McCann

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

Commercials aren't going to change. It's less actual game time.

Good point. Duh.

#9 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

I vote no.  Do I get a vote?

If there is a pitch clock, can you still step off the rubber as often as you want?   Will they limit the number of times you can throw over to first base?

How much time is supposed to be saved over the course of the game?  A minute and thirty seconds?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

I vote no.  Do I get a vote?

If there is a pitch clock, can you still step off the rubber as often as you want?   Will they limit the number of times you can throw over to first base?

How much time is supposed to be saved over the course of the game?  A minute and thirty seconds?

Not to mention the batters calling time. Stepping out after every pitch.

If I remember, I may track the time between pitches for the first part of today's game. I can't think its really anything well over 20 seconds now. Even for sake of argument, if they cut down five seconds per pitch, call it 300 pitches per game, thats 1500 seconds, or 25 minutes.
@BSLMikeRandall

#11 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

No: Pitch clock

Yes:  Better velcro for batting gloves.  We lose 20 minutes per game to the dang batting glove adjustments.

• SammyBirdland, Mike in STL and KWebz like this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#12 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

No: Pitch clock

Yes:  Better velcro for batting gloves.  We lose 20 minutes per game to the dang batting glove adjustments.

Even better:   No batting gloves.  No elbow pads.  No body armor.   Just hands on wood, like that first pee in the morning.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#13 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

Was just timing Vargas here. His time from receiving the ball to throwing the next pitch was between 9 and 12 seconds from the wind up. Around 13 to 15 seconds from the stretch. Not sure if he's considered a fast worker, but if that is average, a 20 second clock won't be speeding games up.

@BSLMikeRandall

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

Gonzalez was a little slower to the plate. A couple times he was around 12-14 seconds, but hung around 18 seconds usually. Still. 20 seconds isn't going to make the game faster. It's just to add an annoying element. A clock where you really don't need one, and fans counting down like they're at a basketball game. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

Even better:   No batting gloves.  No elbow pads.  No body armor.   Just hands on wood, like that first pee in the morning.

Moises Alou approves.

@DJ_McCann

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hitters are probably a bigger issue than the pitchers.

I think this concept is so overrated...there are minor things you can address but if they take off 3-5 minutes, will that even matter?

#17 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:09 PM

To me, it's not so much about total time, rather it's about pace. It's very frustrating when you have pitchers that work slowly and hitters that are constantly stepping out.
  • RShack likes this

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

David Eckstein responds to the baseball blogosphere which has hated on him so

Utterly magnificent.

• RShack likes this
@DJ_McCann

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

One night at an Orioles game, my brother-in-law and I were talking and we ended up on the subject of World Series winners, and I blew his mind when I named every one going back to 1903.

I don't know what will happen when he sees Mark Simon of ESPN describe the last out of every World Series going back to 1954.

http://espn.go.com/v...d=espn:11755483

@DJ_McCann

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

@BNightengale: Oscar Taveras' agent is telling news reporters in the Dominican that Oscar Taveras was killed in a car wreck. Horrible. #STLCards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=