#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

In all honesty, trade possibilities are not my forte at all. There are some pretty nice names on here.

SG, say a guy like Garza. What kind of package do you think that would take? Would that start with Schoop? Maybe Arrieta or Matusz?

@AdamWolff

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

Adam, to be honest, I don't like most of these names because they are only going to be here for a few months and we can't get picks anymore for them. I would focus on the guys we can have at least through next year..Headley, Butler and DeLaRosa.

I just don't want to give up any of our real prospects for a rental.

I am personally more focused on the offense and improving the defense at third, that's why Headley has been such a focus of mine.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

As for Garza..I like him a lot but I just feel that another team would go a lot crazier for him than I would. But yes, I would put up Schoop or Arrieta for him.

#5 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

Although we have the rotating door of Reynolds/Betemit/Davis at DH right now, I'd seriously look at Billy Butler. He's due $8M for '13 and '14 with a $12.5M team option in '15.

#6 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

You missed one name for Starters: Gavin Floyd

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

White Sox are in the division race and Danks just went on the dl...Floyd is going no where right now.

#8 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Starters:

Dempster
Garza
Stauffer
De La Rosa
Guthrie
Pavano
Greinke
Marcum
Wandy

Third baseman:

Headley
Youk
Callaspo

First base/dh:

Morneau
Carlos Lee
Billy Butler

Dempster- Definitely a possibility. Offer him arbitration and get a draft pick too. As long as Machado, Dylan Bundy, and Schoop aren't involved, I'd do it.
Garza- If we can do that without giving up Machado, Dylan Bundy, or Schoop, yes. Proven success in the AL East.
Stauffer- No. Not the kind of pitcher that the Orioles need to pursue.
De La Rosa- Jorge? Other than being a buy low guy, no real reason to pursue him.
Guthrie- As much as I hate saying this... no. Guthrie is not the kind of pitcher that I'd like to see the Orioles pursue.
Pavano- The last thing the Orioles need is an overpaid pitcher who pitches to contact and allows tons of fly balls.
Greinke- HUGE risk due to his past and his depression, but could also pay off big. As long as we don't give up the big 3 I mentioned earlier, yes. Long-term, no. I love Greinke, but his past is a huge red flag. This coming from someone who knows what Greinke went through when he quit baseball.
Marcum- Definitely a possibility. Fly ball rate is a bit high, but he does miss bats.
Wandy- Houston would have to eat a good portion of that contract because he's making $13 million next year. I do like his ground ball rate though. Could definitely succeed at Camden Yards.

Headley- Heck yes if the price is reasonable.
Youk- If Boston sells low, yes. His recent injuries are a huge red flag though. I'd assume he'd play first base because there's no way he can handle third everyday now.
Callaspo- Definitely a possibility depending on how much the Angels trust Trumbo to play third base. I like his defense at third base. Due to the rarity of elite 3B (Longoria, Beltre, M Cabrera, Zimmerman, Wright are it and all but one have long term deals), the best thing to do would get either a great hitter or great fielder and sacrifice the other. Great fielder mediocre hitter is the smart option.

Morneau- Heck no unless the Twins eat a lot of that deal.
Carlos Lee- Might not be possible. If the Orioles aren't on his no-trade list, if the Astros eat some of that contract, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Billy Butler- Yes, but he could cost quite a bit since he is under control until 2014.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Starters:

Dempster
Garza
Stauffer
De La Rosa
Guthrie
Pavano
Greinke
Marcum
Wandy

Third baseman:

Headley
Youk
Callaspo

First base/dh:

Morneau
Carlos Lee
Billy Butler

Why is Guthrie on the list?, I know plenty of Rockies fans from my time in Colorado and they are frustrated with him. Bottomline with him, is the ship has sailed on him.
@levineps

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

Flava Dave, you may want to look at Delarosa's numbers.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

Callaspo could probably be had cheaply right now..would prefer Headley of course but Callaspo is a nice fall back option.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

http://chickenfriars... ... e-headley/

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Although we have the rotating door of Reynolds/Betemit/Davis at DH right now, I'd seriously look at Billy Butler. He's due $8M for '13 and '14 with a $12.5M team option in '15.

Gotta imagine that he would cost a ton to acquire, and I'm a bit doubtful the Royals want to move him.

That said, he'd be a phenomenal addition if he doesn't take a king's ransom. He's basically the new Travis Hafner.

#14 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

White Sox are in the division race and Danks just went on the dl...Floyd is going no where right now.

Right now that is. Plenty of time to tank, like the Orioles are attempting to do.

They are still a team with the worst system in baseball.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Right now that is. Plenty of time to tank, like the Orioles are attempting to do.

They are still a team with the worst system in baseball.

The AL Central isn't good...no reason to think they will tank so bad in the next 6 weeks that they begin unloading players.

#16 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Honestly, I don't like most of those names. This team is playing well right now, but I still don't think it is sustainable. While the ship has sailed on my predicted 100 loss year I still think that trading away any prospects over C+ for a rental is foolish.

It's also unrealistic to expect other teams to give away those players for nothing. The new CBA hurts the trade value of players, true, but there is still a lot of parity around the league, so the demand will be high for players.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@bbhrusty

#17 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm always surprised by what trades actually get made. Trades like JJ Hardy for Jim Hoey make anything possible.

That said, what are our trade chips? Reynolds, for certain. Betemit, perhaps. For someone of need like Headley, DD should be willing to part with at least some bullpen depth. If Machado and Bundy are untouchable, we really don't have any chips in the minors considering how horrid Schoop has been this year.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm always surprised by what trades actually get made. Trades like JJ Hardy for Jim Hoey make anything possible.

That said, what are our trade chips? Reynolds, for certain. Betemit, perhaps. For someone of need like Headley, DD should be willing to part with at least some bullpen depth. If Machado and Bundy are untouchable, we really don't have any chips in the minors considering how horrid Schoop has been this year.

Schoop is still a legit prospect though.

We also have good arms like Wright, Bridwell, etc....

Plus, at least one of Avery or Reimold and perhaps one of the BP arms...in the right deal, perhaps Arrieta or Britton..or Hunter.

The pieces are there.

#19 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Personally I'd rather wait to see where we are once we call up Britton, Pineiro and possibly Steve Johnson.

Pineiro and Britton are ground ball machines and would play well at home and on the road.

Pineiro has a career 49.2 GB % and Britton is at 52.8%. The average ground ball rate for all of baseball right now is sitting around 45%.

Arrieta is getting battered around right now and is too inconsistent to have the reasonable expectation of staying in the rotation at this point.

We also have to keep in mind that Steve Johnson has an out clause in his contract that if he's not put on the 40-man roster by June 1st then he can opt out and become a free agent.

Before we even talk about acquiring any starters in a trade we should explore what we have with Britton, Johnson and Pineiro.

On the offensive/defensive side of things I really want us to find a way to drop Mark Reynolds - it's not like we're picking up his option, even if we were held at gunpoint. I'm hoping he turns it on with the bat real quick so we could pick up a pack of used baseballs for the guy or package him up with a prospect for someone at the deadline.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

On the offensive/defensive side of things I really want us to find a way to drop Mark Reynolds - it's not like we're picking up his option, even if we were held at gunpoint. I'm hoping he turns it on with the bat real quick so we could pick up a pack of used baseballs for the guy or package him up with a prospect for someone at the deadline.

Still could use his offense and it's not like we have better options at 3rd right now. I remember we got in this debate with Kevin Millwood a few years ago, why don't we drop him since he's not coming back next year. Unless you have a better replacement, it doesn't make sense to drop a player for the sake of dropping him.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=